A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

16 minutes ago, LPLC said:

I just try to understand why they release that and not NWH

There can be n reasons which have already been debated here:

Maybe China does not want nothing coming from Western countries that can beat their products? I do not see any Chinese film being released in +4,000 theaters in USA either and nobody complains about that. To release a Woody Allen film, which btw is a quite good film, is not a menace to the local BO. At the end, China is fighting with USA to be the biggest economy in the world.

On the other hand and asuming that it is obvious that in China there is demand about Marvel products, sometimes I think here people forget that China is an authoritarian regime. Censorship is not new. Maybe from now everything that comes from Marvel will be banned because they signed Chloé Zhao for Eternals. Who knows?

The fact is that it seems highly unlikely it can be released. At very least not in optimal conditions to make the money what would have been expected.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

I do not see any Chinese film being released in +4,000 theaters in USA either and nobody complains about that.

This is a fallacy. Nothing is stopping a Chinese film from releasing in the US like that, except for the fact that it wouldn’t make sense business wise because there isn’t that level of interest in Chinese films in the US. That’s not the case with something NWH in China, which would make hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Like 10

@peludo, What if Wolf Warrior 2 &800 get release in USA by Disney in 4000+ theatres? I think CFA will overturn the ban if some $50M-$100M are coming from US. However, a Chinese Distributor doesn't seem to be interested in wide release. They just try to attract Chinese Diaspora, &I hate that release strategy.

(Just Curious) I want to know What Chinese Film (according to you) can attract a lot of crowds from US?

9 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

This is a fallacy. Nothing is stopping a Chinese film from releasing in the US like that, except for the fact that it wouldn’t make sense business wise because there isn’t that level of interest in Chinese films in the US. That’s not the case with something NWH in China, which would make hundreds of millions of dollars.

I wouldn't called it fallacy. But, if films like Wolf Warrior 2, 800 or let's say Hi Mom earn something like $300M in US. I think it's like each country are supporting each other work. Regardlessly, everything at start, earns low but film like DC3 &Hi Mom can grow if marketed well in US

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I wouldn't called it fallacy. But, if films like Wolf Warrior 2, 800 or let's say Hi Mom earn something like $300M in US. I think it's like each country are supporting each other work. Regardlessly, everything at start, earns low but film like DC3 &Hi Mom can grow if marketed well in US

That isn’t going to happen because the interest isn’t their. Even Demon Slayer, which is a huge global anime, only did $50M DOM. There’s nothing from China that would currently interest the domestic market outside of maybe, $10M max. The point is, nothing is stopping it apart from interest in the films. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

That isn’t going to happen because the interest isn’t their. Even Demon Slayer, which is a huge global anime, only did $50M DOM. There’s nothing from China that would currently interest the domestic market outside of maybe, $10M max. The point is, nothing is stopping it apart from interest in the films. 

I understand that they specifically target Chinese Diaspora. But, if Overseas distribution are handled by Sony, Warner or Disney then it can add some million rather than thousand. 

In terms of Box office, Anime like DS aren't popular any more now like Pokemon 1999. &I think in future, Market will dimished or limit itself to fan screenings &events. Indeed, popular director works like Shinkai &Miyazaki didn't earn much. I wish if we could break $100M in US but I think we don't have that type of film potential of breaking $100M.

18 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

@peludo, What if Wolf Warrior 2 &800 get release in USA by Disney in 4000+ theatres? I think CFA will overturn the ban if some $50M-$100M are coming from US. However, a Chinese Distributor doesn't seem to be interested in wide release. They just try to attract Chinese Diaspora, &I hate that release strategy.

(Just Curious) I want to know What Chinese Film (according to you) can attract a lot of crowds from US?

I do not know if a lot of crowds, but films like The Wandering Earth could have a chance with a more or less wide release. Of course, TWE is really far from being a masterpiece, but I have seen worse sci-fi films coming from USA being released in 300 or 400 theaters in Spain (equivalent to 3,000-4,000 theaters DOM) making mediocre amounts. Of course, I am conscious that USA and their stars are a way better reclaim for a film than unknown Chinese actors.

Or maybe Hi, mom. It only has 4 critics in RT, but the 4 are fresh, including from Variety. Maybe if they had tried not a wide but an average release they could have surprised... I do not know, just theories...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

The answer is simple - none. US audiences despise subtitles for whatever reason. So you would need a movie in English, starring a well known actor like Jackie Chan with maybe an American actor alongside and add in some comedy and some action. Basically what I'm saying is make Rush Hour 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

I understand that they specifically target Chinese Diaspora. But, if Overseas distribution are handled by Sony, Warner or Disney then it can add some million rather than thousand. 

