Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

23 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I guess Gunn and Phillips are safe. Gunn seems more interested in TV stuff and Joker made a billion dollars and won Oscars. Both aren't "exactly" connected to overall DC anyway. I'd assume this means Reeves is safe but that stuff might be trickier since it's directly Batman

I'd say just make Gunn the DC Feige at this point, but I doubt he wants that

I know some people don’t like Gunns humour and I respect that, with that said, Gunn is super knowledgeable about the comics and he knows the movie making process as well so I’d definitely make him part of a “team” If they are putting one together to run DC films. 

But, you’re right, I have no idea if he wants that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I know some people don’t like Gunns humour and I respect that, with that said, Gunn is super knowledgeable about the comics and he knows the movie making process as well so I’d definitely make him part of a “team” If they are putting one together to run DC films. 

But, you’re right, I have no idea if he wants that. 

I'm mixed on Gunn himself. Hate Slither, love Super, thought Guardians 2 was better than 1. But Suicide Squad is as good as a movie DC has made since TDK and TDKR. The reviews were good. Peacemaker was clearly a success, and he's focusing more on DC now than Marvel. So yeah, with his knowledge and quality track record, it would be a mistake for WB/DC to not involve him in their strategy moving forward

• Like 1

Hopefully this was a cathartic experience for them. 

I wasn't a fan of Scoob but it sucks that something a bunch of people worked on and damn near finished won't see the light of day. 

I've had projects canceled in the development stage but can't imagine what it is like to have worked on something for months or years and it just vanish. 

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I guess Gunn and Phillips are safe. Gunn seems more interested in TV stuff and Joker made a billion dollars and won Oscars. Both aren't "exactly" connected to overall DC anyway. I'd assume this means Reeves is safe but that stuff might be trickier since it's directly Batman

I'd say just make Gunn the DC Feige at this point, but I doubt he wants that

I wouldn’t say that Gunn isn’t connected to DC overall. The stuff he’s been working on is part of the DCEU, and characters from his works are supposed to appear in future DC movies. 

Lots of info today lol,

From the article below, quite a bit of info about JJ in there, it will be interesting to see how much of his stuff actually gets made.

One HBO Max project that sources point to as being on solid ground and moving along is Constantine, a darker reboot of the DC Comics character from British writer Guy Bolton. The project is set around a diverse lead, rather than the one played by Matt Ryan in the 2014 NBC series and The CW’s Arrowverse, or the 2005 Keanu Reeves feature film.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I'm mixed on Gunn himself. Hate Slither, love Super, thought Guardians 2 was better than 1. But Suicide Squad is as good as a movie DC has made since TDK and TDKR. The reviews were good. Peacemaker was clearly a success, and he's focusing more on DC now than Marvel. So yeah, with his knowledge and quality track record, it would be a mistake for WB/DC to not involve him in their strategy moving forward

I agree I think Gunn is about as close to a Feige as they can get atm (he's worked under Feige for years too), but I get the feeling a creative like him wouldn't wanna be stuck in a more executive position for years. He probably wants to write and direct still, which Feige doesn't do cause his job takes up all his time. 

On 8/5/2022 at 8:12 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

There's some genuinely bad superhero movies out (especially now!).. I don't see why Batgirl would be some catastrophe. The real mistake was WB's mishandling of the DC brand and the overeagerness in bringing back Keaton. 

But seriously, you think Batgirl would be worse than Thor: Love and Thunder, Superpets, Morbius, Eternals, Hellboy, Green Lantern, Justice League, New Mutants, Fantastic 4 2015?

Between this and the canceled Joss Whedon version, I'm afraid the character is just doomed. And the same goes for Supergirl, exactly

The part that really doesn't make sense is being "bad" never stopped some of DC's own films from being pretty successful, far more than their critically successful films like Shazam and Birds of Prey. Like genuinely Suicide Squad is complete and utter garbage but did way better than the much better reviewed reboot/sequel that flopped. Also Venom and Venom 2 are huge hits but critically panned. Jurassic World is almost getting to $1b with absolute bottom of the barrel reviews. Marvel's probably the only franchise where there's a real correlation between quality and box office. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cax16 said:

One HBO Max project that sources point to as being on solid ground and moving along is Constantine, a darker reboot of the DC Comics character from British writer Guy Bolton. The project is set around a diverse lead, rather than the one played by Matt Ryan in the 2014 NBC series and The CW’s Arrowverse, or the 2005 Keanu Reeves feature film.

