A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Predicted to do 45 million this weekend from gavin is that a good hold? i dont think it can hit 300 million with those numbers . 

I think that's a good thing given the forecast few days back. Anything now is a bonus.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Predicted to do 45 million this weekend from gavin is that a good hold? i dont think it can hit 300 million with those numbers . 

Nobody expected that Aquaman was going to make even $200m in China before it has released,  let alone $300m.

I remember that even 2 days before Aquaman open, I was thinking it would be hard to make $60m OW ($130m total) because  presales were not increasing as expected.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Thats a very good hold for a SH movie in China. That would be a 52% drop which is slightly better than Venom. 

The fact that it will face hardly any big competition is a factor in its hold but it will be a good hold regardless. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Less than $1M for Grinch and Searching combined?

Studios used yearly "slots" to get these two releases?

Crazy Rich Asians was also a big misfire in China and a waste of a release slot. But I guess these studios all expected much higher results.

China - 11/30/18 $1,143,179 70.4% $1,623,336 12/9/18

49 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

22 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

OW should be on par with Small-foot based on presales, $4M or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

These were the only movies they could use. Since it's almost blackout for foreign films, it seems like the Chinese government wanted to choose films that would not do well in the Chinese market to be released around the time. It is the same reason why Aquaman released in December instead of Bumblebee. They thought the former would do really bad in China and wouldn't interfere with the other movies.

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Thats a very good hold for a SH movie in China. That would be a 52% drop which is slightly better than Venom. 

The fact that it will face hardly any big competition is a factor in its hold but it will be a good hold regardless. 

I missed seeing your posts about box office numbers in this thread.

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

My money is on $50m+ 2nd W/E

Wow. That's amazing.

5 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I missed seeing your posts about box office numbers in this thread.

Wow. That's amazing.

I usually tend not to post a lot about a movie beyond the presales and OW (except if the movie is Infinity War or something 😜). To give a recent example, I dont think I posted a single time about AM2’s numbers beyond the OW. Pretty much the same for MI6. 

I am just waiting right now for Bumblebee’s PS to start. TF franchise is huge in China and Bumblebee ‘s ratings are great as it is. It promises to be a big movie so following PS should be fun

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

he's off on that. they should do $2-4m each

Aq Th PS at 8.4m.  Friday at 4.5m, looking good for 50% bump

2000 pages on friday

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

I usually tend not to post a lot about a movie beyond the presales and OW (except if the movie is Infinity War or something 😜). To give a recent example, I dont think I posted a single time about AM2’s numbers beyond the OW. Pretty much the same for MI6. 

I am just waiting right now for Bumblebee’s PS to start. TF franchise is huge in China and Bumblebee ‘s ratings are great as it is. It promises to be a big movie so following PS should be fun

You posted that twice by mistake 

14 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah slow internet so impatient me smashing that refresh button 😝. Edited it now

I used to have slow internet long time ago when I was a kid and Yahoo chat was something new on internet. We used to have modem and 24 Kbps to 32 Kbps was best speed for us. Damn I miss those days. 

5 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I used to have slow internet long time ago when I was a kid and Yahoo chat was something new on internet. We used to have modem and 24 Kbps to 32 Kbps was best speed for us. Damn I miss those days. 

Today and yesterday I had atypical too a slow internet, it's not always the general system in the area 😉