baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

In finland the whole topic has been buried already.

Good to hear. Over here I think the media will drag it out as long as possible. Olympics have stolen some attention from it, which is nice. But as soon as the bastard goes to trial they will be right back to obsessing over it.

You'd think with the studios running the major networks they would want people going to the movies. Though people staying home= bigger ratings. But yesterday showed people are starting to come back

Look at TDKR like this:

DH2 made 71% of its total by the end of week 2. It is one of the most frontloaded series in the history of cinema. If TDKR were to make 71% of it's total after this weekend, that means it would end with 407 mill. It's not going to be like dH2. So 410 is locked, it should finish between 440-460.

That sounds like the range it should have landed to me.

Biggest POS article yet

http://www.huffingto...mment_172579953

I don't see a big problem with it other than he called TDKR a 2d only film. (IMAX doesn't count for this one somehow?)

He's at least using logic. When the numbers look normal, it's ok to say they look normal.

It's a fact that the shooting had an affect on TDKR and on the box office in general. Anyone that says otherwise is just trolling at this point

The interesting thing about this to me is how often the "fact" word is being thrown around. I usually need a "fact" to be backed up with proof. Not seeing that here. I'm seeing guesses, assumptions, and even distortions. (and polls! don't forget the polls! and Twitter!)

So now it's "trolling" to bring up the perfectly logical reasons why TDKR should have grossed less than TDK. Those who make claims based on speculation and completely discount the effects of not having the unique situation of TDK are the logical ones now? How interesting.

The BO media is saying it...so that makes it true? The media also got the BO predictions for The Avengers wrong (have we forgotten that?), but the difference is they didn't have an excuse afterward so they had to just admit they were wrong. Here there is an excuse so of course they are grabbing it. Much better than admitting you were wrong again.

Some are even claiming the BO is doing things it isn't doing to support this "fact". There wasn't anything outrageous about the drops last weekend or this weekend...but that didn't stop many from claiming the opposite. The slow BO before the shooting was looked at logically, but ever since suddenly it's not because the public just isn't interested in these subpar movies....now they are "afraid to go to the theaters". The Watch underperformed? There's a shocker. The trailers excited no one, no buzz for the movie, and it scored 14% at RT. One has to wonder why Brave looked so normal if families were afraid to go to the movies. Friday the 13th Brave fell 47% from its previous Friday. Friday the 20th it fell 41%. Friday the 27th its estimated to have fallen 36%. This is the opposite of what should have happened if this "fact" were true.

But wait...didn't Ice Age fall 59% from it's opening Friday the week before? Well....Brave fell 57% its 2nd Friday. Considering that Brave is Pixar and had much better reviews than Ice Age (77% vs 39%)....it should have fell much better than Ice Age in my opinion. Yet Brave's "uneffected" 2nd Friday was almost the same as Ice Age's "effected" 2nd Friday. Again...not seeing the proof of a "fact". If I were going to say anything, it would be that Ice Age did better than expected based on what Brave did.

There are of course going to be a few people who don't go to the theaters....but the opposite will be true as well. (some will never admit that one) Except the curiosity seekers will only go to see one particular movie...TDKR. One effect would hurt all movies....the other effect benefits just one. And the numbers don't suggest any great impact either way. Whatever the impact was, it's not making itself felt enough to call it a "fact".

• Like 6

I don't see a big problem with it other than he called TDKR a 2d only film. (IMAX doesn't count for this one somehow?)

He's at least using logic. When the numbers look normal, it's ok to say they look normal.

The interesting thing about this to me is how often the "fact" word is being thrown around. I usually need a "fact" to be backed up with proof. Not seeing that here. I'm seeing guesses, assumptions, and even distortions. (and polls! don't forget the polls! and Twitter!)

So now it's "trolling" to bring up the perfectly logical reasons why TDKR should have grossed less than TDK. Those who make claims based on speculation and completely discount the effects of not having the unique situation of TDK are the logical ones now? How interesting.

The BO media is saying it...so that makes it true? The media also got the BO predictions for The Avengers wrong (have we forgotten that?), but the difference is they didn't have an excuse afterward so they had to just admit they were wrong. Here there is an excuse so of course they are grabbing it. Much better than admitting you were wrong again.

Some are even claiming the BO is doing things it isn't doing to support this "fact". There wasn't anything outrageous about the drops last weekend or this weekend...but that didn't stop many from claiming the opposite. The slow BO before the shooting was looked at logically, but ever since suddenly it's not because the public just isn't interested in these subpar movies....now they are "afraid to go to the theaters". The Watch underperformed? There's a shocker. The trailers excited no one, no buzz for the movie, and it scored 14% at RT. One has to wonder why Brave looked so normal if families were afraid to go to the movies. Friday the 13th Brave fell 47% from its previous Friday. Friday the 20th it fell 41%. Friday the 27th its estimated to have fallen 36%. This is the opposite of what should have happened if this "fact" were true.

But wait...didn't Ice Age fall 59% from it's opening Friday the week before? Well....Brave fell 57% its 2nd Friday. Considering that Brave is Pixar and had much better reviews than Ice Age (77% vs 39%)....it should have fell much better than Ice Age in my opinion. Yet Brave's "uneffected" 2nd Friday was almost the same as Ice Age's "effected" 2nd Friday. Again...not seeing the proof of a "fact". If I were going to say anything, it would be that Ice Age did better than expected based on what Brave did.

There are of course going to be a few people who don't go to the theaters....but the opposite will be true as well. (some will never admit that one) Except the curiosity seekers will only go to see one particular movie...TDKR. One effect would hurt all movies....the other effect benefits just one. And the numbers don't suggest any great impact either way. Whatever the impact was, it's not making itself felt enough to call it a "fact".

Oh.
  • Like 2

Guru is saying $122m overseas, so they definitely lumped in some Wednesday and Thursday numbers.

Intl weekend reporting is mix of 2-5 days see belowPrevious post extract" when you see weekend boxoffice for a film its not Fri-sun, its a mix of 2-5 days (wed-Sun) depending on how a country normally reports, normal weekend-week reporting is definded by standard release day of the week (ie France Wed, Australia/ Russia Thu, UK/Mexico Fri, Japan Sat etc) through Sunday. The majority of countries is either 3-4 days."http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/137-the-international-box-office-discussion-thread/page__st__1740#entry190602
  • Like 1

Oh good, new estimates aren't nearly as depressing as Friday's. Could be closer to 55M total now, putting it at 12th for the past 10 years between Nemo and Revenge of the Fallen.

I do believe that the shooting affected its OW, to the tune of about 10-15m; maybe more. However, I don't think the % drops since are anything out of the ordinary. Regardless of whether it did 160m or 180m, it's daily drops and gains are pretty normal. Unfortunately, it just started from a lower than expected gross for the OW weekend.

• Like 1

Awesome hold for TDKR. Clearly opening ceremony deflated Friday grosses and looks like shooting effects are more or less over.Great holds for holdovers including TA which only dropped 12.5%. :)

• Like 1

I like cheeseburgers.
  • Like 3

Theres logic in the air!

Yup, two Cameron films, two Lucas films and two Nolan films. Soon to be joined by two Whedon films(once he gets his pay day).

Marvel had best not fuck that up.

Give him whatever he wants, I guarantee it isn't that much, he seems like a very modest guy.