Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

After early reports, on her own (cause there are no real other stars in her movie), she's doing half of Expendables 2 which has Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Norris, Van Damme, Willis and tons of other stars. And her movie is in 1,200 less theaters and has a 7 times smaller budget and much less promotion. I say, when you compare, Whitney is proving that she can pull in audiences. Her movie will already be profitable in a few days.

It might be 'profitable' (althought that is a stretch, since films also have to pay for distribution and marketing) but it won't be a hit. Just like Katy Perry's 3D movie, this will gross a little above its budget, but it won't break out. Maybe not a "flop" in terms of budget to gross ratio, but certainly not a hit in terms of audience appeal and tickets sold.
  • Like 2

TDKR was never going to make 500 mill. This has been discussed over and over and over and over. It's not as well liked, its not as revered, there's not death of a major actor and there is no oscar winning performance. Doing 440 mill is about 20-30 mill less than it would have done max.My opinion of course, but I'm right. :)

Yes you are right. We all can agree TDKR took a 20m or so hit on OW, but beyond that the effect was extremely minimal. Period, the end.
  • Like 1

I know that there are many reasons for TE2 to disappoint, but at least it puts clear water to the glass and no one can deny the Aurora effect. We can find good explanation for every single film that underperformed and I'm not ignoring these facts, nor blaming everything on the shooting (clearly its not effecting TE2 hugely), but it's clear as daylight that the market as a whole is still in the recovering phase. If Bourne misses 100m we'll have zero films hitting 100m this month. When was the last time that August failed to produce a single 100m grosser? Surely it was more than a decade ago.

This bullshit....still.TDKR was never going to top TDK, there was marginal affect on it's OW but legs have helped it recover. Your theory is so clear I'd like you to post articles from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, BOM, some major tracking publication that backs you up. I grant you a two week grace period. Find me articles from reputable sources that buy into your "cry me a river" theory starting with Total Recall going forward.

Yes you are right. We all can agree TDKR took a 20m or so hit on OW, but beyond that the effect was extremely minimal. Period, the end.

I'll pretend this tired argument wasn't brought up again...because with a $180-185m ow and no shootings...you're god damn right it would have made $500m!...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.Anyway, back to EX2...NOW can everyone agree the shootings have affected the entire summer! This is like 10 openers in a row, EVERY DAMN OPENER SINCE TDKR AND THE SHOOTINGS, that has underperformed!!Ok, I feel better now...phew, sometimes you just have to let it out :lol:

This bullshit....still.TDKR was never going to top TDK, there was marginal affect on it's OW but legs have helped it recover.Your theory is so clear I'd like you to post articles from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, BOM, some major tracking publication that backs you up. I grant you a two week grace period. Find me articles from reputable sources that buy into your "cry me a river" theory starting with Total Recall going forward.

Those articles have been posted on here but ya'll just choose to ignore them. What is the excuse for Expendables under-performing? No Olympics, sequel to well received hit. bankable stars, what happened?

I'll pretend this tired argument wasn't brought up again...because with a $180-185m ow and no shootings...you're god damn right it would have made $500m!...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

Anyway, back to EX2...NOW can everyone agree the shootings have affected the entire summer! This is like 10 openers in a row, EVERY DAMN OPENER SINCE TDKR AND THE SHOOTINGS, that has underperformed!!

Ok, I feel better now...phew, sometimes you just have to let it out :lol:

Oh for crying out loud that is beyond untrue! This is the first opener to really underperform since TDKR. Total Recall and Bourne did what they were expected on OW . And what about Paranorman? Look how well that's doing this weekend compared to predictions. If the shooting is impacting the BO for this long then it would be impacting everything. Edited by MovieMan89

Those articles have been posted on here but ya'll just choose to ignore them. What is the excuse for Expendables under-performing? No Olympics, sequel to well received hit. bankable stars, what happened?

