CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

I have seen the movie three times since the shooting became headline news. The first in a sold out Imax showing, the second in a fairly crowded Saturday night showing, and yesterday at noon in a half full showing.One thing I have noticed is everybody seems to do "the head turn" through the film. Anytime someone enters the theater from the exits, during the movie, I see the head of anybody who happened to notice the person jerk towards them instinctively immediately.I wonder why.Anyone doubting whether or not the shooting is dominant news need look no further. Even for the people seeing the movie, they are thinking about throughout it.

• Like 2

I think your $71M weekend prediction sounds good, but your Tuesday drop is very harsh.

When I saw the $160M estimate for the weekend, I thought it was harsh. I think the Box Office will be different in the coming weeks.

When I saw the $160M estimate for the weekend, I thought it was harsh. I think the Box Office will be different in the coming weeks.

The thing is that discount Tuesdays gives a boost, so even if it did drop, it wouldn't be by 25% for Tues.

Would you mind posting your prediction so I can compare?I'm interested in everyone's opinion for the 10 Day Gross.

Tuesday - 17.6MWednesday - 14.1MThursday - 12.0MFriday - 18.0MSaturday - 24.3MSunday - 18.3M2nd weekend: 60.6MI better be wrong as fuck (which I probably will).

Your argument is a based on a theory, not evidence.

Basically what is going on is people are providing evidence used to base their guesstimates, and you are saying "that is not def. true, anything is possible". The question isn't whats possible, the question is what was likely. The evidence all points in one direction, you are rebutting the evidence with an analysis which differs just for the sake of differing, rather other pieces of evidence which would actually support your claim.

The evidence clearly points north of 180 million. I objectively see no way around that one.

Indicators themselves are theoretical in nature. So if that's all YOUR argument is based on, your presumptions are no more valid than mine. Besides, I saw your predictions prior to the meltdown you Batties are having now... pure fanboy speculation at its worst! For the record, I had it at $180m OW & a $470m finish. Weren't you the loon calling for a... $250m OW?! Yeah, that was very likely indeed. Edited by Sin Graft

I'm catching the 10:25 show at the Lincoln Square IMAX tomorrow morning. My girlfriend's a little nervous but I'm ready to get back into a theater. I'm curious to see how crowded it is.

Probably sold out even at 10:25. It's the second largest IMAX in the world and the movie's doing very well in NYC.

Also for the doubters, do you guys know how down to a science they have the estimates?

By 11 AM west coast time, based on pre-sales, real in depth tracking, midnight showings, early east coast returns, and theater habits, studios can estimate where the films Friday is heading with startling accuracy. How do you think we get such accurate Sunday estimates...on Sunday morning?

Point blank, I feel like there needs to be no further evidence. When the

-HOLLYWOOD REPORTER is saying early on that it is heading for 85-90 million Friday

-Normally low baller Gitesh Pandya says "Super early to know for sure, but source tells me #TDKR now heading for possible high 80s FRI incl midnights"

-When Nikki reports Friday afternoon that it is on pce for "high 80s at least"

These people know their stuff. Nikki is an bitch, but the studio execs have this down to a science. When these are the real time box office estimates based on REAL results...and then the real number turns out to be 75 million? There is only one explanation.

Everybody saying this movie only missed out on 5-10 million, or that the Friday gross would not have topped 80-85 million without the shooting...is basically saying they know more about the box office than the people mentioned above.

Which, for obvious reasons, it complete laughable, nonsensical bullshit.

It is the strongest guess that can be made. Without the shooting, we are looking at least 85 million on Friday, and 180 million for the weekend; i would say those are conservative numbers.

Edited by ExcelFTW

I'm catching the 10:25 show at the Lincoln Square IMAX tomorrow morning. My girlfriend's a little nervous but I'm ready to get back into a theater. I'm curious to see how crowded it is.

I went to the Lincoln Square Friday 6:15 and Saturday 10:10 shows this past weekend IMAX. It's as safe as it can get. Police are stationed inside and outside.What sucks though..... No Previews!

Tuesday - 17.6MWednesday - 14.1MThursday - 12.0MFriday - 18.0MSaturday - 24.3MSunday - 18.3M2nd weekend: 60.6MI better be wrong as fuck (which I probably will).

Your 10 day gross is 285M or so. Which is almost to what I expect.
  • Like 1

Probably sold out even at 10:25. It's the second largest IMAX in the world and the movie's doing very well in NYC.

Yeah, it's tough to get tickets for the big releases. It's why I ordered them almost two weeks ago!

I have seen the movie three times since the shooting became headline news. The first in a sold out Imax showing, the second in a fairly crowded Saturday night showing, and yesterday at noon in a half full showing.One thing I have noticed is everybody seems to do "the head turn" through the film. Anytime someone enters the theater from the exits, during the movie, I see the head of anybody who happened to notice the person jerk towards them instinctively immediately.I wonder why.Anyone doubting whether or not the shooting is dominant news need look no further. Even for the people seeing the movie, they are thinking about throughout it.

I did that when I saw it Friday afternoon.