baumer

Weekend #s Bond 90M Lincoln 900K Ralph Flight good holds

7 6 Cloud Atlas WB $2,525,000 -53.1%

I was hoping after last weekend's 44% drop that it could possibly have good legs and finish above 30m but now it looks like that's not going to happen :( Dammit America, give this movie a chance. Hopefully the rest of the OS markets will be like Russia and it will make like 270m OS.

• Like 3

I am really surprised with Taken 2 legs...its a movie which looks like majority of audience have hated it..still the legs have been pretty good somehow.Great opening for Skyfall

That's the thing, the whole "Audiences didn't like Taken 2" is a internet myth. Audiences liked it but they also admit it was a step down from part 1 but they still enjoyed it and will be right back for Taken 3. Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

7 6 Cloud Atlas WB $2,525,000 -53.1%

I was hoping after last weekend's 44% drop that it could possibly have good legs and finish above 30m but now it looks like that's not going to happen :( Dammit America, give this movie a chance. Hopefully the rest of the OS markets will be like Russia and it will make like 270m OS.

I don't want to call American audiences dumb but I do think this movie went over a lot of people's heads and will find strong life on DVD and TV in the future. To me it was ahead of it's time and I'm sure people in the future will be asking why audiences slept on such an amazing film.

That's the thing, the whole "Audiences didn't like Taken 2" is a internet myth. Audiences liked it but they also admit it was a step down from part 1 but they still enjoyed it and will be right back for Taken 3.

well I think if Taken 3 ends up being more of the same I think audiences might get annoyed then. I think it is a case of "OK this is good enough for now , but next time you better step up the game"

I don't want to call American audiences dumb but I do think this movie went over a lot of people's heads and will find strong life on DVD and TV in the future. To me it was ahead of it's time and I'm sure people in the future will be asking why audiences slept on such an amazing film.

Agreed

The only thing about locking Bodn for 900 mill is that there is a perfect storm opening next weekend....EVERYWHERE. BOND has had the WW market to itself for a few weeks now.....but BD2 is going to come storming in. Talk to me after next weekend.

900m is locked, B. :)700m should be easy OS.
  • Like 1

Everything is a function of WOM. If the movie is good enough, lack of 3D ain't gonna stop it from 700m.

I know it, but given only 2 movies have reached that number without 3D I like to remark it. This is an exceptional event :)

I know it, but given only 2 movies have reached that number without 3D I like to remark it. This is an exceptional event :)

because this is an exceptional film.Without 3D, only 5 movies would have comfortably crossed 700m OS:TitanicROTKAvatarDH2AvengersAnd now Skyfall.An exceptional club indeed.
  • Like 4

• Founder / Operator

With such a huge portion of Skyfall's audience leaning male and over 25, I really don't see Twlight having a big effect on it next weekend. They can coexist with such widely different audiences.

• Like 2

If QoS (and also 2012, which opened the exact same weekend with mid-$60millions) could do 2.5x, I'd expect 2.7x at the very least from Skyfall. I'd say it's nearly guaranteed (meaning like a 99% chance) to outgross The Bourne Ultimatum, has a good chance to make it past 250 and an outside chance to crawl past TASM. I think 240-270 is the range, and if forced to make a closer prediction, I'd say 250-255.Also, I was no fan of TASM, but to me it still blew SM and SM3 right out of the water. SM2, on the other hand, remained untouchable... for the time being. Just my two cents. I also enjoyed Garfield and Stone in their roles much more than Maguire and Dunst.

• Like 1