mmacader

Wednesday (7/25/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $13.77m

TDKR vs TA reminds me of AOTC vs SM in 2002. Just like Spiderman in 2002, The Avengers set the bar too high and people started hoping that TDKR would over take that. That is the main reason that people are feeling disappointed. It would make me laugh that $310M in 2002 was considered a disappointment. The same way many people feel that a gross of around $450M is disappointing for TDKR. $450M is a fantastic gross and people should be happy about it. The Avengers was a phenomenon. Hard to duplicate that even if the movie we are talking about is a sequel to a phenomenon like TDK.

• Like 5

TDKR vs TA reminds me of AOTC vs SM in 2002.

Just like Spiderman in 2002, The Avengers set the bar too high and people started hoping that TDKR would over take that. That is the main reason that people are feeling disappointed. It would make me laugh that $310M in 2002 was considered a disappointment. The same way many people feel that a gross of around $450M is disappointing for TDKR. $450M is a fantastic gross and people should be happy about it. The Avengers was a phenomenon. Hard to duplicate that even if the movie we are talking about is a sequel to a phenomenon like TDK.

Kind of, but the main reason we're disappointed is because we have no idea what TDKR could have done because the tragedy isn't quantifiable, but we know it had a negative impact.

I've always wondered how big the meltdowns over Spiderman beating AOTC were back then.Someone told me on here people just cheered for both movies in the end.I guess the "backlash" AOTC got meant it had less fans to cheer it on anyway.

The fights were epic on BOM. :lol:Obviously, I was on AOTC team. :P
  • Like 2

TDKR vs TA reminds me of AOTC vs SM in 2002. Just like Spiderman in 2002, The Avengers set the bar too high and people started hoping that TDKR would over take that. That is the main reason that people are feeling disappointed. It would make me laugh that $310M in 2002 was considered a disappointment. The same way many people feel that a gross of around $450M is disappointing for TDKR. $450M is a fantastic gross and people should be happy about it. The Avengers was a phenomenon. Hard to duplicate that even if the movie we are talking about is a sequel to a phenomenon like TDK.

Of course $450m is a phenomenal gross. I don't think anyone doubts that, but you cannot ignore the performance of TDKRs predecessor which makes this performance disappointing. Same with AOTC, when you a sequel to a film that made over $430m....

Kind of, but the main reason we're disappointed is because we have no idea what TDKR could have done because the tragedy isn't quantifiable, but we know it had a negative impact.

While there is definitely an impact, there was almost no chance that TDKR would surpass The Avengers even without the tragedy. The difference between the two would be too big for TDKR to overcome.
  • Like 3

The fights were epic on BOM. :lol:Obviously, I was on AOTC team. :P

Wish I could've been there then!At least star wars got its revenge with ROTS which beat any movie domestic that summer & year with a huuuge margin to spare. (though that may be because 2005 was a weak year in general)
  • Like 1

Wish I could've been there then!At least star wars got its revenge with ROTS which beat any movie domestic that summer & year with a huuuge margin to spare. (though that may be because 2005 was a weak year in general)

I'd say that if it was a stronger year, it would all be in proportion, but bigger.

Of course $450m is a phenomenal gross. I don't think anyone doubts that, but you cannot ignore the performance of TDKRs predecessor which makes this performance disappointing. Same with AOTC, when you a sequel to a film that made over $430m....

But again, Batman franchise may have peaked with TDK. With TDKR a few notches lower than TDK in quality for the general audiences, a lower gross for TDKR should have been anticipated even without the tragedy. Part of the problem was that the pre-sales were hyped way too much and that made people think that TDKR would have had a bigger gross than TDK and may be get closer to TA.I knew those notions were false once we got the midnight number..
  • Like 5

Not only is it affecting the week day grosses, it is affecting the entire run. Percentage wise they might be somewhat ordinary, but the grosses are all deflated and, unfortunately, that trend will probably continue.

So that is the reception the film is getting not the shooting. If the wom was better, then the weekend drop would be about 40-45%. You can't blame this sub-par run just on the shooting, there are now a myriad of mitigating circumstances that will keep it from making more than about 425.
  • Like 6

So that is the reception the film is getting not the shooting. If the wom was better, then the weekend drop would be about 40-45%. You can't blame this sub-par run just on the shooting, there are now a myriad of mitigating circumstances that will keep it from making more than about 425.

You called that right.
  • Like 1

TDKR never had a shot of beating TDK. People who thought it did were kidding themselves

I believed that also. But the pre-sales hype was so high that it may have given some people false hopes.

TDKR never had a shot of beating TDK. People who thought it did were kidding themselves

Completely agree. I was predicting 450ish before the tragedy. With a $20m bigger opening, it would have had a pretty good shot to reach my prediction. I think it'll be lucky to hit 425 at the rate it's going.

Having seen the movie, I don't think it would have even without the shooting. The movie is too heavy for families. But a month ago no-one knew that.
  • Like 1

Having seen the movie, I don't think it would have even without the shooting. The movie is too heavy for families. But a month ago no-one knew that.

Given the runtime and tone of the marketing material, I'd say we had a pretty good idea. It's just that some folks here were in denial about that aspect.
  • Like 1

Baumer and several others had it around $460M prior to its release also. Some people probably did think that TDKR would not approach TDK's gross even prior to the release.
  • Like 1