Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I will never understand the protectiveness certain people have over this guy, but whatever. 

There are multiple ends of spectrum. The ones saying he sucks and is terrible etc are doing for mostly silly reasons. WBD share price in 2023 has been excellent. IDK who is truly loving the guy, but I respect that he's made some tough calls and isn't backing down from them. The studio was in horrific shape when he took over. 

WB, during Zaslav's time, has scored some pretty notable creative wins with talent both behind and infant of the camera. Matt Reeves, Villeneuve, James Gunn, Greta Gerwig, Shymalan, Baz Lurman, Muschietti, Chalamet, Butler, Pattinson are clearly WB people. Others like Nolan, James Wan have clear ties to studio that could be worth something in the future. 

Edited by excel1

Its also beyond obvious that the previous crew oversaw some historically bad mismanagement of DC and Harry Potter-related properties. Like, shockingly bad. Not even just films, but big picture strategy. 

How in gods name are we just getting aquaman 2 years after the first 1.2b hit film? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, excel1 said:

There are multiple ends of spectrum. The ones saying he sucks and is terrible etc are doing for mostly silly reasons. WBD share price in 2023 has been excellent. IDK who is truly loving the guy, but I respect that he's made some tough calls and isn't backing down from them. The studio was in horrific shape when he took over. 

WB, during Zaslav's time, has scored some pretty notable creative wins with talent both behind and infant of the camera. Matt Reeves, Villeneuve, James Gunn, Greta Gerwig, Shymalan, Baz Lurman, Muschietti, Chalamet, Butler, Pattinson are clearly WB people. Others like Nolan, James Wan have clear ties to studio that could be worth something in the future. 

Didn’t the merger take place in 2022? Most of those people were attached to WB projects well before the merger. Some of their projects were even released before the merger even took place.

Just now, Speedorito said:

Didn’t the merger take place in 2022? Most of those people were attached to WB projects well before the merger. Some of their projects were even released before the merger even took place.

Reeves first look deal is pretty recent. Zas could have axed anything opening in 2023 or beyond. 

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Reeves first look deal is pretty recent. Zas could have axed anything opening in 2023 or beyond. 

The Reeves thing was good, but he had already directed The Batman, which was already a success.

As for the other part, does he really deserve credit for that? Is not canceling Barbie or Dune: Part 2 a super savvy move? Not to mention hyping up The Flash, which backfired majorly.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 21C said:

It's not really protectiveness as much as I simply think that a lot of the arguments made against him are kinda dumb. I'd rather not defend him, but I just don't agree with a lot of the takes over his business decisions. 

I don’t know. Most of the arguments I’ve seen against him are about how he comes off like a horribly out of touch snake oil salesman who’s actively pissing off creatives. At least, that’s why I personally don’t like him. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know. Most of the arguments I’ve seen against him are about how he comes off like a horribly out of touch snake oil salesman who’s actively pissing off creatives. At least, that’s why I personally don’t like him. 

Very respectfully, you should evaluate the short and long-term effects of his decision making and his overall effectiveness at increasing the popularity of WBD content as that is the ultimate path to increased shareholder value aka profitability. 

Who cares how he comes off on TV. Jeff Bezos has built a company that provides enormous amounts of an incredibly valuable and impossible to find thing- time - to people everywhere. His company has improved the lives for millions upon millions of people. He comes off as a Lex Luthor type. 

Have to be juddging the right things. 

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Its also beyond obvious that the previous crew oversaw some historically bad mismanagement of DC and Harry Potter-related properties. Like, shockingly bad. Not even just films, but big picture strategy. 

How in gods name are we just getting aquaman 2 years after the first 1.2b hit film? 

How exactly has his management of both those properties shown any kind of improvement? He's shown to be completely tone deaf over the very REAL controversies regarding Ezra Miller and JK Rowling. What he magically thinks people are gonna tune in to Harry Potter reboot now? He's delusional a part of me wouldn't be shocked if the Harry Potter reboot never sees the light of day because he would have sold the company long before it could even start filming.

He's delusional just like he was when he said that he cancelled Batgirl because it would ruin the prestige of the DC Line. When the DC Line couldn't be at its LOWEST after the performance of 3 films in a row.

The dude is literal scum and everything that comes out of his mouth is full proof of why the writers are striking.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

How exactly has his management of both those properties shown any kind of improvement? He's shown to be completely tone deaf over the very REAL controversies regarding Ezra Miller and JK Rowling. What he magically thinks people are gonna tune in to Harry Potter reboot now? He's delusional a part of me wouldn't be shocked if the Harry Potter reboot never sees the light of day because he would have sold the company long before it could even start filming.

