A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

New realistic movie to hit Chinese cinemas

Director Wen Muye's second feature film "Nice View" is slated for national release on February 1, Chinese New Year's Day.

The highly anticipated film produced by veteran filmmaker Ning Hao renews his collaboration with Wen after their critically acclaimed 2018 film "Dying to Survive," a dark horse of Chinese cinema for its comedic and realistic elements.

"Nice View," which stars Yi Yangqianxi, Wang Chuanjun and Yong Mei, will largely retain the style and provide insights into the lives and emotions of ordinary people.

Set in Shenzhen, the film is centered on the hard but heart-warming lives of 20-year-old Jing Hao and his young sister. With effort and perseverance, Jing manages to shoulder the responsibilities and give his family a better life.

The lead role is played by Yi, known for his performance in the costume drama series "The Longest Day in Chang'an" and youth movie "Better Days."

Wen said they hope the film conveys the message that miracles can happen to everybody who is working hard.

"In the film, audiences will be impressed by how the characters face up to the difficulties in life and never give up," said the director.

The film will be in Chinese with English subtitles.

https://www.shine.cn/feature/entertainment/2201070523/

• Thanks 1

I have watched it. It's incredible unless CGI messed up some scenes. Also some cuts could have been made. Almost 3-hrs runtime is too long. Comfortably should be around 2 hrs or 2H 10M

Rating it as 4/5 

I remembered one line "From Mau : I really do not want to fight this war but for the future &decades/centuries of upcoming generations."

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

I have done some work on first five weekend top 10 gross of all time in China

Biggest Opening Weekend:

1 Decetive Chinatown 3 --2579m

2.The fate of the furious --1352m

3.The Battle at Lake ChangJin--1322m

4.Avengers:Infinity War--1272m

5.The Wandering Earth--1219m(full open week 1800m+)

6.Monster Hunter2 --1204m

7.Avengers:Endgame--1185m(Endgame Open on Wednesday,the full opening week was 2200m+)

8.Hi,Mom--1050m

9.Dying to Survive--1013m

10.Wolf Warrior 2--997m

Biggest Second Weekend:

1.Wolf Warrior 2--1099m

2.Ne Zha--881m

3.Hi,Mom--872m

4.The Battle at Lake Changjin--700m

5.Operation Red Sea--677m

6.The Wandering Earth--607m

7.Ex file 3--566m

8.Furious 7--561m

9.Decetive Chinatown 2--508m

10.The Eight Hundred--492m

Biggest Third Weekend

1.Wolf Warrior 2--570m

2.Ne Zha--474m

3.The Battle at Lake ChangJin--463m

4.Operation Red Sea--395m

5.Hi,Mom--345m

6.Zootopia--241m

7.Dangel--236m

8.The Wandering Earth--234m

9.Coco--230m

10.Furious 7--222m

Biggest 4th Weekend

1.Ne Zha--291m

2.Wold Warrior 2--243m

3.The Battle at Lake Changjin--206m

4.Furious 7--176m

5.Operation Red Sea--150m

6.Hi,Mom--148m

7.The Eight Hunderd--146m

8.Monster Hunt--118m

9.Coco--113m

10.Zootopia--112m

Biggest 5th Weekend

1.Ne Zha-167m

2.The Battle at Lake ChangJin--127m

3.The Eight Hundred--121m

4.Wolf Warrior 2--109m

5.Zootopia--84m

6.Hi,Mom--78m

7.Monster Hunt--76m

8.Operation Red Sea--73m

9.Dangel--63m

10.Furious 7--57m

Edited by Bruce
  • Thanks 2

Biggest of biggest OW is ready to be slashed!!!

Personally Expectation:

OW : $300M

C.T. : $1.2B

304K+ awaiting (via Maoyan)

watergate.png

Douban https://movie.douban.com/subject/35613853/

Maoyan https://www.maoyan.com/films/1446115

Spoiler

Where there is Xieh Tie, there is always a good news. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Will the film be released in 2 weeks for the Spring Festival ?

Release date : 01/02/2022 (Tues)

Like the previous film, it will certainly run for 3-months. &will end some-times in May 2022.

