A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

17 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I feel like I see more people down on objectively successful runs in this thread more than any other all due to expectations built on pre-sales. 

I knew this was going to happen. Once Aquaman and Venom exploded, Captain Marvel would be expected to do over 250mil usd as well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, a2k said:

It's amazing how close ALITA will end up to CM. ALITA and CM combined should do well below AQM while going over Venom narrowly.

To be honest, I expected Alita to easily beat Captain Marvel way before we had any presales data. It was essentially marketed as a Cameron film, and both Titanic and Avatar had huge success in China. Being a visual CGI extravaganza, I expected a breakout in China with numbers close to Ready Player One. 

Captain Marvel, on the other hand, I did not have huge expectations for before presales. Trailer seemed generic and unlikely to garner excellent WOM like the unique tone of Venom or insane action spectacle of Aquaman. I was only expecting it to finish on par with other solo MCU films, around $100-120 million. I underestimated how much the Endgame connection would boost it, not just in China but everywhere in the world. 

20 minutes ago, john2000 said:

do usually have a good run in china ? indian films ?

There were 2 films over $100m:

Dangal (May 2017): 1.291b Yuan ($192.6m with today ER)

Secret superstar (January 2018): 746.7m Yuan ($111.3m)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, VENOM said:

CM’s second week in China is interesting to see and how it compares to the rest of the worlds second week, lower slower closer?

whats your problem ? (again bc i am not speaking english that well maybe i didnt  understand your comments right)

Edited by john2000
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

whats your problem ? (again bc i am not speaking english that well i could have understand your comments wrong)

Lol. I don’t even know what to say to this.

not everyone is rooting for this film, you have to respect people’s opinion. He is just joking about Capt Marvel’s slogan.

anyway I think WoM among general audiences in a China is definitely weaker than the so called scores on the various ticketing sites.

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Lol. I don’t even know what to say to this.

not everyone is rooting for this film, you have to respect people’s opinion. He is just joking about Capt Marvel’s slogan.

anyway I think WoM among general audiences in a China is definitely weaker than the so called scores on the various ticketing sites.

i SAID that i maybe UNDERSTOOD the comment wrong 

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The best Indian film last year. Don't fail it China.

D1Xg2-sV4AARjQD.jpg:large

Haven't seen the movie but I doubt it will do that well in China. It has no big name attached and it doesn't seem the kind of movie that would play well in China. Dangal/Secret Superstar/Hindi Medium all had strong social themes that resonated strongly with Chinese audiences. 

For those wondering, the actual title of the movie is "Andhadhun"

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

WATCH IT ASAP. It's on Netflix.

Gonna have to put it in the backlog of more than 60-70 Hollywood movies and shows like GoT, Supernatural, Every Marvel Netflix show, Every DC CW show, Black Mirror, 13 reasons why, pretty much every vampire/werewolf series, American Horror Story, American Crime story, every great indian series on netflix/prime. 

This does not even include the many books and games I have on my list waiting.

Yeah it's gonna take me years and years to get through all this :bash:

11 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Gonna have to put it in the backlog of more than 60-70 Hollywood movies and shows like GoT, Supernatural, Every Marvel Netflix show, Every DC CW show, Black Mirror, 13 reasons why, pretty much every vampire/werewolf series, American Horror Story, American Crime story, every great indian series on netflix/prime. 

This does not even include the many books and games I have on my list waiting.

Yeah it's gonna take me years and years to get through all this :bash:

Or you can watch it tonight and thank me at 12:00

Wait. You haven't seen GoT. What have you seen:sparta:

Edited by Charlie Jatinder