29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

27 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I'll never forget my experience of seeing this movie. Someone invited me to the midnight screening at that independent theatre on Sunset Blvd (I forget the name). I had no idea what the movie was. The line was massive - snaking out onto the street. I had such a great time. The audience was so into it and the director showed up. It was a blast. 

The Vista theater?

Edited by Darth Suburious

20 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

No. It's sort of around the Chateau Marmont, on the other side of the street. It's in a shopping center (a nice one, not a strip mall). 

There is an AMC sunset that plays independent movies near Chateau and it is in a mini shopping center. 

This is the best worst movie ever made.

Every single frame of this movie looks technically inept. The story is awful. The editing is hilariously pitiful. The script makes less sense than trying to make a snowman near an active volcano. The EVERYTHING sucks about this.

And yet still.... Tommy Wiseau, the legend himself, makes it so ridiculously entertaining that it's honestly the stuff of fables. Easily one of the best comedies of the 21st century, maybe of all time. It wouldn't be past me that Wiseau tried on purpose to make a film this entertainingly failtastic, and if he did, mission accomplished cause you've got a masterpiece of suck at hand.

But a masterpiece nonetheless. Grade: A+

• Like 1

There's very little plot, the acting is bad to horrible, the voices aren't synced correctly at times, the colour is off, the lighting is off and there are plots that are never resolved and there's 5 full sex scenes that add nothing to the plot.  It's a horrible movie on a technical level.

And yet I could watch this over and over and over again.  It's funny, it's endearing and you can feel how much of a labour of love it must have been to Wiseau.  I honestly loved it.  Not just because it was a bad movie but because it's wildly and strangely entertaining.  

9/10

• Thanks 1

I saw The Room at the weekend. Me and my friend went in tuxedos, kind of expected more people to dress up but apparently not... before the movie I got pictures with Tommy and Greg, Tommy told me - "Oh, I so happy you have dress up, you will come on stage with me, ha ha", he was very nice. Little did I realise, he was serious. When we were all sat down and Tommy and Greg were on stage about to do the Q&A, Tommy says "where my friends who in tuxedos? I thought you are coming on stage? Get up on here". So me and my friend go up at the front of the cinema, and they do the whole Q&A session with us.

An audience member asked Tommy why there are so many sex scenes in the film, he goes, "No, there are no sex scenes, I not call them sex scenes..." and I interrupted and told Tommy "No, they're love scenes", and he brings me forward and shakes my hand. 

I also got Tommy to shout, "You are tearing me apart, London!" which was awesome.

Greg is seriously bored and sad, seems really unhappy. I kind of don't blame him but at the same time, come on man, cheer up everyone here loves you. Seems to me like you're the expert, Mark! Greg is unhappy that his Hollywood career never took off, while Tommy is so excited and proud of what he's done. 

I went out during the movie to grab a script and Tommy got talking to me, told me he was really happy that I dressed up and that "We come back in September, for Best Friends 2, you must come see me again in September, Tree, I want you to be in tuxedo!"

He wrote a nice message on the script and he had to write my name and cross it out three times because he can't spell for shit, lmao. We had a nice conversation and he made sure the photos that the staff took were good. He took my phone, "I need to make sure photo is good, you need to look great, or we take it again". He is just a wonderful, friendly human bean.

Also when I got Greg to sign my copy of The Disaster Artist, Tommy took the book, crossed out Tom Bissell's name and signed it himself??? Does Tommy know that he didn't write the book?

Funniest moment -

Question: "Tommy, what's your favourite video game?"

Tommy: "Hmm, my favourite video game? Star Wars. Yeah, favourite video game Star War."

10/10 would Room again.

Below: Greg Sestero, me, and Tommy Wiseau, presenting The Room. The greatest worst movie ever made, or "the best movie of the year", apparently.

1e16e39a6f33915650f5fa0edb89d498.png

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

The Room lives up to its infamy. A bizarre mess with Wiseau at the helm, it fails at nearly everything and feels extremely vindictive. Still, it's funny a lot of the time and all the big moments meet the hype. Near the end it begins to lose steam. If this was an even 70 minutes, it'd be the best bad movie ever. Still, The Room is worth checking out if just for its pop cultural impact and to help one truly understand the insanity of Tommy Wiseau. D