He's delusional just like he was when he said that he cancelled Batgirl because it would ruin the prestige of the DC Line. When the DC Line couldn't be at its LOWEST after the performance of 3 films in a row.

The dude is literal scum and everything that comes out of his mouth is full proof of why the writers are striking.

If hogwarts legacy hasn't shown that the HP ip is much bigger than rowling I don't know what more proof people need?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think people are taking their hate boners of Zaslav way too seriously.... 

I remember when he said that all the measures he has taken will likely be repeated by the entire industry and at the end of the day HE WAS RIGHT.

• Like 2

Some of the choices Zaslav is making are smart from a business standpoint and necessary to get WB out of debt. However, the man has a terrible habit of stepping on people's toes and burning bridges with talent.

It's not so much what Zaslav is doing. It's how he's doing it.

Posted in daily numbers thread as well but probably best to post here...

https://www.indiewire.com/features/commentary/tcm-layoffs-warner-bros-spielberg-scorsese-paul-thomas-anderson-protest-1234877220/

Me after reading this article a few minutes ago on my phone... 

Larry David Faints GIF - Larry David Faints - Discover ...

...had to sit down.

Hopefully TCM isn't eventually shuttered. Would devastate me as a film fan. I keep it on in the background when work from home. it's very calming. Feels like home. I actually say exactly what Scorsese said when people ask why I leave it on in the background all day... Okay, not as eloquently, but still, I say the gist of what he does...

“It gives me something to turn to, to bounce off of, to rest in, to reinvigorate my thinking — just glancing at some image or combination of images at a certain moment,” Scorsese told the Los Angeles Times of his favorite network. “It’s more like a presence in the room, a reminder of film history as a living, ongoing entity.”

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

I remember when he said that all the measures he has taken will likely be repeated by the entire industry and at the end of the day HE WAS RIGHT.

The rage by those online were a bit insufferable and the irony was that everyone else started doing the same.

10 minutes ago, JWR said:

Some of the choices Zaslav is making are smart from a business standpoint and necessary to get WB out of debt. However, the man has a terrible habit of stepping on people's toes and burning bridges with talent.

It's not so much what Zaslav is doing. It's how he's doing it.

CEOs don't care what people on the internet think of them. I'm indifferent to him but some people get way too angry and overinvested in people who run these big corporations. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The rage by those online were a bit insufferable and the irony was that everyone else started doing the same.

CEOs don't care what people on the internet think of them. I'm indifferent to him but some people get way too angry and overinvested in people who run these big corporations. 

I doubt Mr. Zaslav cares too much about what people are saying about him online. Still, some of these moves seem questionable at best from a PR standpoint. 

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

Very respectfully, you should evaluate the short and long-term effects of his decision making and his overall effectiveness at increasing the popularity of WBD content as that is the ultimate path to increased shareholder value aka profitability. 

Who cares how he comes off on TV. Jeff Bezos has built a company that provides enormous amounts of an incredibly valuable and impossible to find thing- time - to people everywhere. His company has improved the lives for millions upon millions of people. He comes off as a Lex Luthor type. 

Have to be juddging the right things. 

People don’t usually like Jeff Bezos either, but regardless, Zaslav has yet to show any impressive results for Warner Bros. as a company. The little stunt he pulled trying to get people to see the Flash movie blew up in his face. Not a good start. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Posted in daily numbers thread as well but probably best to post here...

https://www.indiewire.com/features/commentary/tcm-layoffs-warner-bros-spielberg-scorsese-paul-thomas-anderson-protest-1234877220/

Me after reading this article a few minutes ago on my phone... 

Larry David Faints GIF - Larry David Faints - Discover ...

...had to sit down.

Hopefully TCM isn't eventually shuttered. Would devastate me as a film fan. I keep it on in the background when work from home. it's very calming. Feels like home. I actually say exactly what Scorsese said when people ask why I leave it on in the background all day... Okay, not as eloquently, but still, I say the gist of what he does...

“It gives me something to turn to, to bounce off of, to rest in, to reinvigorate my thinking — just glancing at some image or combination of images at a certain moment,” Scorsese told the Los Angeles Times of his favorite network. “It’s more like a presence in the room, a reminder of film history as a living, ongoing entity.”

Ryan Reynolds is one of the coolest dudes in all Hollywood: