29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The Room is the only movie I have to pause every few minutes due to the pain of laughter.

No other movie can do that. Not every single time I watch it. Ergo, this is the funniest movie ever made.

Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of great comedies: "The Producers", "Withnail and I", "The Big Lebowski" and "This is Spinal Tap" were, before this changed everything, at the top of my list. But even they can not compete with this movie. Watching The Room really is like sitting on an atomic bomb, waiting for it to go off... an atomic bomb of laughter. This movie literally has 8 or 9 of the 10 funniest moments in movie history. That one, short, infamous scene in the florist, by itself, contains more belly laughs than most other comedies can manage in 90 minutes.

Tommy Wiseau has (somehow) created an "accidental masterpiece". A movie so great, so insane, so wonderful - yet all in ways that I suspect Mr. Wiseau has no concept of, and certainly had no intention of creating. He set out to make a sexy thriller, but what came out was utterly unsexy (at moments it's in fact gross), entirely unthrilling - and were you to be stupid enough to watch as a drama, you would find absolutely no drama anywhere in the movie. It has characters who act in ways no human being has ever acted, and saying things that either a) make no sense, b] are completely irrelevant to what is happening, or c) start a subplot that is subsequently never again mentioned.

But all the many, many things that would kill it as a straight drama become pure gold when played for laughs. The execution is beyond inept - in fact the whole debacle seems to have been conceived as a vanity project for Mr. Wiseau. Normally this would be a terminal misstep, but because Mr. Wiseau is one of the greatest men who ever lived, the movie instead becomes endlessly entertaining, and his performance ever more fascinating.

Get this movie.

Grade: A. (Obviously)

Edited by yads
  • Like 1

It has a 3 rating on imdb. Is it so bad it's funny or is it really that funny?

It's the poster child of so bad, it's good. But an experienced audience is a big part of the fun, if you can find a theater that plays it. The first time, you can get by watching it yourself, but multiple viewings is best with an audience. It is unlike anything you will ever experience.SPOOON!
  • Like 1

"You're tearing me apart Lisa!"

I re-watched the movie in its entirety so I can fully appreciate the Disaster Artist.  But, this movie in and of itself is worth appreciating, simply because of the absurd hilarity of it all.  It's technically one of the most poorly made films I have seen, but the textbook terrible nature of it all makes it all the more hilarious to watch.  It gets everything wrong where it ends up making the entire thing work.

Tommy Wisseau is unforgettable in the film, and the rest of the cast is just as memorable in their... unconventional ... acting techniques.  The framing of the shots, the poor progression of each scene, the unwatchably bad sex scenes, the nonsensical script, the football, the cheep cheeps, it's hysterical.  I don't know what Wissaeu was trying to do with this movie, but it doesn't matter, the end product is something that I'd consider an essential viewing for anybody who likes film.

Obviously an F for technical quality, but that doesn't make it not worth watching.

Edited by The Last Panda

I'll never forget my experience of seeing this movie. Someone invited me to the midnight screening at that independent theatre on Sunset Blvd (I forget the name). I had no idea what the movie was. The line was massive - snaking out onto the street. I had such a great time. The audience was so into it and the director showed up. It was a blast.