A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't understand the endgame of new film board. They wanted $9B as @Gavin Feng mentioned but are now lagging behind the target but are still fucking films. Like a MCU film is to release next week worldwide and they don't even have a date for it and releasing some film who probably no one care since its out online for months? and wasn't theatrical release anywhere else in world. WTF is wrong with them.

Yes Disney was dumb with shunning them for BW but they lost a film which could have done $100M for them in an otherwise dead July-August they had at box office.

Also frankly its shame Chinese film industry is so incompetent that they can't make run a market of potentially $10-15B for 12 months. Of the entire box office for Chinese industry nearly all of it come from 60 days of CNY, Summer blackout and Golden week in October. Compare that with USA and India, yes there are big months and down months but not like complete dead period for 70% of year.

Do you think china gives a shit. They are killing Alibaba and Tencent and other companies. Do they care if Disney makes money. Plus whatever money the box office does is peanuts compared to overall GDP. If they can screw up their own companies they wont care about hollywood at all. Just for fun they will keep blocking big hollywood blockbusters. 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So Sunday is increasing. Huh. 

Did any new theaters opened? Show count hasn't increased. This could be interesting.

Yeah; seems like it will beat Sat’s figure. As discussed yesterday, this actually happened for a few local films with strong WoM this year.

Bolds well for weekday drops too.

I think it will go pass 400m yuan total easily.

According to Maoyan, there are actually 3000 more showtimes today compared to yesterday, so that helped as well. The weaker openers from Friday all had showtimes cut.

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Monday pre-sales seems to be shaping great. Now the all important whether TUE can grow & WED flat at least.

If so, possibly $120M.

Today looking like at least 60m; 1hr to go. Slowed down quite a bit since tomorrow is working day.

Weekdays really depend on when is end of summer holidays. @Gavin Fengschool starts next week or 1st Sep?

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Today looking like at least 60m; 1hr to go. Slowed down quite a bit since tomorrow is working day.

Weekdays really depend on when is end of summer holidays. @Gavin Fengschool starts next week or 1st Sep?

It depends. Some areas set later date. 

The Tomorrow War is set to debut on Sep.3. 

26 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

It depends. Some areas set later date. 

The Tomorrow War is set to debut on Sep.3. 

Thanks! And 吴君如’s Zero to Hero is set for next Saturday 4th Sep; I heard great things about the movie from friends in Hong Kong coupled with the current paralympics - I think it might surprise with a total of 300-400m yuan despite it being a small budget HK film.

Edited by TigerPaw

7 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I'm starting get nervous about Shang-Chi not getting a release.

Wow. Could they have picked a worse movie?

I can't see why Shang Chi can't have a release date, it's basically just SW Shakespearean family drama mixed with superhero elements and martial arts, it's not controversial as BW