A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

29 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Like I said a month ago, Marvel is dead in China. All of this, "Well it could be coming next month. Rumors say it's coming!" is just wishful thinking because people don't want to accept the fact that it's over. 

It's definetly not "dead"

The fanbase here in China is still strong,too many people still love Marvel film

8 minutes ago, Bruce said:

It's definetly not "dead"

The fanbase here in China is still strong,too many people still love Marvel film

I'm talking in terms of films releasing. Doesn't mean anything to have fans if they can't see the product. 

• Like 2

Highest Grossing films in Single Country

1. 🇺🇲 Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $840M
2. 🇨🇳 The Battle at Lake Changjin - $828M*
3. 🇨🇳 Wolf Warrior 2 - $794M
4. 🇺🇲 Avengers: Endgame - $774M
5. 🇨🇳 Hi, Mom - $764M

* = still running

few notes;
1. US gross only, not including Canada.
2. China grosses are taken without ticket booking charges to make it apples vs apples.
3. Chinese grosses in US$ are arbitrary depending on ER you take, I take daily exchange rate for daily gross conversion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:44 PM, KP1025 said:

One does get the feeling they are trolling Marvel at this point by denying them empty release slots and filling them with bombs like Snake Eyes or Jungle Cruise instead. Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals arguably had some controversial elements (either in the film or behind the scenes) that complicated their release, but Venom 2 already got approved months ago and has also seemingly been shelved from theatrical release. And as you mentioned, they are really dragging their feet on making a decision about NWH.

Marvel losing Chinese box office is a massive deal imo. Also possibly other franchises.

It makes them box office totals without China look pretty average lol.

Its a shame to see the MCU China run end but China is trying to boost their own movie business so it’s gotta do what it’s gotta do. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, exomassey said:

Marvel losing Chinese box office is a massive deal imo. Also possibly other franchises.

It makes them box office totals without China look pretty average lol.

Its a shame to see the MCU China run end but China is trying to boost their own movie business so it’s gotta do what it’s gotta do. 

Not China, but entire Asia is going to reclaim their all-time throne with local blockbusters, whether International media called a propaganda or fan-crazy. It's about the future of their cinema. I do disagree mass-blocking of Imported film for local blockbuster but at the end, which country would ever want imported films dominating National charts. Time has changed, we just need to upgrade with time. Rest is up to God. 

After all, losing China does not cost much, there are new location that can provide huge profit like the Middle East &Africa. Also, if there is better ticket pricing in India, then we can expect better revenue equivalent to China &US.

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Not China, but entire Asia is going to reclaim their all-time throne with local blockbusters, whether International media called a propaganda or fan-crazy. It's about the future of their cinema. I do disagree mass-blocking of Imported film for local blockbuster but at the end, which country would ever want imported films dominating National charts. Time has changed, we just need to upgrade with time. Rest is up to God. 

After all, losing China does not cost much, there are new location that can provide huge profit like the Middle East &Africa. Also, if there is better ticket pricing in India, then we can expect better revenue equivalent to China &US.

That's one of worst reasoning I have seen been thrown around. This reasoning is used by people to hide their own box office failures - "My movie was gobsmackingly good but a random movie from Hollywood made my movie make less! We should ban foreign films."

I live in India and until and unless movie has Endgame level hype,  No Foreign movie can really dethrone a local blockbuster movie, even if they are released same day. If I have to watch a movie from my own countries five WOODS - bolly, tolly, sandal, polly and cholly, I will watch it - irrespective of when they are released. Foreign movie - no matter how good rarely has been able to dethrone's local blockbuster movies which may or may not have been utter garbage.

Lets not talk about Europe but All major Asian countries already have their own local Industry dominating their own box-office. China already has too much protection for their local movies already. 

Leave movies aside for a second, you know how Japan's manga publishers and Korea's manhwa publishers are trying their best to promote manga/manhwa all around world, but what if English speaking countries started banning 'em because the sales of DC/MCU and local comics have grown too low? Most Indian Kids nowadays don't even know names of most famous comic books that were made in India - but all of them know about Goku, Naruto and Luffy.  

I have seen people begging for some Anime Movies and live-action movies from Japan to be released in here but we don't get 'em because of scope of our market. When the whole world is trying to get global, then steps and reasoning like these makes me vomit. Please, Let the viewer/reader atleast choose what they wanna read/watch -  that's the least of freedom you can grant to your citizen. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, anti-Pedantic said:

I have seen people begging for some Anime Movies and live-action movies from Japan to be released in here but we don't get 'em because of scope of our market. When the whole world is trying to get global, then steps and reasoning like these makes me vomit. Please, Let the viewer/reader atleast choose what they wanna read/watch -  that's the least of freedom you can grant to your citizen. 

It's because of piracy &unfavorable market. India ⁢s neighboring countries has lots of piracy issues, Aniplex of Japan thinking a lots before licensing copies to ODEX. I myself, has talked to lot a people who just chose piracy then a release, That is why, ODEX never had planned to release it wide &limited the release to fan screenings. Well, Aniplex does not care much, because they want films to release only in Korea &China (including ROC, HK.SAR &MC.SAR) Things are slowly changing now, manga introduction has been given a second thought by end of 2022. But, I do not know how Indian reacts. On the other hand, anime does not itself has broadcasting station at India due to local dominating anime production. 

