SW7: 17.1m/667m crossed 100M USD.
Last Witch Hunter: 11.9m/85.7m
Bonnie Bear: 10.4m/154m
Go Fighting: 8.15m/94.55m
DC:7.4m/740m

is 17.1m correct?

Thats more than yesterday.

4 hours ago, jiangsen said:

THR, Variety, and China Film Insider all post weekly China BO reports. 

I know, but I hope for more articles in general, not only per week/weekend summaries.

Plus more in-depth about the weekends, more ocal details, like they did for the screen counts for SW 7 and so on. Way more back-ground...

Btw, Screendaiyl/Screen International too does them, and BO.com has connections to the account (articles at BO.com too)

Trends in China Film Law & Regulation— looks at what Hollywood should watch in 2016—

Turkish entrepreneur wins over Netflix in China - via

Wanda plans five acquisitions - via

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

IP MAN 3 will open on 103 screens this Friday

That's pathetic. Well Go USA is a lousy distributor.

While Ip Man 3 is a great China-Hong Kong co-produced Film, and can represent Asia to open up the eyes of many foreigners, the truth is that the overseas distributors are pale in comparsion to the film's quality. Well Go USA handles North America distribution, and their website currently has 80+ theaters and 103 screens, despite Mike Tyson being part of the movie...
I was expecting at least 400...Grandmaster(2013) had 800(8months after China release..flopped in US though), Iron Monkey(2001) had 1200+ 8 years after its HK release(1993), Hero(2004) had 1200 screens 2 years after China release(2002). Miramax and Weinstein(same entity actually) are much better distributors. Even The 2 raid movies from Indonesia had 900+ theaters but flopped(Sony Pictures classic).. Ong Bak a Thai Movie had 400 theaters. Lol.

Is this tweet worthy of a celebration? 103 screens..can Ip Man 3 hit 10million USD?

Nordic countries and Europe regions are worse, some are only expecting DVD releases, and only 2 theaters in whole of Ireland. There are people in Helsinki, Finland and in India and all over the world on Facebook and Twitter asking about Ip Man 3's release date.... there is a huge hype but the Distributor is unable to deliver. 

Back to the earlier discussion of how Star Wars penetrated China with over 100m USD in earnings.... now Ip Man 3 is in US, and we can't even expect 10m USD... So Star Wars supporters be glad, because Ip Man 3 is a beloved franchise in Asia, breaking box office records in Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong but the same rules applies as it is not going to do THAT well in US.

• Like 1

I think it's count and results could be far more, if the audience there would be traditionally even be prepared to watch foreign material more.

But in the US there is (so far) no real tradition/culture of dubbing, ... even material out of the UK gets far more often newly filmed than really watched in the cinemas or as a TV-series (not speaking about established franchises out of the far past) = sadly not surprised about the situation.

It seems to get a bit better in some ways, like I think I can't remember e.g. Bollywood movies in the US in the '80 or so (didn't check, only a feeling), but nowadays there is the chance of a movie out of Asia to get some impact, even if very rare.

Exception out of earlier times:

Kurosawa movies to a degree, at least he influenced western film makers, but see Seven Samurai (1956, re-issued 2002), got too newly made, this time as a Western, The Magnificent Seven (1960).

The typical count via China Lion Film is often under 30, mostly 33 at max, so a 100 is better than that, but clearly not enough, hence the reason I posted the tweet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think it's count and results could be far more, if the audience there would be traditionally even be prepared to watch foreign material more.

But in the US there is (so far) no real tradition/culture of dubbing, ... even material out of the UK gets far more often newly filmed than really watched in the cinemas or as a TV-series (not speaking about established franchises out of the far past) = sadly not surprised about the situation.

It seems to get a bit better in some ways, like I think I can't remember e.g. Bollywood movies in the US in the '80 or so (didn't check, only a feeling), but nowadays there is the chance of a movie out of Asia to get some impact, even if very rare.

Exception out of earlier times:

Kurosawa movies to a degree, at least he influenced western film makers, but see Seven Samurai (1956, re-issued 2002), got too newly made, this time as a Western, The Magnificent Seven (1960).

The typical count via China Lion Film is often under 30, mostly 33 at max, so a 100 is better than that, but clearly not enough, hence the reason I posted the tweet.

I would have thought Weinstein would buy over Ip Man 3, and distribute it as if it was Hero, Iron Monkey or The Grandmaster The first 2 films mentioned here have traces of Donnie Yen, while the 3rd is about "Ip Man" also... And its not just about the US release, Weinstein is able to sell and distribute films to Europe regions and make an impact! So I still cannot comprehend why it was sold to a small time distributor which can only apparently get small private cinemas instead' of Chain Theaters, and I thought Wanda owns AMC and that would help the theater counts if all AMC theaters decided to show it... Apparently not. Ip Man 3 has "Bruce Lee" and Mike Tyson, both are Household names in America, while Yen will be in Rogue One: A Star Wars story, their beloved franchise. 103 is just.. .pathetic.

Well Go USA is a better distributor than China Lion imo, at least for the past few movies they have distributed, but now China is pumping in investment into China Lion to hopefully increase the presence of Asian Films in US... but as you can see the films which have broke out in the past are all Martial Arts film and China Lion's film distributions have always been mixed while Well Go USA focuses on Martial Arts films...

PS: These are the theaters showing Ip Man 3 http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/ipman3
A sad list of mostly independent cinemas eg: a theater within  a university.. or a private bar. Lol.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

I wouldn't give a movie I made into Weinstein's hands. Look up e.g. Snowpiercer's backstory. Better starting small and have your own film than let Weinstein's play artists

edit: IMHO it's more about the tradition of not being - from very past times on - used to foreign made material, as 'too alien' even in small details.

Universities,... might be a good way to break those patterns for the future.

