Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Zaslav had been at Discovery for sixteen years, that's the sign of a successful CEO IMO. Just proves a lot of posters on here know nothing about the wider entertainment industry if they resorting to name calling. 

Canceling a $70-90 million project that already finished filming not only seem like a financially baffling thing to do, but also comes across as a giant middle finger to the cast and crew. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Zaslav had been at Discovery for sixteen years, that's the sign of a successful CEO IMO. Just proves a lot of posters on here know nothing about the wider entertainment industry if they resorting to name calling. 

They know nothng about business, period. In any business, if you have a heavy debt, you have to cut back and that is never a pretty thing. The Interest alone on the debts can kill you.

You can question Zasleve individual moves..yes, I question not even releasing it to streaming...but his job is to stop the bleeding at Warners and his failure or sucess will depend on that.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It’s obvious Zaslav knows how to run discovery but we’ll see how that translates into running WBD, this batgirl decision is a weird one, hard to trust him with what I’ve seen so far. 

Maybe this all works out in the end but I think he’s been marvel pilled and thinks he can do what they did and we all know if it was that easy it would of happened already. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, p a p i said:

This shit is crazy. I wonder. Will Blue Beetle get canceled? I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel everything after The Flash and they use it to FULLY reboot the DCEU. 

I been wondering. Probably a good idea imo, but could be tricky to execute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

It’s obvious Zaslav knows how to run discovery but we’ll see how that translates into running WBD, this batgirl decision is a weird one, hard to trust him with what I’ve seen so far. 

Maybe this all works out in the end but I think he’s been marvel pilled and thinks he can do what they did and we all know if it was that easy it would of happened already. 

This is all driven by the bad situation Wanrers is in with it's debt,and Zaslev, frankly, was brought in to stop the bleeding and start getting the debts paid down before the interest kills them. It is not going to be pretty, many people will lose theri jobs.

And even if Zaslev goes, that problem will reamain. Warners is not going to be spending money the way it has in the past no matter which managment team is in charge.

As the saying in goes, when things get tough you send for the SOBs.

But I am puzzled byt the not even to streaming decision for Batgirl.

And I just read that apparetly the last part of "THe FLash" has some problems, which means it need retakes. God, that will be a PR nightmare if they have to bring Miller back, let alone the additional costs. I have images of dozens of  lawyers with summons and other legal documents to be served just waiting for Ezra to show up....

This film seems to have a curse on it...

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This is all driven by the bad situation Wanrers is in with it's debt,and Zaslev, frankly, was brought in to stop the bleeding and start getting the debts paid down before the interest kills them. It is not going to be pretty, many people will lose theri jobs.

And even if Zaslev goes, that problem will reamain. Warners is not going to be spending money the way it has in the past no matter which managment team is in charge.

As the saying in goes, when things get tough you send for the SOBs.

But I am puzzled byt the not even to streaming decision for Batgirl.

And I just read that apparetly the last part of "THe FLash" has some problems, which means it need retakes. God, that will be a PR nightmare if they have to bring Miller back, let alone the additional costs. I have images of dozens of  lawyers with summons and other legal documents to be served just waiting for Ezra to show up....

This film seems to have a curse on it...

You sure love repeating yourself. 

51 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Zaslav's been pushing that he wants WB to "be like Disney" and that immediately was a red flag to me. Warner's been trying to be like Disney for decades and every chance they've done has had them either fumble the bag or do okay, but not as well as Disney did. The WB network, the Studio Stores from the 90s, their feature animation department, their Broadway production company, their Australia park, the DCEU, and I guess now HBO Max have all been attempts to copy something Disney has found great success with, and pretty much all of them have done okay at best to total messes at worst.

Disney's brand recognition and success as a name is just something no studio can replicate, at least if you try to rush the decades of warm fuzzy nostalgia the Mouse House has had a big head start in. Obviously I'm not saying WB should give up on popular franchises, but trying to copy a competitor that frankly has its own little universe atypical of the other studios just hasn't worked. Why would things change now?

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Canceling a $70-90 million project that already finished filming not only seem like a financially baffling thing to do, but also comes across as a giant middle finger to the cast and crew. 

They take a write off and lose just a little that they can blame entirely on the old regime.  Compared to taking ownership, spending tens of millions on reshoots and tens of millions on marketing for it to lose the same or more. 

The crew should have made a watchable movie that did not look cheap, that is a middle finger to both WB and more importantly to the audience. 

1 minute ago, jimisawesome said:

They take a write off and lose just a little that they can blame entirely on the old regime.  Compared to taking ownership, spending tens of millions on reshoots and tens of millions on marketing for it to lose the same or more. 

The crew should have made a watchable movie that did not look cheap, that is a middle finger to both WB and more importantly to the audience. 

Why would they need to do tens of millions of dollars in reshoots? Even if the movie is bad, it was getting dumped on HBO Max anyway. Besides, supposedly, the reason they dumped the movie wasn’t necessarily because of quality, but because Zaslav thought it was too expensive for HBO Max, and not enough of a spectacle to be put out in theaters. 

15 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

Zaslav's been pushing that he wants WB to "be like Disney" and that immediately was a red flag to me because Warner's been trying to be like Disney for decades and every chance they've done has had them fumble the bag or did okay, but not as well as Disney did. The WB network, the Studio Stores from the 90s, their feature animation department, their Broadway production company, their Australia park, the DCEU, and I guess now HBO Max have all been attempts to copy something Disney has found great success with, and pretty much all of them have done okay at best to total messes at worst.

Disney's brand recognition and success as a name is just something no studio can replicate, at least if you try to rush the decades of warm fuzzy nostalgia the Mouse House has had a big head start in. Obviously I'm not saying WB should give up on popular franchises, but trying to copy a competitor that frankly has its own little universe atypical of the other studios just hasn't worked. Why would things change now?

Yeah unless you can go back in time and murder Walt Disney before he creates this empire in which every single child grows up watching their movies and develops lifelong attachments to the characters/brand/childhood memories, there's no way to compete like this, Just let Disney be Disney (and they're going to have some off years) and compete with the other studios. 

Literally throwing an almost finished $90M movie into the furnace (apparently for a tax write-off?) ranks pretty high among the most bizarre and baffling movie industry-related stories I've ever seen. An alarming precedent I can't get behind.

Sucks for everyone involved in the movie's making, especially Leslie Grace, who had been so enthusiastic whenever discussing the project.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Probably Blue Beetle, would be a really dumb move imo but after today who even knows anymore. 

As a big fan of Cobra Kai and Xolo this would suck so bad, hopefully if there is anymore bad news it isn't this.

An interesting thought experiment.  If you're the new CEO, and you don't think you can win the eventual streaming wars, do you give up and cut your losses and throw your best stuff to someone you perceive will win in a win/win for you both?  Now that everyone knows what the value of the material can be?

Everyone said there will only be 3-4 streaming services that can dominate - maybe fewer.  Is WB maybe deciding they don't have the money to win the war and stay in business...so they are giving up and making allies instead?

5 minutes ago, Potiki said:

As a big fan of Cobra Kai and Xolo this would suck so bad, hopefully if there is anymore bad news it isn't this.

Blue Beetle has a good opportunity to do well if it’s good. I guess the thought process is ( if it happens) is he can’t carry a movie, which is obviously not true but would just add to the other bad decisions being made. 

• Like 1