32 minutes ago, anti-Pedantic said:

Leave movies aside for a second, you know how Japan's manga publishers and Korea's manhwa publishers are trying their best to promote manga/manhwa all around world, but what if English speaking countries started banning 'em because the sales of DC/MCU and local comics have grown too low? Most Indian Kids nowadays don't even know names of most famous comic books that were made in India - but all of them know about Goku, Naruto and Luffy. 

As a Japanese, we do not care much about this. Because, copies are already circulated online without actually buying. English markets are never favourable for anime films as you can see how destructively frontloaded markets are outside Asia for an anime film. The only thing concerning me is that, Some Studio do not think Oversea release as favourable, instead they sell their work directly to Prime Video or Netflix. I do not know what content you have read in manga, that is sufficent enough to ban. We are not involved in politics with other countries, Hardly speaks about their internal matter. So, we never are affected by this black out but yes on rating/censhoring because Billibilli &Aniplex of China find editing difficult because Studio license copy to release not to edit/reproduce. In Short, I am saying that Political breakdown &narrow minded heated arguements between US &China is affecting non notable factors &entertainment industry. It is not a problem of User Choices but what statement US passes to China, is directly monitored by Board. And CFA will never attempt to release a film when the country of origin of film is in direct conflict. If the situation like heated arguement on TBLAC being propaganda was not published then, you could seen NWH release day &date release with USA. Rest is what you understand

47 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I do not know what content you have read in manga, that is sufficent enough to ban.

No, No. I am not talking about bans due to content. I am talking about banning something due to it being more popular than local things. I don't mind banning things for content itself, that may be against their culture or nation. 

I even highlighted the potion about I was talking when you said, "Not China, but entire Asia is going to reclaim their all-time throne with local blockbusters, whether International media called a propaganda or fan-crazy. It's about the future of their cinema."  I am simply against banning of Hollywood/Foreign movies when your Industry is already dominated by local movies and they put ban by giving reason that Foreign movies are eating their income.

Edited by anti-Pedantic

23 minutes ago, anti-Pedantic said:

I am simply against banning of Hollywood/Foreign movies when your Industry is already dominated by local movies and they put ban by giving reason that Foreign movies are eating their income.

I never said that Foreign films in China opposed due to content domination. But, due to political tension between US &China, fake review bombing by West and so on..... Late Hollywood release like Titanic &Japan's The Neighbor Totoro still has also made money in China. In fact, Spirited Away, is the best rated anime film in Douban. If I say Eternals, NWH....as American propaganda then entire BOT user will pass comments against me, same is happening in China, if foreigners does not care about Chinese Films, call them as propaganda, pass fake reviews then obviously it will heat tension between the two super-powered country. It is just clean cut answer, no one wants other countries fellows to speak odd about their industry. It's just a matter of time if NWH get release in Jan, rest to up to people.

Seoul welcomes release of Korean movie in Chinese theaters in 6 years

The upcoming return of a Korean film to Chinese cinemas for the first time in six years is seen as a positive sign that the two countries could move forward discussions on expanding cultural exchanges, Seoul officials said Thursday.

The film "Oh! My Gran" starring actress Na Moon-hee is set to hit theaters in mainland China on Friday, becoming the first Korean movie to be released in the country since "Assassination" in 2015.

"We evaluate (the movie's release) as positive progress," a foreign ministry official said. "We have delivered our opinions concerning cultural content to the Chinese side on various occasions, and hope the consultations could bring about more positive actions."

China's reopening to the Korean movie has raised cautious hope that Beijing may lift its ban on Korean content it imposed in protest of Seoul's decision to deploy a U.S. missile defense system in 2016.

Seoul has been closely communicating with Beijing to promote exchanges in the cultural sector to create an amicable environment for marking the 30th anniversary of establishing bilateral diplomatic relations next year, the official said.

The issue of bilateral cultural exchanges has been raised during three rounds of talks between the two nations' top diplomats this year, and a virtual senior-level economic meeting earlier this week.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211202008000325

according to rumors, more than 60 Chinese-South Korean co-produced film and TV dramas have not been released in the Chinese mainland since 2016

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Fair.

I just feel sorry for the Chinese Marvel fans not getting anymore movies in theatres. If that was me I would be really frustrated.

The MCU’s success there was great and it is sad to see it end but as you say hopefully other growing markets can make up for the Chinese loss.

I bet Disney\Marvel will be very upset. Losing one of your franchises biggest markets definitely puts a dent in its success.

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I never said that Foreign films in China opposed due to content domination. But, due to political tension between US &China, fake review bombing by West and so on..... Late Hollywood release like Titanic &Japan's The Neighbor Totoro still has also made money in China. In fact, Spirited Away, is the best rated anime film in Douban. If I say Eternals, NWH....as American propaganda then entire BOT user will pass comments against me, same is happening in China, if foreigners does not care about Chinese Films, call them as propaganda, pass fake reviews then obviously it will heat tension between the two super-powered country. It is just clean cut answer, no one wants other countries fellows to speak odd about their industry. It's just a matter of time if NWH get release in Jan, rest to up to people.

Even thought both can be propaganda their still is a clear difference between the regimes in the US / Europe (that also do terrible things / harm people) vs what for example the Chinese regime does (even worse).

Edited by pepsa