But hopefully not the only step be done to do something against that... limitations to sources for material / movies / ...

There is change, see BBC America and.... but IMHO way too slow

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

That's pathetic. Well Go USA is a lousy distributor.

While Ip Man 3 is a great China-Hong Kong co-produced Film, and can represent Asia to open up the eyes of many foreigners, the truth is that the overseas distributors are pale in comparsion to the film's quality. Well Go USA handles North America distribution, and their website currently has 80+ theaters and 103 screens, despite Mike Tyson being part of the movie...
I was expecting at least 400...Grandmaster(2013) had 800(8months after China release..flopped in US though), Iron Monkey(2001) had 1200+ 8 years after its HK release(1993), Hero(2004) had 1200 screens 2 years after China release(2002). Miramax and Weinstein(same entity actually) are much better distributors. Even The 2 raid movies from Indonesia had 900+ theaters but flopped(Sony Pictures classic).. Ong Bak a Thai Movie had 400 theaters. Lol.

Is this tweet worthy of a celebration? 103 screens..can Ip Man 3 hit 10million USD?

Nordic countries and Europe regions are worse, some are only expecting DVD releases, and only 2 theaters in whole of Ireland. There are people in Helsinki, Finland and in India and all over the world on Facebook and Twitter asking about Ip Man 3's release date.... there is a huge hype but the Distributor is unable to deliver. 

Back to the earlier discussion of how Star Wars penetrated China with over 100m USD in earnings.... now Ip Man 3 is in US, and we can't even expect 10m USD... So Star Wars supporters be glad, because Ip Man 3 is a beloved franchise in Asia, breaking box office records in Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong but the same rules applies as it is not going to do THAT well in US.

No one has heard of IP Man over here.  Only reason I've seen the first two is because they were burned.  I'd be shocked it it makes 5 million over here.

55 minutes ago, Baumer said:

No one has heard of IP Man over here.  Only reason I've seen the first two is because they were burned.  I'd be shocked it it makes 5 million over here.

We will see. The only limitation now is screen count. Take a look at the Tweet posted by Star Wars official Instagram account revealing rogue one cast after D23 event, most americans are excited and commented "Ip Man is in Star Wars?". (Really, go scroll through Star War's insta and find it)  (Edit, found it for you, most comments are about Donnie/Ip Man)

My friend who is the creator of MAAC movie website tells me that ALOT of american knows about Ip Man, not exactly mainstream but definitely not unknown and most have seen both 1 and 2 on Netflix. Ip Man 1 and 2 are 2 of the most watched foreign films on Netflix.

If you think Ip Man 3 franchise is not as big as the Raid there..you are wrong. Ip Man 3 Popularity ranking at IMDB was 21...around a month ago, highest for any Asian Movie.  The trailer's popularity was top 3 most watched when it premiered on IMDB, haven't been done by any Asian films.

Even when The Grandmaster was having wide release in 2013(by the Weinstein), google was trending 'Ip Man 2008' and 'Donnie Yen' there.. lol.. ppl watched Grandmaster just to compare to Yen's version. You can go check out Google Trends right now for "Ip Man 2008" and "Donnie Yen", haha, click geographic region "USA".... If it was a wide release, easily 20million USD imo, but since only 100 theaters, 5Million USD might be a barrier.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Baumer said:

@TigerPaw i hope youre right. But with The raid i saw advertising for it. Ive seen nothing for IP. So I just don't see how it breaks out. But I would love to see it find an audience here.

The issue is the distributor, Well Go USA, who is all talk and no action. Weinstein had Grandmasters all over UFC pay per view events for home viewers and posters at the arena, because they know the demographics of MMA fight fans will be interested in a Martial Arts movies. Well Go USA is doing online advertising, which is mostly free, posting trailers online, or getting Donnie Yen and Mike Tyson's official FB page to share the trailer. 

Big risk big reward, just like in investments.. Well Go Usa refuse to invest and promote the movie through offline platforms to reach casual viewers and this is a huge drawback. Look at Well Go USA's Box Office results --> http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=wellgo.htm
It never had a movie grossing over 2millon USD before, pathetic really.  The Grandmaster, The Raid, Ong Bak etc... Martial Arts film in recent years distributed by other firms were all wide release(over 600 theaters according to Mojo) and hence all had huge advertising expense offline, but Well Go USA is approaching Ip Man 3 through online advertising to save costs, and have now only secured 80 theaters across North America and Canada... leadng to it being a limited release.

I have strong faith in Donnie Yen and Ip Man's box office draw in North America, but have serious doubts over Well Go USA's ability to market a film or secure theaters... therefore like you said 5million USD is a barrier.

Haha, back to the topic of China's Box Office!! =) Therefore Star Wars fans reading this thread, really be thankful and glad how Star Wars is performing in China, 120M USD isn't that bad! A beloved franchise from Asia and breaking records in Asian countries may be going to flop and bomb in US this weekend... 

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

Wednesday Estimates

Star Wars - TFA: 16.3M/683M

Last Witch Hunter: 11.3M/96.9M

Boonie Bears III: 10.1M/161M

Go Fighting! Royal Treasure: 7.45M/102M

Detective Chinatown: 7.3M/748M

The Secret: 3.65M/54.54M

Mr. Six: 2.9M/878M

Mojin: 1.5M/665M

Solace: 1.15M/33M

The Republic of Wine: 0.83M/7.05M

Box office holding steady on weekdays thanks to university students off of school this week.

• Like 9

China Insider gives a row of retweets:

In light of recent new "confessions" it's a good time to revisit this piece about Xi as China's "confessor in chief"

79% of American companies say China’s internet restrictions are hurting them

Tech in Asia - Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem

Copyright takedowns in China.

. in ? media studies prof tells it’s complicated