baumer

Monday Numbers TDKR 4.7 2. TOTAL RECALL - $3M ($28.5M), 3. WIMPY KID 3 - $2M ($16.6M)

Iron Man was fantastic till two-third of the movie and then...... it sucked.

But the first 2/3 was so unbelievably good that it made up for it, for the most part. IM2's last third was much better, but its middle third was...not.
  • Like 1

I agree that some of us got carried away but I still believe that The Dark Knight Rises was on its way to set the admissions record during its OW. I think it had a shot at 190m+. 200m was definitely a stretch but if any film was going to do it without 3D, it would be TDKR.Now I have no idea how things would have played out if the shooting never occured but I am annoyed about how some people are claiming victory over their predictions in light of what happened, while the "loonies" are called out as being unrealistic and way out of left field. You can't put a number on the effects of this so might as well stop trying and just enjoy whatever TDKR makes because that's pretty much all we can do at this point.

I wasn't talking box office. I was talking quality.

I agree that some of us got carried away but I still believe that The Dark Knight Rises was on its way to set the admissions record during its OW. I think it had a shot at 190m+. 200m was definitely a stretch but if any film was going to do it without 3D, it would be TDKR.Now I have no idea how things would have played out if the shooting never occured but I am annoyed about how some people are claiming victory over their predictions in light of what happened, while the "loonies" are called out as being unrealistic and way out of left field. You can't put a number on the effects of this so might as well stop trying and just enjoy whatever TDKR makes because that's pretty much all we can do at this point.

$30m at midnight was unaffected. It needed $35m at midnight to reach 190+ for the weekend. $30m at midnight put it on track for $180m weekend, which is practically tied with Avengers' admissions. Nothing to be ashamed of at all, it's just that some of you went completely overboard with your expectations of what a 165 minute 2D film can do.

It's doing extremely well. Still dominating the market share. It's headed for 450m, which is great after losing the majority of the family audience. Hoping for a 20+m fourth weekend.

I think it lost the family audience after TDK.

My main issue with IM is that, fun as it is, it's not a particularly good origin story - Stark is emotionally the same person at the end as he is at the beginning. I know at the time that was considered a fresh approach after SM and BB but from a dramatic POV I couldn't help but find it unsatisfying.

Edited by Hatebox

IM2 was boring as hell compared to IM1. The writing also felt way more forced, which isn't too shocking since IM1 had a ton of improvisation in the dialogue.

The dialogue felt the same to me. It still came off as improvised. IMO, RDJ does the same thing from the Fun-Vee at the beginning of IM1 through Shawarma at the end of TA. I see nothing different and its all brilliant. I admit, I found the interplay between Rockwell and Rourke to be a bit tedious, but other than that, I really have no problems with IM2 other than leaps in logic at points(but IM1 has those too).

That isn't true.

[shrugs] I've only watched it once but I remember feeling that way. I remember a few semi-serious scenes where Tony doesn't joke around but I didn't feel like he'd been on much of a journey when the credits rolled.

$30m at midnight was unaffected. It needed $35m at midnight to reach 190+ for the weekend. $30m at midnight put it on track for $180m weekend, which is practically tied with Avengers' admissions. Nothing to be ashamed of at all, it's just that some of you went completely overboard with your expectations of what a 165 minute 2D film can do.

It really depends on how much you think its non-midnight Friday was affected. I'm sorry but 45m for TDKR on Friday is bad. That's less than New Moon, DH2, and THG did on their opening Fridays. I say it does at least 10m more on Friday for 85m.85m53m48m186m OWNothing unrealastic there. The 55m number is in the ballpark of what TDK did adjusted so again, nothing out of the ordinary and I'd say 190m was on the table. The hype was there, but it never got to show it.

But that only explains part of it. He was hugely disappointed in Total Recall and you didn't see him stop writing about that one for two weeks. I think he was embarrassed as hell by his predictions, plus Warner Brothers apparently told people not to write about the shooting's effect on the numbers. Subers took it more literally than other places. He just flat out didn't write anything, while others wrote the numbers while not mentioning the shooting.

Why the hell would anyone who calls him/herself a journalist obey the demands of a movie studio when it comes to reporting on a news story? If the answer is, "Because they want to curry favor," then they're bought-and-paid-for hacks instead of journalists. But that probably goes without saying.

I don't think TDKR would have had a lower multiplier without the shooting for two reasons- smaller opening means smaller word of mouth (less people seeing it), and anyone who would want to rush out and see it opening weekend (and I know this is an assumption) probably wouldn't have been stopped by the events that transpired. But all we can do is take TDKR's run as okay by mega-mega-blockbuster standards and fantastic by pretty much every other standard.

Edited by Gopher

Don't get me wrong, I think it was awesome. But not nearly the second coming that many made it out to be. IM2 is a slight step down in reality, but most deify IM1 and were easily disappointed by IM2 because of it. Just my opinion of course.

Iron Man was fantastic till two-third of the movie and then...... it sucked.

I agree that the last act was flawed (I think sucked is way too strong) but was still pretty awesome. The climax when Stane says "How ironic, Tony! Trying to rid the world of weapons, you gave it its best one ever! And now, I'm going to kill you with it!" was delivered beautifully by Bridges. It was also a groundbreaking film for comic book movies and blended fantasy with reality very effectively. It was one of the most important action films (in terms of influence) of the decade. RDJ's performance was also virtuosic. It could have been an average action/comic flick but the performances, direction, innovative effects etc.. elevated the film to greatness.

Why the hell would anyone who calls him/herself a journalist obey the demands of a movie studio when it comes to reporting on a news story? If the answer is, "Because they want to curry favor," then they're bought-and-paid-for hacks instead of journalists. But that probably goes without saying.

Subers is a complete joke of a reporter. Par for the course with him. Gray was much better.
  • Like 2

I don't think TDKR would have had a lower multiplier without the shooting for two reasons- smaller opening means smaller word of mouth (less people seeing it), and anyone who would want to rush out and see it opening weekend (and I know this is an assumption) probably wouldn't have been stopped by the events that transpired.But all we can do is take TDKR's run as okay by mega-mega-blockbuster standards and fantastic by pretty much every other standard.

TDKR's run looks amazing when you comapre it to every film besides TDK and The Avengers. But when you compare it to the adjusted runs of the blockbsuters of the early and mid 2000's, it looks merely average.

TDKR's run looks amazing when you comapre it to every film besides TDK and The Avengers. But when you compare it to the adjusted runs of the blockbsuters of the early and mid 2000's, it looks merely average.

That's what happens when too many big movies are released. There just aren't enough weeks in the summer.

I love Iron Man as much as the next guy but Iron Monger was indisputably and terribly underdeveloped. Didn't matter though, this was Tony's origin movie and they rocked that.

Sure, but I much preferred him over Mickey Rourke. Maybe it's because I'm biased towards the Dude, but the only parts I liked with Rourke was his interactions with Rockwell, and it's not like those were particularly effective in making him a strong villain, more because they were mildly amusing.

Iron Man 2 was thoroughly unengaging and disinterested, so yeah, I wouldn't place Rourke or Rockwell much higher than Bridges (who at least drove the plot of IM1 for the first two acts). I don't remember a thing from IM2 besides the last fight scene- the one the trailers/TV spots hyped the crap out of- being literally 30 seconds long.