What the fuck?

They're really dumb if they can't see the best option for this is a sequel in the 100-150 million range, with Keanu, building that towards a Justice League Dark. 

5 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

IIRC Gunn was supposed to be the architect of the cosmic MCU before he got fired.

Good point, and Alan Horn was at Disney when they were setting up Gunn for that role so...

I suspect if the DCEU is "run" by creatives like Gunn, it would be him with a small team, not just solo like Feige.

18 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I wouldn’t say that Gunn isn’t connected to DC overall. The stuff he’s been working on is part of the DCEU, and characters from his works are supposed to appear in future DC movies. 

"Supposed to" is all relative, none of this really matters until Zaslav/Hamada/whoever decide which direction forward they want to go.  No one knows what the "DCEU" is until someone decides it...again.  I'm sure 'Peacemaker' is a willing compromise in the middleground while they figure things out (because it deals with parts of the universe that Zaslav likely wouldn't have invested in for features, anyway)...but it doesn't mean anything in this will necessarily be followed up on.  ...And that's OK, too!  It's all about telling good stories.  That's where they want to get, obviously...

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

"Supposed to" is all relative, none of this really matters until Zaslav/Hamada/whoever decide which direction forward they want to go.  No one knows what the "DCEU" is until someone decides it...again.  I'm sure 'Peacemaker' is a willing compromise in the middleground while they figure things out (because it deals with parts of the universe that Zaslav likely wouldn't have invested in for features, anyway)...but it doesn't mean anything in this will necessarily be followed up on.  ...And that's OK, too!  It's all about telling good stories.  That's where they want to get, obviously...

Zaslav made it sound like he wants interconnectivity. 

I don't know how popular my opinion is, but I think they should, and hope they do, just straight up reboot the DCEU. Recast all the heroes, regardless of how popular or well liked they currently are, just do it again from the ground up. And don't use Batman and Joker for a least a few more years while they have Pattinson and Phoenix playing those characters in different universes, because that's way too confusing for GA. Just one person playing one character at a time. 

Here's my take: 

-- The problem is... AQUADUDE grossed $1 Billion+ and Momoa has really played ball well with the studio -- so that sequel was a guarantee.  So they will let that series play out as long as it's successful.  But yes, I could see them ending it if the sequel even underperforms a bit.  And how much of a no-brainer is getting Momoa and The Rock to face off???  

-- Affleck-Bats has already proven agreeable to a cameo here and there as long as its needed.  

-- Gadot/Wonder Woman has clearly played ball which will likely guarantee her 'Wonder3' ...although I wouldn't even say that movie is a 100% guarantee to happen, at this point, nor necessarily with Patty Jenkins directing (and definitely not solely writing)...but nothing is guaranteed in filmmaking, of course.  

-- 'Black Adam''s success/failure box office/reception will determine where that series goes.  Same with 'Shazam.'  One success doesn't necessarily mean the other will continue.  The Rock clearly wants a face/off against Superman (and it's pretty clear he'd support Cavill for that), but unless his movie is a huge success, that's not going to happen right away, either.  

-- They will take their time to figure out Supes and let 'Superman & Lois' play out at least one more season on the small-screen.  I don't see the Ta-Nehisi Coates project happening under Zaslav, nor the Michael B. Jordan HBOMax project, now that Zaslav is pruning DC-related HBOMax originals.  

-- They have 'Peacemaker' and whatever else Gunn might cook up that they see value in for HBO.  Berlanti's 'Green Lantern' series ain't happening -- and I don't see a 'Green Lantern' feature being made at all until a new DCEU gets itself successfully up and running again.  

-- Abrams' 'Constantine' may or may not happen, but I definitely don't think his 'Justice League Dark' will anytime soon.  The story is that Zaslav likes Abrams, but that he's already taken him to task for slow development.  Zaslav likely sees it as easier to risk a 'diverse' casting on a more obscure character like John Constantine rather than a big-budget Superman.    

-- 'The Flash' is obviously now a one-off for Miller...and possibly for Keaton, and possibly even for Calle/Supergirl, as well.  

-- They will let the above play-out in the next two years while planning the next stage in the meantime, but yes, I expect a full-on Reboot of all elements when they are ready.  Perhaps by 2025.  

Edited by Macleod

DC needs a braintrust, ala Pixar. A group of people who can get involved in stories when needed, greenlight films, keep the universe running. But also people that can write entire films, direct films, etc etc.

Gunn would be perfect in that role.