Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

I love Jlaw, and I agree with what you´ve said, but let´s not downplay the fact that she happened to get cast in the film version of a huge blockbuster book. That, added to her charisma and her talent, has resulted in a perfect storm of stardom. But let´s not give her all the credit.

It's a fair point but also makes me wonder about an alternate reality where say, Lily Collins or Shailene Woodley got the part... would it be a $200m hit instead of $400m? We'll never know, but I think a big part of the success is the buzz about Lawrence and her performance in the films.

• Like 1

lol@ Lawrence, man. Girl is killing shit! I mean, when was the last time someone had the ridiculous streak she's having right now? Say she gets a nom for this, that would make it 3 noms (including 1 win) in, what, 3 years??! And she ain't even 25 yet. Like that weren't enough, add headlining in 2 $400m blockbusters. Truly the world's brightest shining young star at the moment. What she has been able to accomplish in that time, at that age, is nothing short of f**king%

THG helped her achieve mainstream success, but jlaw has always been a critics darling. she was on their radar long before THG with stuff like winter's bone, the burning plain etc

Exactly, she was on her way to somewhere even if she had not done THG. She was nominated for an Oscar for Winters Bone. THG and JLAW path's collided and shot her to superstardom. Perfect storm.

It's a fair point but also makes me wonder about an alternate reality where say, Lily Collins or Shailene Woodley got the part... would it be a $200m hit instead of $400m? We'll never know, but I think a big part of the success is the buzz about Lawrence and her performance in the films.

I know the only reason I decided to see The Hunger Games was because I kept hearing how good the main actress was. Had never read the books, didn't pay any attention to the trailers and wrote off the franchise as being another Twilight (how ignorant and foolish I was!!!). But when I heard everyone - critics, online, IRL - praise JLaw's performance I decided it was worth checking out. I truly believe that's partly why THG's legs were so good (for this kind of film) because there would have been many many others like me who initially had no interest in the film but positive WOM not only about the film in general, but Jennifer in particular, convinced us to give it a shot.

• Like 4

JLaw is a lock for a nomination but don't put too much stock into early critics awards. They usually vote for the movies that no one has seen so that they get to show you how cool they are. I am fairly certain that both American Hustle and Wolf of The Wall Street are going to be pretty divisive movies.

• Like 2