Punishment

Wed (8/1/12) Numbers: TDKR $7.330, IA4 $2.16m, Watch $1.46m

Battleshit made $25m. I think Recall should be able to make that much. If it doesn't, we've got another bombs away scenario right after The Watch.

I've been thinking that Total Recall should be good for 30m but now I'm not sure it can. Plus the terrible reviews are not a helping cause. I'm thinking low 20m right now.John Carter: 30mBattleship: 25mTotal Recall: 20m?

I've been thinking that Total Recall should be good for 30m but now I'm not sure it can. Plus the terrible reviews are not a helping cause. I'm thinking low 20m right now.John Carter: 30mBattleship: 25mTotal Recall: 20m?

I saw a lot more advertising for Battleshit, so it wouldn't be a complete shock if Recall comes in a bit lower.

How come the Wednesday were so strong? Especially for kids films.. IA4 and Brave had very light drops after huge Tuesday increases and Madagascar was basically flat.

Really not sure. Olympics still had pretty good ratings last night, maybe 6-7% down from the average night so far, but perhaps it was enough to make an effect. Neither Phelps or Lochte had a final last night, and Men's All Around Gymnastics isn't as big of a draw compared to the Women's. It could be an anomaly though, and we might see large Thursday drops compared to the norm.

I saw a lot more advertising for Battleshit, so it wouldn't be a complete shock if Recall comes in a bit lower.

Yeah, Battleshit was everywhere. Plus it frikkin' had Liam Nesson! Haha all joking aside, it appears that Sony has somewhat high hopes for it with a 3,601 theater count. Comparable to John Carter's 3,749 and Battleship's 3,690. Edited by blackspider

They are going to make a sequel, which sucks, tho.

Yeah, it really seemed like they caught lightning in a bottle with the first one. I'm also sceptical about the Anchorman sequel, because the first one is on my all time top 10

The Batman finale could feasibly drop around 45% from last week's soph sesh, for a three-day gross in the mid-$30 millions. "Recall" should land between $25 million and $30 million, while "Dog Days" -- Fox's third adaptation from the popular kid-book series -- is expected to hit $15 million through Sunday.

Debuts could be higher based on strong mid-week business for "TDKR," however. Overseas, "Dark Knight Rises" has cumed north of $250 million, playing in 54 markets. Though it's waiting on a release date in China, pic already has been released in most major markets, including the U.K., which has contributed the most, at $47.9 million through July 29.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057395