A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

As a Chinese, I have to say that the repute of Marvel online in China is very bad nowadays, too many people think Marvel is humiliating to Chinese,Eternal's Hiroshima atomic bomb problem and Shang-Chi makes too many Chinese feel disgusting and uncomfortable,they think Marvel have no respect for Chinese people,All these things had a big impact on the imported of Spider-Man

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

As a Chinese, I have to say that a review of Marvel online in China is very ,very bad, too many people think Marvel is humiliating to Chinese,Eternal's Japanese-bomb problem and Shang-Chi makes too many Chinese feel disgusting and uncomfortable,they think Marvel have no respect for Chinese people,This had a big impact on the imported of Spider-Man

we will see ,it seems likely that spidey will release in china and hype is big.I also wouldnt take anything that is online for guarantee at all, if the other social media reactions are to go buy.

Edited by john2000

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

we will see ,it seems likely that spidey will release in china and hype is big.I also wouldnt take anything that is online for guarantee at all, if the other social media reactions are to go buy.

WOM is the biggest challenge in Mainland China (Example: see DC3 OP &Finals). I don't know how reaction will filter here but atleast expect some good scene that can not only drive fans but also GA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

In China, many people are looking forward to the spider-man's release, even part of my classmates have already started to discuss the new spider-man movie.

But the problem is the repute of Marvel as a brand in China is very bad now, a lot of patriotic personage begin to resist the imported of Marvel movie ,this hype is also big, I don't know what to say, I can only hope that spider-man can enter the Chinese market smoothly

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

But on the other hand, I still don't know why Marvel do these things offend the Chinese, we always love Marvel, and we always has been a Marvel film's biggest overseas market, we contributed more than $600 million at the box office to the Endgame , but now Marvel do these things which really hurt our hearts ,for now, I am still a Marvel fan ,and looking forward to the new spider-man movie ,But I hope they show more respect to Chinese in the future,please remember even we were invaded by so many country in the past,but now we are one of the most powerful country in the world.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

But on the other hand, I still don't know why Marvel do these things offend the Chinese, we always love Marvel, and we always has been a Marvel film's biggest overseas market, we contributed more than $600 million at the box office to the Endgame , but now Marvel do these things which really hurt our hearts ,for now, I am still a Marvel fan ,and looking forward to the new spider-man movie ,But I hope they show more respect to Chinese in the future,please remember even we were invaded by so many country in the past,but now we are one of the most powerful country in the world.

The eternals scenes was only one scen get a grip people, as for shang chi idk how it was offending in any way its just a movie people  you take it way too personal.Shang chi had nothing racist or humiliating or even political , it was just a superhero movie with a chinese lead like black panther was with a black person, at the end of the day is just movies.Anyway i wont change your minds and you wont change mind so ...lets move on....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bruce said:

As a Chinese, I have to say that the repute of Marvel online in China is very bad nowadays, too many people think Marvel is humiliating to Chinese,Eternal's Hiroshima atomic bomb problem and Shang-Chi makes too many Chinese feel disgusting and uncomfortable,they think Marvel have no respect for Chinese people,All these things had a big impact on the imported of Spider-Man

What about Venom 2?

17 minutes ago, john2000 said:

The eternals scenes was only one scen get a grip people, as for shang chi idk how it was offending in any way its just a movie people  you take it way too personal.Shang chi had nothing racist or humiliating or even political , it was just a superhero movie with a chinese lead like black panther was with a black person, at the end of the day is just movies.Anyway i wont change your minds and you wont change mind so ...lets move on....

Well,Shang-Chi's problem  is mainly about the comic books,not the movie

But Eternal's problem is really big,please understand why so many Chinese people are so furious about this scene,we fought against Japan in World war II and sacrifice over 35 million people to win the war,but External just take our sacrifice as a joke and even sympathize with the Japanese,that's why we are angry.

Anyway I'm not a radical patriot,like I said,I 'm still a Marvel fan,I just want Marvel to think more about our fellings in the future,,,U•ェ•*U

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bruce said:

But Eternal's problem is really big,please understand why so many Chinese people are so furious about this scene,we fought against Japan in World war II and sacrifice over 35 million people to win the war,but External just take our sacrifice as a joke and even sympathize with the Japanese,that's why we are angry.

Anyway I'm not a radical patriot,like I said,I 'm still a Marvel fan,I just want Marvel to think more about our fellings in the future,,,U•ェ•*U

This is... Just no.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

You have to evolve guys, that was 80 YEARS ago.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LPLC said:

You have to evolve guys, that was 80 YEARS ago.

That maybe the culture difference,our culture told us never forget the history and take history as a mirror ,which will make our country better and stronger.That's why many Chinese people furious about what Marvel doing now,Marvel fanbase is still strong in China for now, we just need more respect,we still love Marvel.

