mmacader

Wednesday (7/25/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $13.77m

Umm.. This isn't too good.I know the shooting has hit this movie but these drops are quite odd.

They are ODD, but again there hasn't been a shooting in a theater in recent memory.

Anyone remember if there was an effect on "New Jack City"? I know it's not the same genre or demographic... or pretty much ANYTHING shared between the two movies. But that did have (I believe) more than one case of someone shooting inside the theater during the screening.

Anything near 1b is an incredible number but knowing the potential... It is really depressing.

Based on its performance in other markets, it looks like $1 billion will happen even without China. India is insane. TDKR already outgrossed TDK by 12% even though it just came out. Opening day admissions in France were 40% ahead of the Avengers opening day admissions, despite the fact that they had to cancel the Paris premier because of the shooting.

Yup, TDKR is the most depressing and frustrating run I've ever followed...and all because of some insane asshole. I hate that I can't think about the movie without thinking about the shootings and having it affect the feeling and mood surrounding the film, and they'll unfortunately forever be linked together.

At this point, I'm waiting for a glimmer of hope but so far not one great drop to compensate for shootings. TDKR run's just doom and gloom so far. Edited by druv10

I wonder if the shooting is having the opposite effect overseas- publicizing the movie in markets where it may have done just okay numbers otherwise.

Or just showing how big of an impact, it's having domestically. Luckily, it's destroying TDK OS so 1B WW should still happen.

Actually looking at numbersDays 1-7 (1 week)Hunger Games 67.3 | DH2 91.1 | TDKR 75.5117.7 | 133.5 | 120.7152.5 | 169.2 | 160.9163.4 | 187.2 | 180.3173.7 | 202.6 | 198.2181.8 | 214.9 | 212.0So its beating THG's pace as well as quickly catching up to DH2 . The deficit on Day 1 was 15, by Sunday it was 9 and now its just 3. By the end of this weekend, it will catch up and go beyond DH2 which means 400 is a lock, now if it also makes more than THG in the 2nd weekend, the 450 is nearly a lock.

Uhhh....Didn't Hunger Games have this little thing called school which deflated it's weekdays vs TDKR having summer days? I'm not saying it won't go past 400M and THG, but using Mon-Wed as any metric seems wrong. I know you're trying to do a whole week with assumed numbers for today, but giving the day-by-day deficit is misleading. Edited by tidbit
  • Like 5

I wonder if the shooting is having the opposite effect overseas- publicizing the movie in markets where it may have done just okay numbers otherwise.

I doubt that. I think this is a situation where TDK was more popular overseas than its box office indicated, kinda like BB was more popular here than its box office indicated. TDK became one of the most bootlegged movies ever in China. From the sounds of it, TDKR is at extreme risk of not having a Chinese release (which would be a shame). But the same kind of issue seems to have occurred in other markets like India. If you told me after BB made $166m overseas that 7 years later a Batman movie could gross $600+ million without China, I would have said you were crazy. The overseas folks are finally figuring out what we've appreciated for decades about this character in the U.S.

Everyone agrees the shooting had an effect on the weekend, but really, it's not going to really affect it that much during the week. These numbers are far from out of the ordinary, in fact, they are ordinary.

• Like 1

Uhhh....Didn't Hunger Games have this little thing called school which deflated it's weekdays vs TDKR having summer days? I'm not saying it won't go past 400M and THG, but using Mon-Wed as any metric seems wrong. I know you're trying to do a whole week with assumed numbers for today, but giving the day-by-day deficit is misleading.

To be fair, this has a pretty decent shot at beating THG's second weekend even though TDKR made less in its non-midnight opening ($130m for TDKR vs. $132m for THG). Plus TDKR has much bigger weekdays, which means its second weekend is being deflated compared to THG's second weekend. The bigger issue is late legs. I don't think TDKR will have them like THG did.

Everyone agrees the shooting had an effect on the weekend, but really, it's not going to really affect it that much during the week. These numbers are far from out of the ordinary, in fact, they are ordinary.

Why wouldn't it? Especially since they are still talking about it nonstop and also talking about copycat killers and stuff

Based on its performance in other markets, it looks like $1 billion will happen even without China. India is insane. TDKR already outgrossed TDK by 12% even though it just came out. Opening day admissions in France were 40% ahead of the Avengers opening day admissions, despite the fact that they had to cancel the Paris premier because of the shooting.

Thanks for the info. I did not know TDKR was performing that well OS!Hopefully it won't flop in Japan like TDK.I lived there when TDK came out, pretty sure group of my friends made up 50% of admissions there lolBut I hear that WB is marketing the crap out of TDKR ( release of bluray combo pack and broadcasting TDK on tv for the first time etc.) so it'll do better I think.