Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

31 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

They were 1 out of 4 in terms of delivery. A fresh perspective is a great idea at this point.

Depends on what you mean by “fresh perspective”. I would assume they’re gonna try and do a nostalgia bait cash grab. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

They were 1 out of 4 in terms of delivery. A fresh perspective is a great idea at this point.

Agreed.

But I and the Matrix fans will never agree.

Problme I had with 2 and 3 is they were not half and clever and intellecutal as the Warchowski thought were....I had a hard time with the pretentions.Tge term I would use "they impressed the easily impressed"

• Like 1

RESURRECTIONS clearly established that amount of die hard Matrix Fans out there is pretty small. There should be little concern towards upsetting them. Upside of reinventing something and broadening appeal is easy to see.

17 hours ago, Human said:

For the first time in my life it feels weird that I have never seen The Matrix.  I think I got the gist from Robot Chicken.

You should at least watch the first film, just for cultural literacy.

On 4/4/2024 at 4:14 PM, WittyUsername said:

Depends on what you mean by “fresh perspective”. I would assume they’re gonna try and do a nostalgia bait cash grab. 

Funnily enough, it's genuinely been long enough (~20 years) that you really could plausibly be primed for an "authentic" attempt at remaking the film (or, really, making an original "AI wins war against humanity & humanity lives trapped in a digital world" story). 

The first movie is "grounded" in a 90s vision reacting against an older mid20th century vision ("company men," whether quasi-FBI or drab, conformist office cubicals abound in the first half of the film).

There's a lot of energy around "AI" and growth of perpetually online stuff so there's really a way to readapt it into something new and fresh. Not that we'll get that. 

Switching this from the Superman (2025) thread over to the WB thread where it probably belonged in the first place:

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I mean it's too late now but I think James Gunn should've announced the end of the current DCEU instead of trying be all coy about it and announced a big finale movie that would wrap up the current universe. It would of course be animated but at least it would bring some closure. All of the unreleased movies would play a role in building up to said movie. This would make it so they could bring back just about everyone as voice actors and anyone who they weren't able to bring back for whatever reason, they could just recast. They could also end it with a glimpse through the multiverse that ended on a new Earth that would be the upcoming DCU.

Problem with that is, besides pushing everything else back, is... someone has to write and develop it.  Can't just sit down in a day and write a hurried end to a franchise that was still mostly in the middle of a run.  These projects can be in preproduction for quite a while before we even get a whiff of it.  Gunn officially was hired in late August of 2022 to write his Superman film and I have no idea how informally he was working on it before then (when he pitched it, or how long he was working on it before it was pitched, for instance).  That's probably delaying everything another year and a half to two years even before the strikes made everything else get delayed even further.

Kinda more to the point, how do you tie everything up in one project given where the DCEU was at the time?  Ironically enough, The Flash could have been a perfect "end point", but it was too late to really mess with it (more than they did that is + they had two more films on the way).

IMO, in an Ideal World, they spend the money to retool The Flash, punt that to after Aquaman 2 and then use that as a send off for the DCEU. 

Problem was... Well... they had a main star that was public relations poison and that's a little bit of a hurdle to overcome.  So too was throwing the gobs of money down the rat hole that would be needed to make The Flash be the end-point. 

(AIUI they already mucked around with the ending of The Flash, but I couldn't comment on that definitively)

I know James Gunn has tried to be cute with the status of Blue Beetle, and good for him for trying, I suppose.  But in the end, there were precious few good options available. Just "least bad" ones. Maybe if Ezra Miller hadn't been facing all of their troubles, that would have been one thing.  But they were.  And that was yet another piece of Very Bad Luck that the DCEU faced.

In many ways, if not most ways, a lot of events conspired against the DCEU and it's a wonder it did as well as it did.  On the other hand, it had more than its fair share of self-inflicted wounds, so can only curse the Fates so much.

So, yeah,  I get what you're suggesting.  But it isn't quite as simple or as easy it might seem, IMO.  Or as quick, for that matter.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Audiences had already given up on the DCEU continuity. And done so BEFORE Flash released.

I disagree. Black Adam was a fine hit, we just didn't fully appreciate it in context. A sequel with him fighting Cavill's Superman is an easy $125-140m opening weekend tentpole. Aquaman 2 clearly had high potential. Wonder Woman 3 would have gotten buzz. etc etc. 

57 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I disagree. Black Adam was a fine hit, we just didn't fully appreciate it in context. A sequel with him fighting Cavill's Superman is an easy $125-140m opening weekend tentpole. Aquaman 2 clearly had high potential. Wonder Woman 3 would have gotten buzz. etc etc. 

None of this would have happened.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

My loss o respect for Johnson is based not so much on the film itself, but on the whole way he handled it's  not very good reception.

His attempts to prove it was some kind of great sucess were just pathetic.

Wasn't The Rock clearly trying to get a PR victory for the purpose of winning/not losing this corporate struggle over what films would be made in the future. For example, the 'Black Adam is a profitable hit' piece had a "and Hawkman's getting his own film too" claim that was stealth edited out of the piece. How much of this is self delusion and how much is a man putting in a day's work trying to get something greenlit? 

13 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Shazam was very well-received even if it wasn’t huge. Beyond that the response was mediocre at best. And then all three franchises lost their luster with their poor sequels.

That's what I thought too but I'm not wondering if we just drank the kool-aid on spinning the film's gross as good (even if it was clearly profitable). Deadline's OW article for Shazam 2 noted that Shazam 1's posttrak "% positive" was in the 70s (bad) and that's presumably why we didn't get that anecdote in 2019. That balances out the better cinemascore to some degree.

55 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

no way people would forget the original cast. Just like Amazon dreamed they can make a great LOTR TV series.

Amazon’s LotR at least tells a different story from what came before. We absolutely do not need a seven season Harry Potter show that adapts each of the books. 

On 4/10/2024 at 9:16 AM, PlatnumRoyce said:

Wasn't The Rock clearly trying to get a PR victory for the purpose of winning/not losing this corporate struggle over what films would be made in the future. For example, the 'Black Adam is a profitable hit' piece had a "and Hawkman's getting his own film too" claim that was stealth edited out of the piece. How much of this is self delusion and how much is a man putting in a day's work trying to get something greenlit? 

That's what I thought too but I'm not wondering if we just drank the kool-aid on spinning the film's gross as good (even if it was clearly profitable). Deadline's OW article for Shazam 2 noted that Shazam 1's posttrak "% positive" was in the 70s (bad) and that's presumably why we didn't get that anecdote in 2019. That balances out the better cinemascore to some degree.

I mean, all of this is why The Rock is back with WWE and regrets endorsing someone for President. He needs people to love him. It's also why he showed up at CinemaCon for Moana 2.