A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

exchange rates problem, not Chinese number, which is good. This is not a disappointment. It is what was expected, 5 million more or less.

But finale boost was not as much as what I thought was possible. Even on the release weekend when dollar was already very strong we were predicting 750m. Actually after its OW people were even predicting 800M despite knowing dollar strength. But its OS legs were just ok. No different from domestic where it got no finale boost.

But finale boost was not as much as what I thought was possible. Even on the release weekend when dollar was already very strong we were predicting 750m. Actually after its OW people were even predicting 800M despite knowing dollar strength. But its OS legs were just ok. No different from domestic where it got no finale boost.

Overprediction. And again, this is the biggest OS film of the trilogy. With July exchange rates it would have finished with about $770-780m OS. There have been boost but bad luck too. That's all.
  • Like 3

I wonder what Return of the King would have done in the modern Chinese BO...

Good question... I guess that every Harry Potter and LOTR movie would had done over $150m, maybe bordering $200m. But ROTK did "just" $10m, biggest Hollywod release of 2004.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/678-china-box-office-the-hobbittbotfa-13mopening-day/page-188#entry463699

....I dont see the connection.

Meaning Hobbit's "big" opening day gross is just like any other day in the life of American Sniper right now. That film is currently crapping out bucket loads of money whatever the day. Seems to be doing those sort of numbers in the US everyday right now. Anyway, nevermind :D.

Hopefully Hobbit has a decent increase Saturday.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 2

Friday numbers

BOFA 93M(including 4.7M midnights)/$14.9M

Miss Granny  9M, 296M/$47.5M

NATM3  4.3M  288M/$46.3M

Seventh Son 3.9M, 156M/$25.1M

AUJ  36.5m - 118m - 312m

DOS 57.5M - 200M -464M

BOFA 93m -? -?

DOS F-S-S:57.5M-80.4M-62.0M

• Like 5