Edited by Bruce

20 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Marvel hasn’t disrespected China. Hyper sensitivity to any perception that doesn’t cast China in some false narrative of greatness is weak AF. I’d rather they forget y’all exist than acquiesce to childish whining.

You clearly do not understand some things about other countrties and nations. America never fought with an enemy on its own soil, never fought for simple existence of the country and its people. Never fought just for survival. Never fought with an enemy who was ready to klll millions of civlilians, Never fought with an enemy who believed that your people are of inferior race or nation. 

China did, Russia did too so some things are sort of sacred for them or at least for a major part of population. The biggest battle of American Civil War had just 8k killed. Japanese in China or Germans in Russia in many occasions killed thousands or even tens of thousands harmless civilians in a single day. Carelessly offend those sentiments or dont care a shit about them "because its just a movie" is stupid and arrogant. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

As a southeast Asia citizen, yes, Mainland Chinese is easily offended by anything to the point that even Winnie the pooh is considered offensive. We call them glass nation and they certainly earned the title. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

You clearly do not understand some things about other countrties and nations. America never fought with an enemy on its own soil, never fought for simple existence of the country and its people. Never fought just for survival. Never fought with an enemy who was ready to klll millions of civlilians, Never fought with an enemy who believed that your people are of inferior race or nation. 

China did, Russia did too so some things are sort of sacred for them or at least for a major part of population. The biggest battle of American Civil War had just 8k killed. Japanese in China or Germans in Russia in many occasions killed thousands or even tens of thousands harmless civilians in a single day. Carelessly offend those sentiments or dont care a shit about them "because its just a movie" is stupid and arrogant. 

Japan didn’t even have as much issue with the Hiroshima Eternals scene as Bruce is saying Chinese zealots do, and the US actually dropped the bomb on them. Being more offended by something that happened to another country than that country is themselves AND trying to make it about yourself (China) when it has nothing to do with you, is the stupid and arrogant thing. Not calling it out.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 2

https://deadline.com/2021/11/disney-hong-kong-simpsons-missing-1234881312/

Just typical example. An episode of The Simpsons during which the family visits Tiananmen Square is missing from Disney+’s Hong Kong platform. Episode 12 of season 16 was found today to be absent from the streamer’s catalogue in the nation, having launched in Hong Kong earlier this month.

The episode features the family going to China to try to adopt a baby. At one point, they visit Tiananmen Square, which was the site of a deadly crackdown in 1989 against democracy protestors. A satirical sign in the cartoon square reads “On this site, in 1989, nothing happened.”

No, this is not a satirical sign, This is blatant insult of chinese government and chinese people (once again at least of the major part of population). Of course they knew about this. Of course they didn care what Chinese think. Arrogant and stupid. And of course events on Tiananmen Square are much more complicated than western propaganda is trying to tell. 

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Japan didn’t even have as much issue with the Hiroshima Eternals scene as Bruce is saying Chinese zealots do, and the US actually dropped the bomb on them. Being more offended by something that happened to another country than that country is themselves AND trying to make it about yourself (China) when it has nothing to do with you, is the stupid and arrogant thing. Not calling it out.

Wow, never expected this. Now, I actually see the reason why CFA regulation are tight. Yes, we are pleasant, less noisy or uncomplaining but that does not mean that public sentiments are not hurted (Remember more than a 1000X) Let's me give you a example if Eternals was actually a Chinese film then you would say "Chinese propaganda", direction is even lower than a average Korean /Japanese movies. West just have two problems : If CCP is providing budget to a film it's Chinese propaganda &Review bombing in every sites so that Oversea Film release regulator will block it's release. First of all, Western media especially the Variety, IndeWire, Deadline , THR.... would placed their critics before International release. When their own country newspaper "The Independent" asked "If TBALC is a Chinese Propaganda, what are Marvels and Bond? American Propaganda?" No response... Pseduo /False reviews for every Asian Film because it's not production of US. Friends, please stop this melodrama. Bruce simply asked not to take advantage of Overseas GA : That they will watch the film if it contain anti-national or anti-cultural scenes. Frankly speaking, no GA actually watched Eternals in my country completely Fan-driven movie (I watched the film because a person in BOT was insisting me much) I do not care what Marvels does, but anti-national elements in film will always be boycotted by me, also will reduce it's fanbase. (This is one of the main reason why it lack legs in Japan)

OK, I understand that many here are Marvel's fan so lots of defense will be coming ahead. I practically only liked Black Widow, Shang Chi was straightly a garbage equilivalent to what you all speak for Venom 2. Continuing digging Chinese films that it is propaganda &at the end get your fandome movie blocked for release in China. At the end, the more hate comments you all pass to Chinese film, the more aggressive step you will witness from CFA & I am 100% sure that no one has practically watched TBALC on Theatres in US