Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

When I went to the theater a few months back the workers were describing a movie they could not name the title of.  I then asked if it was "Paws of Fury."  They said that was it and were very excited I got it.  They also said nobody was coming for it.

WB is moving shows like Harry Potter, Lanterns and Welcome To Derry to mainline HBO rather than MAX exclusives. Good move IMO, particularly with how they are so connected with the film franchises. 

For DC, I think the more expensive and bigger scale shows will move to HBO like Paradise Lost, while smaller scale stuff like Peacemaker will stay on MAX (Booster Gold could be either, esp if the rumours of Danny McBride and his crew being invovled are true given his longstanding relationship with the network).

• Like 1

If they're moving Harry Potter off they're definitely deprioritizing Max.

Cannot fucking believe their lesson from the Green Lantern movie is EVEN LESS OUTER SPACE SHIT

Edited by SpiderByte

11 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't want a Blazing Saddles remake.

People wouldn't get the humor anymore and the movie would most likely be terrible as a result. It was a product of a very specific window in comedy time.

I have to agree; If they wanted to do a reamake, of a Brooks film. 'Young Frankenstien" has aged much, much better then Saddles has.

On 5/10/2024 at 7:52 AM, Macleod said:

Digital de-aging, baby...  but it only works if they get *everyone* (they want in the cast) back on board... and they may not.  (and of course Christopher Lee, Bernard Hill have passed...and Viggo may want nothing to do with it...)  Could definitely see Elijah, Orlando, Sean A, Sean B, etc. doing the movie.    

I see you did not read the proposed plotline for 'Hunt For Gollum." Only chartecers you would need are Gollum Aragorn and Gandalf. In fact, Aragron would share the main charecters spotlight with Gollum..which wuld be awkard if Viggo wanted nothing to do with it.

Anyway trying to spin a movie from a brief three paragraphs in the novel is not a good idea.

• Like 1

Lindelof on GL for HBO sounds nuts. Watchmen's still the GOAT of CB TV by a country mile, so lets see if he can repeat. Especially now since superhero streaming shows are so passe haha

• Like 2

Really hope this doesn’t mean less Successions and Euphorias so they can focus on IP based stuff. But that’s probably what will happen. One advantage of the TV industry over the film industry was that there was more space for originality or creative risks/niches but that seems to be going away for a Harry Potter reboot since Fantastic Beasts failed and another attempt at the DC universe.

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Really hope this doesn’t mean less Successions and Euphorias so they can focus on IP based stuff. But that’s probably what will happen. One advantage of the TV industry over the film industry was that there was more space for originality or creative risks/niches but that seems to be going away for a Harry Potter reboot since Fantastic Beasts failed and another attempt at the DC universe.

Do we know what exactly Warners has in mind for the Potter reboot? For a while we were hearing they it was going to be basicaly a new version of the original novels. but we have not heard that for along time. Maybe WB itself does not know what it is going t do.....

46 minutes ago, TMP said:

Lindelof on GL for HBO sounds nuts. Watchmen's still the GOAT of CB TV by a country mile, so lets see if he can repeat. Especially now since superhero streaming shows are so passe haha

Unless his third act  problems return.

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Really hope this doesn’t mean less Successions and Euphorias so they can focus on IP based stuff. But that’s probably what will happen.

Less Euphorias is a net positive, so they might as well get David Chase for the Wonder Twins show next

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Do we know what exactly Warners has in mind for the Potter reboot? For a while we were hearing they it was going to be basicaly a new version of the original novels. but we have not heard that for along time. Maybe WB itself does not know what it is going t do.....

Who knows at this point. WB has their Barbies and their Dunes and stuff which I love, but everything else has just been throwing whatever junk they can get their hands on at a wall at seeing what sticks until someone saves them.

• Like 1

The Harry Potter reboot is still a monumentally stupid idea, by the way. If that was Rowling’s idea, I can only assume it’s largely being done to spite the main trio for their mildly critical remarks about her in recent years.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The Harry Potter reboot is still a monumentally stupid idea, by the way. If that was Rowling’s idea, I can only assume it’s largely being done to spite the main trio for their mildly critical remarks about her in recent years.

From a bussiness side I will not call it stupid, since the Potterheads are a very loyal fanbase.  Sure I would have no interest, but it has a built in audience who pay with their wallets.  

18 hours ago, Human said:

From a bussiness side I will not call it stupid, since the Potterheads are a very loyal fanbase.  Sure I would have no interest, but it has a built in audience who pay with their wallets.  

But would basically a remake of the novels attract the GA?  And in the end they need the GA in large numbers to make this a sucess.

The Potter fanbase is big, but not that big; it alone is not enough to justify the kind of money that will have to be spent.

Edited by dudalb

Every time I hear news about the HP Reboot I think "damn they're still trying to do this?". This just feels like its going to be way overproduced like most of these big shows are today, and those Potter movies weren't cheap to make either.

I still think it's too soon for all this and it wont have the staying power WB thinks it will. If they wanted to do a reboot so bad it should've been animated, but maybe they think animation is beneath the IP, which is silly to me in all honesty if thats the case. 

The Harry Potter television series is starting to take shape.

Succession duo Francesca Gardiner and Mark Mylod have signed up as its writer and director, respectively.

This comes four months after Deadline revealed that Gardiner was one of three finalists to win the prize to reboot the classic kids franchise for the small screen. Gardiner beat Tom Moran and Kathleen Jordan to win the gig.

https://deadline.com/2024/06/harry-potter-showrunner-director-1235983341/amp/

Per Rowling, both were interviewed and approved by her, which reiterates that she has complete creative control over this. Wouldn’t surprise me if she will pick the cast as well, like she did with the movies.