BTW, The Battle At Lake Changjin is still running in limited location:

Today up to 18:00 CST (Thurs) : ¥56.2K /¥5775.06M

Edited by Issac Newton
56.2K not 5.62K

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Release date : 01/02/2022 (Tues)

Like the previous film, it will certainly run for 3-months. &will end some-times in May 2022.

BTW, The Battle At Lake Changjin is still running in limited location:

Today up to 18:00 CST (Thurs) : ¥56.2K /¥5775.06M

But yes, TBALC was released not even 3 months ago and the sequel is already coming in 2 weeks ? It's fast, I hope the fact that it is so fast is not going to be too much for the Chinese people.

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

But yes, TBALC was released not even 3 months ago and the sequel is already coming in 2 weeks ? It's fast, I hope the fact that it is so fast is not going to be too much for the Chinese people.

Um. I don't see this as a serious problem because Sequel was in post-production. 

Other than the difference between Matrix 2 &3 was less than 6-months.

But, whatever might be the case. This lunar New Year box office will be interesting to watch. 🌼

• Like 1

I compare all individual Weekend top 10 for China and DOM

If we compare biggest opening weekend,Decetive Chinatown is Bigger than Avengers Endgame【400m vs 357m

And for the Biggest Second Weekend,Wolf Warrior 2 is bigger than DOM's Biggest Second grosser Star Wars:TFA【160m vs 149m】

But for the third weekend,it's almost equal【WW2 China third weekend:89m,SW:TFA:90.4m】

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I compare all individual Weekend top 10 for China and DOM

If we compare biggest opening weekend,Decetive Chinatown is Bigger than Avengers Endgame【400m vs 357m

And for the Biggest Second Weekend,Wolf Warrior 2 is bigger than DOM's Biggest Second grosser Star Wars:TFA【160m vs 149m】

But for the third weekend,it's almost equal【WW2 China third weekend:89m,SW:TFA:90.4m】

I see hard those late records (3rd weekend and beyond) can be beaten for any Chinese film unless it is that kind of run (each time more uncommon) with superb legs as there used to be some years ago.

On the other hand, I see impossible that DOM market can recover the OW record again. Chinese films can be even more frontloaded than in USA (DC3 did not reach x2 multiplier). I will not be surprised if we see a $500m OW soon from China and unless DC and Marvel make a crossover, I do not see any film with that potential in USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

On the other hand, I see impossible that DOM market can recover the OW record again. Chinese films can be even more frontloaded than in USA (DC3 did not reach x2 multiplier). I will not be surprised if we see a $500m OW soon from China and unless DC and Marvel make a crossover, I do not see any film with that potential in USA.

I agree with you. DOM do not have the potential to cross $400M at present. Even, if it manage it ends up with worse legs. See A:EG &TFA OW (difference in OW is more than $100M but A:EG could not defeat TFA). In future, I think unless there's any hyped movie like A:EG, I am determined to say that DOM can never win OW from Mainland. &In Mainland, film take advantage of holidays to make new records.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peludo said:

I see hard those late records (3rd weekend and beyond) can be beaten for any Chinese film unless it is that kind of run (each time more uncommon) with superb legs as there used to be some years ago.

The following weekend record hard to beat mainly because Titanic and Avatar have a ridiculous run in DOM,far better than any other films in both Chinese and Dom market .

Without Titanic and Avatar,most of Chinese film have a better run than DOM recent 10 years movie,Frozen ,Black Panther and  Jumanji's run will be the most impressive run in the last 10 years DOM market,but they can't compare with Zootopia,Dangel,Nezha ,Coco,Wolf Warrior 2 in China.

Chinese 4th Weekend King NeZha【$46.7m】 is bigger than TFA(second highest grosser 4th weekend in US) ,$42.35m,just $4m short for Avatar (4th weekend king in DOM)【50m】,not so long.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I agree with you. DOM do not have the potential to cross $400M at present. Even, if it manage it ends up with worse legs. See A:EG &TFA OW (difference in OW is more than $100M but A:EG could not defeat TFA). In future, I think unless there's any hyped movie like A:EG, I am determined to say that DOM can never win OW from Mainland. &In Mainland, film take advantage of holidays to make new records.

TBALC 2 this year easily open $450m+,even more .

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1