A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

James why are you baising so hard on Cindrella?

Cause honestly I support maleficient the hole run, but I saw the movie and I didn't liked it. I loved angelina but the movie was meh at best.

With this movie I have more hope (at least it got decend reviews)

That's bad. Piracy will kill the movie if it doesn't get an earlier release date than the US. :wacko:

No Marvel movie has ever opened in China before the U.S. I guess Thor 2 and Winter Soldier were technically earlier because they were day-and-date with the U.S. and China is ~12 hours ahead—but then (like nearly all Marvel movies) the U.S. got those later than most markets, so it's not as if there weren't plenty of earlier opportunities for piracy. In any case the only pirated copies likely to be circulating by the 12th will be cam rips. It sucks for Marvel that they'll be missing the holiday, but that was completely expected. I am a bit surprised they couldn't manage anything better than a Tuesday.

Edited by Bob Violence

Friday actuals

Cinderella  35.1M OD with midnights

BH6  17.3M/341M

JA 12.5M/213M

M2   7.8M/923M

Cinderella will have a very good increase today.

Disney is taking like 50% of the box office share this weekend with these two...JA fading rather quickly...

No Marvel movie has ever opened in China before the U.S. I guess Thor 2 and Winter Soldier were technically earlier because they were day-and-date with the U.S. and China is ~12 hours ahead—but then (like nearly all Marvel movies) the U.S. got those later than most markets, so it's not as if there weren't plenty of earlier opportunities for piracy. In any case the only pirated copies likely to be circulating by the 12th will be cam rips. It sucks for Marvel that they'll be missing the holiday, but that was completely expected. I am a bit surprised they couldn't manage anything better than a Tuesday.

Was debating which was worse, FF7 opening on a Sunday or this on a Tuesday...got to say this one wins hands down.  Pretty obvious hand though with the government there, opening these two hotly anticipated sequels on odd days of the week and both conveniently missing day-and-date with the US.

Seems Dreamworks' "Home" is also accepted for release, but no release dates yet...can't imagine it doing well to open either after FF7 or AAoU...also I have to imagine that WB must have sent in "Run All Night" and Sony with "Chappie", there seems to be a backlog of no news building up?

Saturday(March 14th) estimates
#/Title: Daily(yuan)~Total(yuan)~Total($)
1.Cinderella: 61.8M ~97M~$15.5m (+75% from Friday)
2.Big hero 6: 38M~379M~$60.5m (On par with its opening Saturday)
3.Jupiter Ascending: 21.8M ~235M~$37.5m (-62% from OD)
4.Macau 2: 12.7M~935M~$149.4M
5.Wolf Totem: 9.8m~667m~$106.4m 
6.Paddington: 7.8M ~72.4M~$11.6m 
7.Dragon Blade: 3.0m~733m~$117m

*USD total based on current exchange rate
  • Like 16

Wow wow wee wow, that's a big leap from Friday!

great number for BH6! it will surprass Japan as it's best intenational market! it will be at $65 as of Sunday, so $80 is going to be made over here (maybe even more).

Cindirella did great also, it will open higher than Maleficient (an acomplishment over here i think) $60 is possible

• Like 1

BH6 ratings:

8.7/10 on Douban.com

99% liked ratio on Wanda cinemas APP

9.6/10 on Maoyan's APP

9.4/10 on Gewara.com

Reminds me of the tenacity of The Croods a couple of years back, struck a nerve with the audience and WOM just keeping it going...

Pretty incredible that it's 3rd Saturday is on par with it's first and with less showtimes.

• Like 1