It's the "reaching for an excuse" part that makes me roll my eyes. Sometimes people just don't turn out like we or the studios think and that's all there is to it. Reaching back to Aurora is just a pathetic attempt to lay blame. It's as if, OMG this is the first time there's ever been weeks worth of underperformers, at least based on expectations. Sometimes shit just happens, no excuse needed.
  • Like 1

MovieMan, you're absolutely hilarious if you think that TDKR lost only $20m on OW and nothing more after it.Are you fucking kidding me? It lost roughly $15m on opening day (no less than $12m at the very least). It probably lost $15m on Saturday and Sunday (just look at the drops).So, stop getting your knickers in a twist. I saw the film with my cousin in London and she wanted to leave in the first 20 minutes because she got scared of the guy sitting next to us because he got up to leave like three times every five minutes.The States was affected majorly.

• Like 3

It's the "reaching for an excuse" part that makes me roll my eyes. Sometimes people just don't turn out like we or the studios think and that's all there is to it. Reaching back to Aurora is just a pathetic attempt to lay blame.It's as if, OMG this is the first time there's ever been weeks worth of underperformers, at least based on expectations.Sometimes shit just happens, no excuse needed.

That wasn't what I was reading for weeks. It was always something else other then the effects of Aurora on box office. And now that there is plainly nothing else to lay blame on and it is movie that the other vocal segment was anticipating, it is only "shit happens?" Excuse me while I roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

MovieMan, you're absolutely hilarious if you think that TDKR lost only $20m on OW and nothing more after it.Are you fucking kidding me? It lost roughly $15m on opening day (no less than $12m at the very least). It probably lost $15m on Saturday and Sunday (just look at the drops).So, stop getting your knickers in a twist. I saw the film with my cousin in London and she wanted to leave in the first 20 minutes because she got scared of the guy sitting next to us because he got up to leave like three times every five minutes.The States was affected majorly.

So you want me to agree with you just because your cousin is paranoid? Well if we're getting into anecdotes, guess what pal I live in THE CITY IT HAPPENED IN, and I know not ONE person who stopped going to the movies or didn't see TDKR because of it.And funny how the only people who think this are the ones that had ridiculously high predictions and expectations for TDKR. How very convenient. ;) Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

It's been apparent since the day it happened that people outside the united states are completely out of touch with the event and its effect and impact on the box office here, etc.
  • Like 1

This argument is pretty pointless at this point. There's no quantifiable way to measure how much TDKR lost at the BO. We just don't know but regardless, 450M is a damn good number.

Edited by druv10

But we do know some things. We know it wouldn't have made 200m+ on OW with an opening of $160m. I'm sorry but anyone who think otherwise is a disillusioned fanboy looking for an excuse. And what a pathetic and disgusting excuse they're using.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Well the fact is that TDKR is topping TDK or coming close to TDK's total in every country on the planet, so that flushes the Heath argument down the toilet, it shows that the films WoM is great, not as good as TDK, but it opened significantly higher than TDK to balance a bit weaker legs. Yes, the articles from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, BOM, some major tracking publication backs me up with their 190-200m OW predictions. Wonder what happened in the States that it made it the only market where TDKR opened with less admission than TDK and the only market where TDKR fails to come 90% close to TDK's tally. Oh, wait, I kinda know what happened, I'm not putting my head into sand and I'm not stupid. I feel sorry for those, who are blind and they're trying to ignore the facts to justify their original prediction to be right.

There's not much rentrak info, Bourne and Paranorman did the same matinees, which means that Legacy will edge out the second place in the evening. Nice increase for Hope Springs. TE is struggle to double Bourne, which pretty much confirms the lower than TE weekend. The only film that performs well this weekend is Beats of the Southern Wild.

Oh god not the OS argument again. WHAT PART OF HUGE OS EXPANSION IN THE LAST 4 YEARS DO SOME OF YOU NOT GET! Seriously STOP USING A FUCKING TRAGEDY TO HIDE BEHIND RIDICULOUS EXPECTATIONS THAT WERE NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!! Goddammit this is starting to piss me off.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1