A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

53 minutes ago, Olive said:

Spidey, Caesar and God Nolan will be fighting each other thanks to SARFT.

3 movies will be released in 10 days

God Nolan will do good in Europe and Spidey is already making money OS. Really wanted Caesar to do well in China but seems tough.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

guess Dunkirk is doomed then. A superhero action film should have the advantage over a British war movie

just like guardians having an advantage against a bollywood movie. If I am not wrong Nolan has strong fan base in China. Interstellar broke out huge. Dunkirk being a thriller will play great. Its not a typical war movie. 

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

just like guardians having an advantage against a bollywood movie. If I am not wrong Nolan has strong fan base in China. Interstellar broke out huge. Dunkirk being a thriller will play great. Its not a typical war movie. 

One is a sci fi (Gravity and the Martian did great too) the other a WW2 war movie...hardly similar

Hacksaw Ridge made $60m plus with terrific WOM

On another note..I'm surprised Sony didn't secure a date yet since Wanda co financed the movie (10% stake), I thought it'd give an advantage

Edited by XO21

4 hours ago, peludo said:

Not only Interstellar. Inception ranked #5 in 2010, with 462m Yuan. And by the way, Interstellar ranked #5 too in 2014... China loves Nolan.

Ya. That shows many China audiences have good taste. Contrary to popular belief

• Like 3

TUE

before service charges

DM3  -  46.9m / 518.3m

The House That Never Dies Ⅱ -  13.3m / 160.9m

TF5  -  7.42m / 1,427m

The One  -  6.82m / 82.1m

after service charges

DM3  -  50.3m / 553.4m(-15%)

The House That Never Dies Ⅱ -  14.3m / 171.6m

TF5  -  7.95m / 1,518m

The One  -  7.35m / 87.7m

• Like 8

There are certainly many Nolanites in China, just like in the US. In my circle, 5 folks out of 10 passionately love Nolan, the other 5 wouldn't admit they like Nolan only because they think there are already so many Nolanites that loving Nolan is no long a pretentious thing.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, XO21 said:

One is a sci fi (Gravity and the Martian did great too) the other a WW2 war movie...hardly similar

Hacksaw Ridge made $60m plus with terrific WOM

On another note..I'm surprised Sony didn't secure a date yet since Wanda co financed the movie (10% stake), I thought it'd give an advantage

Spoiler

I am amazed that people are still sprouting this war drama nonsense. Dont all the early reactions/reviews show this as a thriller set across 3 timelines. That's more inception than anything else. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am amazed that people are still sprouting this war drama nonsense. Dont all the early reactions/reviews show this as a thriller set across 3 timelines. That's more inception than anything else. 

I havent read a single twitter reaction. Please edit your post if its a spoiler... haha. Not sure whether what you say is true... but don't tell me.

Edited by TigerPaw

Dunkirk is not really a war drama, so the Hacksaw Ridge comparison seems a little flawed. But $60m would be a great result for Dunkirk in China if it's able to reach that kind of number. TDKR made $50m and TDK made $0 in that market. Every dollar helps when you take big risks. Dunkirk is the riskiest large budget project of Nolan's career. 

4 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Dunkirk is not really a war drama, so the Hacksaw Ridge comparison seems a little flawed. But $60m would be a great result for Dunkirk in China if it's able to reach that kind of number. TDKR made $50m and TDK made $0 in that market. Every dollar helps when you take big risks. Dunkirk is the riskiest large budget project of Nolan's career. 

TDK haven't released in China.Chinese love Nolan since inception.

6 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It is risky that's why I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

Nolan fans are usually stubborn and annoying so. :sweat:

7 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

tdk didn't even get a chance to be released in PRC.