Dementeleus

Tony Scott just committed suicide

Who would of thought as I was sitting in the theater watching "Unstoppable" that it would be the last Tony Scott Directed film I would see. As a true Tony Scott fan, I was there opening day, no matter what it is. I know Denzel is beside himself now. He's worked with Tony and Tony has worked with him more than Any Director or Actor for them. They really had an amazing bond and chemistry on film:The Best Scott Family/Denzel Callabo's:#1. Crimson Tide#2. Man On Fire#3. American Gangster (Ridley said his brother's constant praise of Denzel made him work with him in this movie)#4. Deja Vu#5. Pelam 1,2,3#6. Unstoppable

If there was ever a film he should have been nominated for it was Man on Fire. One of the true excellent films of 2004.

I think both "Man on Fire" and "Crimson Tide" were Oscar Worthy but they both had to much "Action" for the Academy to notice but look at the performance in both of those films. Denzel and Gene Hackman should of been nominated and Denzel and Dakata should of been nominated. Powerful performances.
  • Like 2

My rank:1. Crimson Tide2. True Romance3. The Hunger4. Man on Fire5. Last Boy Scout6. Unstoppable7. Enemy of the State8. Deja Vu9. The Fan10. Top Gun11. Beverly Hills Cop 212. Domino13. Days of ThunderDidn't see Revenge or that other train movie he did with Denzel and Travolta.

That was shocking news to hear this morning. Tony Scott was very talented. Crimson Tide, Top Gun, Enemy of the State and others. I can't imagine what he must've been going through in his personal life to end it by jumping off a bridge. :( He and his brother Ridley produced two shows I like--the years ago cancelled now Numb3rs and The Good Wife--one of my favorites right now. This is really sad. I'll miss his work.

This is tragic. Although I've only seen one film of his (Unstoppable,) I remember it being one of the best films of 2010, a really well-done action film. I'm aware he is a great director though, and I can't imagine what Ridley and the rest of his family is going through right now. RIP.

Well there ya go. Can't say I might not have done the same- dying of brain cancer, and losing god knows what functions along the way- is probably an infintely worse way to die than suicide.

My neighbor died of brain cancer. He lived maybe a year at most after diagnosis.

If there was ever a film he should have been nominated for it was Man on Fire. One of the true excellent films of 2004.

SO TRUE !!!!! One of my all time favorites. Also the soundtrack to man on fire is EPIC, i´m listening to it nearly every day.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKLgQNT9z9MListening to this track right now, i get goosebumps.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEiIe55lv_UBest song Edited by dignam
  • Like 2

What a horrible thing. :( I have to admit I did not know this guy by name until I looked him up and realized I've seen and enjoyed a crapload of his movies. I absolutely love Man on Fire. AND he's the brother of Ridley Scott! I feel bad for never having paid better attention to him now. :unsure: Thoughts go out to his friends and family. Poor Ridley.

Edited by MovieMan89

I wholeheartedly agree. My opinions on films tend to coincide with the critics a lot, but that is one distinct case that I've always thought critics got dead wrong. How could you not love that movie? And Denzel was an acting tsunami in that movie.
  • Like 1

After learning about his brain tumor, I can understand it now. I kind of wish he had lived in Seattle or something so he would not have had to do such a drastic public act to end his life.

My wife and I were watching Unstoppable on cable yesterday at about the time all of this was occurring. Eerie.My grandfather died from a brain tumor that had metastasized from undiagnosed lung cancer. They told him he had less than six weeks to live. The hospital recommended that he stay there. He refused. He just wanted to go home. My grandmother took care of him at home. He ended up battling 7 months. When the end neared, a priest came to give him last rites. The priest asked him if he was ready to go. He answered that he was, but my grandmother wouldn't let him leave. They celebrated their 51st anniversary, and then she let him go. He passed on peacefully in his sleep a few days later.To me, while still very tragic, the bigger tragedy was not Scott finding out he had an inoperable tumor and then deciding to end his own life instead of going through what would obviously be a harrowing experience...the larger tragedy is that he didn't feel he had someone who wanted him to stick around as long as he could. And that he would be willing to go through it for her/him/them. I'm not saying he took the "easy way out", I'm just saying his death is tragic in more ways than what's been reported.This is just sad on many different levels.