mmacader

Wednesday (7/25/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $13.77m

Thanks for the info.I did not know TDKR was performing that well OS!Hopefully it won't flop in Japan like TDK.I lived there when TDK came out, pretty sure group of my friends made up 50% of admissions there lolBut I hear that WB is marketing the crap out of TDKR ( release of bluray combo pack and broadcasting TDK on tv for the first time etc.) so it'll do better I think.

Has TA been released in Japan yet? I know the Iron Man movies bombed there too, which really surprised me.

Yeah, the OS growth looks fairly natural to me after the zeitgeist of TDK. Just glad there's some good news about TDKR's run.

So far, every news from OS has been great. I think we're looking at 700M and it could push for 800M, if it gets released in China.

Has TA been released in Japan yet? I know the Iron Man movies bombed there too, which really surprised me.

No, sometime in August. I'm expecting 25-30M for TA. Edited by druv10

Still a little to early to tell. It should be behaving like any other movie since its only been less than a week from the Colorado tragedy.As time passes, holdovers should be trickling in the later weeks. If there were a number of people that decided to wait during the first week, it should show up in better holds later on. That's the hope anyway...let's see.

So far, every news from OS has been great. I think we're looking at 700M and it could push for 800M, if it gets released in China.

It's basically pulling a SM3 overseas. Huge increase in foreign markets despite large drop in domestic market. Never would have thought we'd see the day where a Batman movie could make $400m domestic and that would only be good enough for around 35-40% of its worldwide gross.

It's basically pulling a SM3 overseas. Huge increase in foreign markets despite large drop in domestic market. Never would have thought we'd see the day where a Batman movie could make $400m domestic and that would only be good enough for around 35-40% of its worldwide gross.

It kind of makes its debilitated domestic gross all the more frustrating. Who knows where the WW total could have ended up...

Not just talking about copycat killers, arresting them. Just makes the headlines even worse.

Not to mention, the notebook sent to the college psychiatrist that was sent before but wasn't opened until after the fact. The fact that this could have been prevented but wasn't because someone forgot to get the fucking mail. Edited by Jay Beezy

It's a mixture of Batman's brand name is booming OS plus expanding markets and it has real shot at 850M OS predicted by Ray Subers. We were laughing at him but it has a real shot at it pending 100M in China.

There is a chance of no showing in china though so 800m is out of reach for now I think.Early reviews who attended the Japan premiere is positive with standing ovation (if you trust the web reviews). Still not sure if it'll be successful though.

Edited by bballman24

Everyone agrees the shooting had an effect on the weekend, but really, it's not going to really affect it that much during the week. These numbers are far from out of the ordinary, in fact, they are ordinary.

Not only is it affecting the week day grosses, it is affecting the entire run. Percentage wise they might be somewhat ordinary, but the grosses are all deflated and, unfortunately, that trend will probably continue.

Uhhh....Didn't Hunger Games have this little thing called school which deflated it's weekdays vs TDKR having summer days? I'm not saying it won't go past 400M and THG, but using Mon-Wed as any metric seems wrong. I know you're trying to do a whole week with assumed numbers for today, but giving the day-by-day deficit is misleading.

Yes, but I think he is arguing that despite the deflated weekday, THG still had a big drop on its second weekend, so if TDKR, with its high weekday numbers, can still beat THG on its second weekend, it should be headed for $450m.THG had great amazing legs after the second weekend, though, so we'll see...

Just called a theater located in university city Philly (Penn and Drexel colleges)- most populated college district in the US and Philly is 4th in media markets in this country. She said all movies in the past week have taken a HUGE hit. I would imagine tdkrises is that times 2. The shooting is basically crippled the movies potential. Box office fans might as well put an asterisk next to this movie. Be happy it's even approaching 400 million

Another movie to compare to is Dead Man's Chest which made $14.1m on its first Wednesday.

DMC is a good comparison...I think there was actually a thread for that and a day by day breakdown between the two would line up well atm.