Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Warner Bros. No Longer in Legendary's Future 

In addition to new leadership at the studio under the helm of CEO Kevin Tsujihara, Warner Bros. is looking to take more control over films based on DC’s superheroes and not offer the projects up to co-financiers the way it let Legendary back Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, “Superman Returns” and “Man of Steel.” Legendary benefited from the success of those hits since it paid for half of their production costs.

Edited by Neo

Legendary have helped WB with hit films but they've had their fair share of flops. I imagine WB will find another producer/financier for various films,

The article said WB will finance them and they already have some production/finance companies.

Robinov is out.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/yet-another-warner-bros-shake-up-jeff-robinov-quitting-movie-studio-after-no-new-contract-offered-and-kevin-tsujiharas-war-of-silence-sue-kroll-dan-fellman-greg-silverman-may-lead-as-triumvira/

The destabilization of once rock-solid Warner Bros continues. I’ve learned that Jeff Robinov has decided to leave as Warner Brothers Pictures Group President after months of waiting in vain for Time Warner Jeff Bewkes and Warner Bros Chairman Kevin Tsujihara to offer him a new contract when his expires in December. Robinov this week enlisted both his attorney Skip Brittenham and his friend and former Warner Bros chairman Bob Daly to negotiate his exit. Robinov’s frustration follows Bewkes and Tsujihara placing him inside the ‘cone of silence’ in recent weeks ever since the home entertainment ...

Is Robinov responsible for the re-writing of MOS?

EXCLUSIVE: Legendary And New Entry Lionsgate Set Meeting For Later This Week; Details On What Thomas Tull Wants

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that Legendary Entertainment’s Thomas Tull continues kicking ties on all sides of Hollywood right now. He’s planned a meeting for later this week with the entire Lionsgate team including chief Jon Feltheimer and Posted ImageSummit-turned-Lionsgate film co-chief Rob Friedman. “It’s an interesting choice and a new entry,” a source tells me. “He really respects Rob [Friedman] and Felt.” I already told you over the weekend that Tull’s had two meetings with NBCUniversal chief and Comcast #2 Steve Burke over NBCU. And Sony is still very much in this “because he loves their business and loves the Sony people and really likes Michael Lynton”. So, too, Fox because Tull “loves” Jim Gianopulos. “But if Jeff Robinov goes there it may not happen,” a source told me today. (Robinov months before he parted ways with Warner Bros told me “My relationship with Tull is pretty good. It’s had its ups and downs. I’d like to see them stay.”) As for Warner Bros, Tull for weeks now has begun every meeting with a studio by pledging that he’s “not talking to Warner Bros and definitely intending to move on”. But the studios tell me they’re convinced that’s just a negotiating ploy and if the right deal was offered he’d stay.

So strange to hear the word ‘love’ tossed around so ubiquitously when describing Hollywood’s always complicated relationships. “Thomas is all about, ‘Who do I like?’ He likes Fox, he loves both Sony people, he loves Universal and loves Ron Meyer and the Comcast guys. He loves Alan Horn but Disney doesn’t need him.” As I’ve already reported, both Disney and Paramount respectfully passed. Tonight, The Hollywood Reportererroneously reported that Tull has pared down his list to Universal and Sony – not true. Variety tonight inaccurately reported that only Universal, Sony and Fox are still in the running – also not true. Neither media outlet had a clue about the forthcoming Legendary-Lionsgate meeting.

I’ve also learned exclusively what Tull wants to offer and what he wants in return for a new deal as he makes his way around the studios. Summed up one studio mogul who heard Tull’s pitch: “His appetite is significant. It”s what he thinks Legendary is worth.” I’ve learned that he starts off talking conceptually – not specifics. ”Thomas is looking for a 360 media deal. He wants films, parks, TV. He wants a big partner, an even more all-encompassing deal to leverage his IP library of films, comics, and soon TV and license out the content he owns”.

But let’s get real: the studios want Legendary mostly for what it will finance for them. After building up his war chest and closing on $720M in financing in 2011 alone and more in 2012, Tull has “has access to billions more through various revolver accounts and other levers he can pull,” a source tells me. “He did $443M of pure equity with Waddell & Reed in a monster deal in December 2012. He has equity and financing for $272M. And he has a huge cash-rich business with hit after hit after hit over the years. That’s a lot of leverage.”

Overall, Tull wants a much improved deal over his present one at Warner Bros. “He feels he was paying too high a distribution fee at Warner Bros for Pacific Rim and Godzilla which Legendary is making. He’s paying over 10% fees for those movies. That’s high relative to what’s usually given the people who put up the money,” another source tells me. He wants to pay 8% for the 10 to 12 films Legendary will be fully financing.”

I’ve also learned that “Tull is looking to keep certain rights for the movies he finances, like his own Netflix deals.” And that Tull “also wants a producer deal for himself so he gets compensated from the studios separate from paying a distribution deal to the studios.” He wants more involvement in the development process through shooting and post-production all the way through marketing and distribution.

Of course, Tull may love almost everyone, but not everyone is in love with Tull. “He’s sitting in these studio meetings pitching his track record that Legendary-associated productions have had $7.2B grosses worldwide at the box office,” one source tells me. “But I’m thinking, ‘Aren’t those just the movies that were offered you or weren’t offered you? Are you joking?’” Says another source: “Thomas takes credit for stuff he hasn’t generated. He has that reputation.” Others are resenting how this drawn-out process is playing out in the press, suggesting that Tull likes the media attention. (“Are you joking?” one Tull insider guffawed to me. “That’s the opposite of reality. He won’t even read press on himself.”) Any deals can take months of painstaking negotiations and Tull himself has said he’ll make up his mind within 60 days. But “Tull is known to push bankers and lawyers out of the room when he wants something and to move pretty quickly,” an insider told me over the weekend.

LOL

• Like 2

This is just about WB controlling more share out of their DC line up, am I right?But who holds the DC right? Can't be Legendary Pics...?

Warner Bros owns DC but Legendary helped finance The Dark Knight trilogy, MoS etc so get a percentage of the profits and I think WB wants to solely finance DC films like they did with Harry Potter.

Warner Bros owns DC but Legendary helped finance The Dark Knight trilogy, MoS etc so get a percentage of the profits and I think WB wants to solely finance DC films like they did with Harry Potter.

I wonder what Legendary Pictures bring to the table other than financing? As an investor/partner they certainly can influence the script, but how much influence? 

Warner Bros. Closing Massive Financing Deal With Dune to Replace Legendary (Exclusive)

The new deal, say sources, would cover Warners' entire movie slate and would last three or four years. One source says the arrangement also would cover a portion of Man of Steel, the pricey Superman reboot that opened in June.

Edited by Neo