Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

24 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

Probably the new Magic Mike movie.

Good call Eric

From Indiewire (July 23)

“Magic Mike’s Last Dance” is currently scheduled to premiere exclusively on HBO Max, but Soderbergh has been open about his desire to see a theatrical release. And the Oscar winner still thinks that Warner Bros. might be persuaded to give him one.

“We’re talking about it,” Soderbergh said. “It’s certainly hard to argue that this isn’t a movie that’s best seen in a theater, because we have the data. People, primarily women, were going in packs, in large groups, to see the ‘Magic Mike’ movies.”

He reminded fans that nothing is official yet, but conversations with the studio about turning the film into a larger event are ongoing.

“That’s the discussion with Warners right now — can we eventize this?,” he said. “And if so, should we put it out theatrically?”

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

This actually makes a lot of sense. Superbowl weekend to release a Magic Mike movie is perfect

The weekend is also pre-Valentine's Day, which is even better.

'Member how big the 50 shades movies were on February?

Are we seriously about to lose another tentpole Hollywood studio? A mere three years after Fox got killed? Damn. As for the new slate:

• That Aquaman 2 delay seems insanely excessive. But it will make sense in the long run methinks. A heavily underwater movie like it needs all the post-production time it can get, especially with how bad VFX crunch has gotten. This move will also help distance it from both Avatar 2 and the Depp v Heard drama. With Star Wars and Star Trek both being unlikely to make the Christmas 2023 frame, planting Aquaman 2 there makes perfect sense. Hopefully this is the final delay.
  • In my honest opinion Shazam 2 should never have been moved forward to 2022, and thankfully Warner agrees with me. Instead of being gutted by Disney's beast in a redux of the first film in 2019, it can now fairly compete with John Wick 4 and Scream 6 which both appeal to completely different demographics than it. It now also has IMAX, which is always nice. A much needed move.
  • I am legitimately shocked that not only did Zaslav spare both House Party and Evil Dead Rise, but he's also granting them upgraded theatrical releases. This almost never happens in this industry, so the crew behind both should be overjoyed. Fingers crossed they both do well when released.
  • The Nun 2 is going to be the next Sins of the Father victim. You heard it here first.
  • As I've said previously, Salem's Lot is most likely getting the Josstice League treatment. I don't see a sensible reason for such a last minute delay otherwise.
  • I'm willing to bet that mysterious February 2023 movie is Magic Mike 3. They're probably still negotiating with Sodenbergh and Tatum, which is likely why no formal announcement has been made yet.
Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

WB seems to be in far worse shape now than they ever were under AT&T. 

That's b/c zero percent Fed interest rates are gone...the Fed has been increasing the Fed borrowing rate rapidly this year, and most loans, especially with short terms, are based off that rate in some way...

They won't sell DC or even stop producing comics, there's no point in that. DC as a division is profitable last I checked.

He's more likely, and I have no idea why he hasn't done this yet, to sell WB Games. They could easily fetch a few billion for it and they would save money on game development and make money by licensing out their IPs to studios to make games.

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's b/c zero percent Fed interest rates are gone...the Fed has been increasing the Fed borrowing rate rapidly this year, and most loans, especially with short terms, are based off that rate in some way...

From the sounds of it, Zaslav’s decisions haven’t exactly been inspiring much confidence in stockholders. This might be premature to say, but it honestly seems like WB was better off under AT&T.

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Nothing makes sense anymore. If WB is really bleeding that much money, then just give Zaslav the boot already. 

Warners was bleeding money before Zaslav was hired. He was ,in fact, hired largely to stop the bleeding.

I am not trying to defend Zaslve, who is a doing a lousy job of Damage Control, but blaming him for all of Warner's problems is just ignorant and stupid.

And if he is removed,the new guy will probably take a lot heat because he will to make decisions that a lot of people won't like. They might make more sense then the decisions that Zaslev is making, though.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

The thought occurred to me, but between Zaslav’s penny-pinching and his apparent lack of interest in diversity, he’s basically WB’s very own Ike Perlmutter, except that Perlmutter was never in charge of Disney as a whole. 

Any CEO of WB would have to penny pinch

. WB cannot spend money the way it has in the past and survive.THe issue is HOW you penny pinch. Deep cuts in spending were inevitable.

You are blaming Zaslev for all of Warners problems. The problems were caused by past WB administrations which overspent and put them into deep debt. Zaslev was brought to handle the situation. He is not doing a good job of it.

• Like 1

Zaslav might've been able to maintain a sliver of respect if he were honest about the state WB's financials were in, just how desperate the need was to cut back on projects, and genuinely and empathetically acknowledged the collateral damage that would result. As it is this came out from second hand journalistic sources, so he's still an evil douchebag in my book.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3