A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

39 minutes ago, FranMan said:

To be honest I'm deriving a smidge of satisfaction at being proved right that TFA would have difficulty in finding a large audience here after being told by non-Chinese that I was off base and TFA will outperform FF7 easily. Because it's Star Wars. It's such a strange feeling as I grew up with Star Wars and I like TFA.  Not to mention it's small time to think that way.

I think you had/have contact with people who were blinded by F7...

I say since ??? = I am happy with all above $83m = SPECTRE (also not good WOM, but at least has an introduced in China franchise), and extatic if it reaches $100m-$150m numbers. I never understood why anyone who looks into the charts for non-introduced movies from US/UK... expected so much more

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I know its a little early, but would you say at least $1B USD worldwide is locked? B)

Honestly I feel that changing the title frm Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One to "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is a bad move, overseas box office at least $200m damage due to title change, lol

I am fairly certain of 1B+. The good WOM in most of the major markets will help prevent that great of a drop. And anyways, its not really that difficult to make 1B WW now. 400m in US will only need 600m OS. It will make probably 130m in China, 80+ in UK, 50+ in Germany, France, Aus, Japan and will have some increase in a few asian countries. Should get to 1B.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think you had/have contact with people who were blinded by F7...

I say since ??? = I am happy with all above $83m = SPECTRE (also not good WOM, but at least has an introduced in China franchise), and extatic if it reaches $100m-$150m numbers. I never understood why anyone who looks into the charts for non-introduced movies from US/UK... expected so much more

To be fair, I haven't seen it from these boards. Everyone's either informed or trying to be. It's mainly the 'and it hasn't opened in China!' crowd who presume Star Wars' universal appeal.

• Like 1

I'm more than happy with everything over $100m, Rogue One will increase the hype in China and other Asian countries, so SW8 will profit from the increasing awareness and WOM, grossing more than $200m, maybe even $300m.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KenterKane said:

Disney made a mistake with the trailers in China, they should've shown all the explosions of the movie in the trailer and repeated at least twice, and more scenes showing the guy from the raid.  

Nah.. people from China don't know The Raid guys. Trust me.. someone posted their photos in Chinese box office tieba to bring out the hype and people either ignore or ask who they are. LOL. Even in Singapore, Msia, Hong Kong.. Taiwan..Thailand.  no one knows those guys.  Perhaps only in Indonesia and a small population in North America heard of those guys.. LOL.

If you think Asians are all the same,  you are fooling yourself. Those are indonesians with no fan base other than their home country.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TommyA10 said:

So you think it will make more domestic than foreign from this point on?? (not counting China of course)

I was just ball parking it. Japans legs will still be good and make for places like SK and Russia. Looks like OS-C is 70m ahead. It will be close

3 hours ago, Giesi said:

I'm more than happy with everything over $100m, Rogue One will increase the hype in China and other Asian countries, so SW8 will profit from the increasing awareness and WOM, grossing more than $200m, maybe even $300m.

Not with this bad WOM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

I was just ball parking it. Japans legs will still be good and make for places like SK and Russia. Looks like OS-C is 70m ahead. It will be close

International more than doubled the domestic take for Monday. ($3.1M compared to $7M international without China).

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

titanic might need to thank China for rescue it......to keep its 2nd all time position WW ~ 

It might thanks its second release for it.

Wasn't it in the $1.8B before its 2012 rerelease ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tupek said:

Not with this bad WOM

4 hours ago, Giesi said:

Fully agree with tupek. In fact, I feel that subsequent viewing online of SW7 will kill SW8. 

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

I sense there is a lot of happiness here with the somewhat under performing of Star Wars.  Is that what happens when something is so big somewhere else but not here?  Do people just like to see the mighty fall?

Personally, I hate films that attempt to milk the audience for all its worth e.g. Harry Potter deathly hallow 1 and 2. More importantly, I feel that they wasted an opportunity to reinvent SW like the Batman series by Christopher Nolan. Hence, to me it really doesn't make sense to support a remake. And for it to break the record of original films i.e. Titanic and Avatar, I am uncomfortable.

• Like 2

I actually thought WB was pretty fair towards the audience in how they handled HP. Other studios would have probably started doing 2 movies per book as early as book 4 or 5 to get some extra cash out of it all. I thought the DH1 & DH2 product was good enough and managed to come off not looking like something made only to cash in a bit further on the franchise.

However, I'm not convinced at all by several movies likely being made out of Fantastic Beats.