In terms of Box office, Anime like DS aren't popular any more now like Pokemon 1999. &I think in future, Market will dimished or limit itself to fan screenings &events. Indeed, popular director works like Shinkai &Miyazaki didn't earn much. I wish if we could break $100M in US but I think we don't have that type of film potential of breaking $100M.

To get hits outside of China first and foremost they need to make movies people outside of China actually want to see. Even if Sony/Warner/Disney handled the distribution it'd mean nothing if the movie themselves simply don't have the appeal to get those numbers.

The only reason those movies don't get big distribution (or even distribution at all) is that it makes no sense from a commercial standpoint. It has nothing to do with the reason hollywood movies aren't getting distributed in China.

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The answer is simple - none. US audiences despise subtitles for whatever reason. So you would need a movie in English, starring a well known actor like Jackie Chan with maybe an American actor alongside and add in some comedy and some action. Basically what I'm saying is make Rush Hour 4.

Just a question: every film is released in original version in USA/Canada at theaters? In that case, I regret what I said at the beginning about those massive releases in USA. It is hard to sell something massively in a different language than yours, even if it is subtitled.

In Spain, EVERY FILM is dubbed and just a bunch of showtimes are shown in original version. Sadly, very few people want to see here movies with original voices. Many people say: "I love that actor or actress". But the fact is that they have never heard their real voices...

• Sad 1

I will never support this mindset of, "It's Ok that they let our films release after six-months!"

It's not OK. Just because we have become used to something like that and simply because we have have become accustomed to see something happen on regular basis doesn't make it right.

Let's not even talk about some films like Endgame and No Way Home, which really don't need China in long run (if ain't to make 'em look glorious).

Let's ONLY talk about small Indie films. Six months-two years is lots of time. We are talking about People working in Industry and not just some "NUMBERS" in data-books of Studios. I mean six month-one year is enough for Director/Producer/Actor to be declared flop and make them lose other work and contracts, when in many cases a tiny few million boost from country like China would have helped them retain it. China can definitely help save hundreds of great little small films with tight budgets that are failing to make it in their Home country and were to doom.

Films like Licorice Pizza are the one should not be held back, if they can & should release on same day as other part of worlds, they should be allowed in Mainland too. Holding back in world's biggest market is and in the world of Internet where a movie download takes few seconds - is sin. It's them that need the financial support and delaying a year later, just fills the coffers of Studio - and mind you the parent studio who owned 'em. Tiny 10m-30m bump from China can help it recover losses and boost the morale of Indie film industry as whole.  These $20m-$30m budget movies from small studios needs it more but always get's it last. 

Same is for Indian Films and Japanese films.

Major Producers don't need China. 'Dangal' didn't need to earn a single dime in China, it was already a superhit in India. Yes, It made lotsa money. But some films that really needed Chinese release got it so late that - producer went bankrupt, director went out of Job and Actor became B-lister.

Also, China isn't Piracy proof like Japan.

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 10

18 hours ago, grim22 said:

It's been over 20 years since a subbed film passed the 100m mark in the US, and the closest anything has gotten since then is around $50m. 

The only place I've seen a Chinese film with a decent sized audience is in Leicester Square in London, because Chinatown is right next to it. But The Eight Hundred in my local IMAX had 5 people including myself. 

2022 Chinese New Year Pre-sales (so far)

1️⃣ Water Gate Bridge : ¥9.95M

2️⃣ Nice View : ¥4.73M

3️⃣ Too Cool To Kill : ¥3.45M

4️⃣ Only Fools Rush in : ¥2.66M

5️⃣ Sniper : ¥1.92M

Spoiler

I missed the exact time when it started? is it 3 hrs or 4 hrs?😓

Edited by Issac Newton

15 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

2022 Chinese New Year Pre-sales (so far)

1️⃣ Water Gate Bridge : ¥9.95M

2️⃣ Nice View : ¥4.73M

3️⃣ Too Cool To Kill : ¥3.45M

4️⃣ Only Fools Rush in : ¥2.66M

5️⃣ Sniper : ¥1.92M

Hide contents

I missed the exact time when it started? is it 3 hrs or 4 hrs?😓

I have seen it about nearly 5 hours ago, but I do not know the exact time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's been over 20 years since a subbed film passed the 100m mark in the US, and the closest anything has gotten since then is around $50m. 

The only place I've seen a Chinese film with a decent sized audience is in Leicester Square in London, because Chinatown is right next to it. But The Eight Hundred in my local IMAX had 5 people including myself. 

If you are thinking of Crouching Tiger, I think it was a dubbed version which released in the US.