A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

9 minutes ago, druv10 said:

But it's having insane jumps. It doubled Venom's jump on Sat 35% vs 70% and Sund hold was substantially better 16% vs 26% and remember Venom was a phenomenon in China. 

People forgot about this it seems also the weather most likely having a affect as well. 

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

But it's having insane jumps. It doubled Venom's jump on Sat 35% vs 70% and Sund hold was substantially better 16% vs 26% and remember Venom was a phenomenon in China. 

Yeah I did say it has an amazing performance right? It was more to people who expected coco crazy run (but animation is a totaly diffirent genre and they have a much lower OD/OW's).

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

Yeah I did say it has an amazing performance right? It was more to people who expected coco crazy run (but animation is a totaly diffirent genre and they have a much lower OD/OW's).

People must be crazy to expect Coco, Zootopia or Dangal type of run. Those movies were slow burn, slowly building through WOM which was not the case with Venom or Aquaman. If Aquaman had former type of run, it would be looking at well over $500M which isn't feasible. 

4 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

With the crumbling weekday holds and the first RT review being rotten, I think the so-called hype around Aquaman is just some kind of delusion. 

I hereby give you all my prediction for this movie:    OW/DOM/WW  = 60/120/500

I had high hopes for this movie. But it turns out to be just another beautiful lie. So disappointing.

Uh oh he’s back.

His prediction shows how little he understands box office. 

A 2x multiplier in December 😂😂 screaming lol.

You didnt have high hopes for this movie. Don’t lie. You hate everything WB does lately.

It’s already a hit with records broken in china, so you’re wasting your time. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YSLDC said:

Can it Still reach $300M?

Doubtful but as @fmpro said, anything can happen.  

Vm had 33% of shows its second Friday, Aq will have 40%.  It could have a bigger bump and even up in the dailies. It also will make an extra $10m due to XMAS and NYs.  I would say beating Vm is still in play but it will have to bump 50% Fri and 105% Sat

Keep your goal at $250m which is double most SH movies and expectations a week before release and the rest is gravy on top.  

Its on course for 62m -15%

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, druv10 said:

People must be crazy to expect Coco, Zootopia or Dangal type of run. Those movies were slow burn, slowly building through WOM which was not the case with Venom or Aquaman. If Aquaman had former type of run, it would be looking at well over $500M which isn't feasible. 

Zoo and Dangal had small OD's.  No one was expecting a run like their's where dailies go up during the week.  A front loaded sequel with huge hype drops 17-20% these days with great ratings.

Vm held -11% on Tues because it was not a sequel and the WoM got extra people to go see it.

It was logical that AQ with a smaller OD, a better rating and better daily holds thru Monday would hold better than Vm.  Not bump like Zoo but maybe -5%.  

Expectations were not inflated, just going by historical trajectories. It deviated or early december freezing temps are keeping people home

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Doubtful but as @fmpro said, anything can happen.  

Vm had 33% of shows its second Friday, Aq will have 40%.  It could have a bigger bump and even up in the dailies. It also will make an extra $10m due to XMAS and NYs.  I would say beating Vm is still in play but it will have to bump 50% Fri and 105% Sat

Keep your goal at $250m which is double most SH movies and expectations a week before release and the rest is gravy on top.  

Its on course for 62m -15%

I agree with around 62m 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If Aquaman does great...it might get an extended run in China, i hope.

An extension for Aq would mean next to nothing. 1-2 mill $ Max

What happens this weekend means 1000x more. We need a 50%+ bump on friday as @POTUS said to have a fair chance of reaching Venom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

>62 would be great. Even with a small Fri bump, $250 / 1725 looks very likely imo

63 (-14%)

54 (-14%) Thu

= 930 7-day

65 (+20%) Fri

130 (+100%) Sat

110 (-15%) Sun

= 305 2nd weekend; 1235 10-day

Just 490 away from 1725 / $250 total.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, a2k said:

>62 would be great. Even with a small Fri bump, $250 / 1725 looks very likely imo

63 (-14%)

54 (-14%) Thu

= 930 7-day

65 (+20%) Fri

130 (+100%) Sat

110 (-15%) Sun

= 305 2nd weekend; 1235 10-day

Just 490 away from 1725 / $250 total.

Maoyan still think it will make 1.74B yuan, with Friday making 77.7M/+45%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3