A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I didn't think it could fall more than 10% after the daily holds it had thru monday.

If its more GA friendly then Vm and the 9.5 rating is holding, WoM should still be spreading and holding the BO up

could be weather. Im not revising projections until I see Fri/Sat bump.  I've seen this roller coaster before.

$300m projected one day, $220m the next and then back to $300m. Surprise, disappointment and get ready to be surprised again

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Color09 said:

You’re joking right?

1) Bumblebee, Spider-verse , Mary Poppins Returns are all getting stellar reviews. They are all threatening Aquaman

2) With such weak weekday holds, the china 300m pipe dream is dead. Bury it.

3) Review-wise: The first one on RT is already rotten. I didn't lie. You can check it out yourself. By the way I have already known there are gonna be a number of mixed to negative reviews as well. 

Based on these, I think my prediction is reasonable.

• Knock It Off 1

Don't mind Kevin, he is still in shock after this opening. :Venom:

Anyway, this is a box office forum. At the moment, one objective for Aquaman is to overtake Venom and become the #2 superhero movie, #1 solo. From this point of view, I feel it is fine to call one day "disappointing" without having to write every time the obligatory disclaimer: yes Aquaman is still doing great, much better than expected, it has amazing WoM, James Wan is a god etc...

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Maoyan has revised down estimates again. Let’s hope the weather gets better and it gets a strong 2nd weekend...

What is their current estimate?

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

Couldn't find any reviews on RT.

Either way I got 4 IMAX 3D tickets for Thurs night (opening night in Singapore), and will watch in 2D on Friday night with another group of friends. Instead of worrying about the box office, I will do my part to contribute to it. Cheers!

• Like 2

I really don't think American audiences might embrace AQM as much as China did. I think there is a huge cultural difference in tastes here, just look at Warcraft as an example. Also the latest batch of reactions from critics have been luke warm. 

10 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

There was one weird "review" from a racist reviewer on Little White Lies but it was removed. 

Not sure whether "removed" is the word. I think RT site accidentally lifted the embargo early. So they have now hidden that review.. pretty sure it will show up later once the embargo is truly lifted.

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I really don't think American audiences might embrace AQM as much as China did. I think there is a huge cultural difference in tastes here, just look at Warcraft as an example. Also the latest batch of reactions from critics have been luke warm. 

DMan7! MY MAN !   (I think I already told you I like your insights on superhero movies !)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Its still predicted to do 60m which i think goes higher with decent reviews. 

It still does 200m at least in American i think.

I dont think Transformers or Spiderman do that well there. 

15 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Thanks for clarification. Otherwise everyone thought I was lying because I didn't screencap that. 

Still you were being overly dramatic it seems, no one really expects amazing reviews for this but you went off the deep end at one review.

Yesterday a review from Guardian was leaked which was 4/5 stars, its going to be a mixed reviewed film which is on the positive side i hope. 

Edited by Wotad
  • Like 1

I can understand why people are dissapointed in the fact that with an 9.5 score (Honestly insane!!) it doesn't go on to a mega insane increase run like other genre movies with a less big start do. But man the set aside other genre movies with a 9.5 score and this is doing insane numbers and drops for SH movies. Aquaman doing 200m + was crazy 1 month ago. Objectively speaking this is doing amazing (unless you bet on AqM doing 1B ww, because then it could use and out of the world run in China).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I can understand why people are dissapointed in the fact that with an 9.5 score (Honestly insane!!) it doesn't go on to a mega insane increase run like other genre movies with a less big start do. But man the set aside other genre movies with a 9.5 score and this is doing insane numbers and drops for SH movies. Aquaman doing 200m + was crazy 1 month ago. Objectively speaking this is doing amazing (unless you bet on AqM doing 1B ww, because then it could use and out of the world run in China).

But it's having insane jumps. It doubled Venom's jump on Sat 35% vs 70% and Sund hold was substantially better 16% vs 26% and remember Venom was a phenomenon in China. 

• Like 1