Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

You are completely ignoring its home release performance which was probably relatively strong. Del Torro is probably great at pitching, but this is still a business. China is expanding as we all know and when you have the opportunity to lower costs, a chance to make $150m in a territory that is not the US, it is not the most difficult decision. They will likely fix things that people complained about – notably the silly tone of the film and they will market the shit out of it. The April release date is extremely smart and will give this a chance to break out. Say $150-175 domestic, a similar amount in China, and then you have the rest of the world. Good opportunity to make some money. And the first didn't loose money. Green lighting this is just good business. 

it's home video business was average. That can't be the real reason

• Like 1

it's home video business was average. That can't be the real reason

I believe it did very well and that definitely factors in imo. There is no sole factor. Put it this way, if it tanked during its home release (and it is important to think about this worldwide) then this may have not been greenlit. I believe it did quite well and I explain why this was a smart decision a few posts back (not the one I quoted you on). It is possible that this made a huge amount during its Chinese home release. Ultimately, the film industry is a business and there is a reason that this was green lit. Sequels to financial failures that people don't like and that also do poorly during home release are NOT greenlit. Period. 

• Like 2

I believe it did very well and that definitely factors in imo. There is no sole factor. Put it this way, if it tanked during its home release (and it is important to think about this worldwide) then this may have not been greenlit. I believe it did quite well and I explain why this was a smart decision a few posts back (not the one I quoted you on). It is possible that this made a huge amount during its Chinese home release. Ultimately, the film industry is a business and there is a reason that this was green lit. Sequels to financial failures that people don't like and that also do poorly during home release are NOT greenlit. Period. 

Yeah, this film must be doing something right for this to happen. It may not have been particularly profitable, but it clearly wasn't a disaster.
  • Like 4

Yeah, this film must be doing something right for this to happen. It may not have been particularly profitable, but it clearly wasn't a disaster.

Exactly. An opportunity to have a franchise is very big business – TV sales, box sets, etc.. Maybe even a theme park in China. This will make money for Legendary. No doubt about it.  

• Like 2

it didn't tank but its numbers are nothing special

I am going to assume maybe this will be a Chinese co production or something

• Like 1

Seems apparent Legendary saw the first film as a necessary step in generating a larger ecosystem, much the same way the Star Trek movies drive the Paramount ST library (albeit on a much smaller scale).

• Like 7

it didn't tank but its numbers are nothing special

I am going to assume maybe this will be a Chinese co production or something

Last things I will say, all about long-term potential. It is not just about the first film's theatrical box-office gross. There are many many more factors. 

Also, if this made closer to $200m domestic, it would't be considered as much of a failure at the box office. So we are ultimately discussing a disappointing domestic performance. Again – a disappointing dom performance – is one of a myriad of factors. It is like looking at earth and coming to the conclusion that because there is life on earth, there is life on every planet. In the same vein, you are looking at its domestic performance and coming to the conclusion that this film failed on every other level. It is just too simplistic. 

• Like 3

Seems apparent Legendary saw the first film as a necessary step in generating a larger ecosystem, much the same way the Star Trek movies drive the Paramount ST library (albeit on a much smaller scale).

I agree I think Pacific Rim has a lot of potential as a franchise. The first film was only a stepping stone.

• Like 1

You are completely ignoring its home release performance which was probably relatively strong. Del Torro is probably great at pitching, but this is still a business. China is expanding as we all know and when you have the opportunity to lower costs, a chance to make $150m in a territory that is not the US, it is not the most difficult decision. They will likely fix things that people complained about – notably the silly tone of the film and they will market the shit out of it. The April release date is extremely smart and will give this a chance to break out. Say $150-175 domestic, a similar amount in China, and then you have the rest of the world. Good opportunity to make some money. And the first didn't loose money. Green lighting this is just good business. 

If this makes $150m in China. ~$38m goes to the studios (and that is just with today's terms). That is a lot of money to make from 1 territory. Additionally, expect the share that studios get from Chinese releases to increase. It is only logical and also in the Chinese' interest to allow this so they can keep raking in a huge amount of coin. Hollywood films do astronomical numbers in China and Hollywood is now gaining leverage and the right to change the terms.  By 2017, expect the share to be closer to 40% than 25%. This is obviously speculation, but I do believe this is what will happen. It will not be 25% forever. 

As others have said the Disk sales where average at best.  How do you lower costs though?  None of the actors where making anything from this film.  The whole point of the film is the big action scenes and that cost 190 million last time.  Not sure how you trim the 50 million necessary and 70 million you would really like to and have a movie that anyone would see after the WoM. 

Why is the April date magic because Cap America this year?  This was the exception of the rule.  Maybe its changed but you are going off of a sample size of 1. 

What about this movie suggest that it will be a break out hit that increases its Domestic box office 50 to 70 percent?  I liked the film everyone else I saw the film with ranged from this is stupid to indifferent.  Yeah it has a following on the internet so does Scott Pilgrim.   

And this is a 2 market film.  Europe could care less about this film with the movie ranking around 40th biggest in the important markets. 

• Like 1

Last things I will say, all about long-term potential. It is not just about the first film's theatrical box-office gross. There are many many more factors. 

Also, if this made closer to $200m domestic, it would't be considered as much of a failure at the box office. So we are ultimately discussing a disappointing domestic performance. Again – a disappointing dom performance – is one of a myriad of factors. It is like looking at earth and coming to the conclusion that because there is life on earth, there is life on every planet. In the same vein, you are looking at its domestic performance and coming to the conclusion that this film failed on every other level. It is just too simplistic. 

it didn't just disappoint in the US. It disappointed in almost every market except China.  Everywhere else besides China it did Battleship numbers. That is why, if this is getting made, being partly produced with China makes sense

• Like 2

As others have said the Disk sales where average at best.  How do you lower costs though?  None of the actors where making anything from this film.  The whole point of the film is the big action scenes and that cost 190 million last time.  Not sure how you trim the 50 million necessary and 70 million you would really like to and have a movie that anyone would see after the WoM. 

Why is the April date magic because Cap America this year?  This was the exception of the rule.  Maybe its changed but you are going off of a sample size of 1. 

What about this movie suggest that it will be a break out hit that increases its Domestic box office 50 to 70 percent?  I liked the film everyone else I saw the film with ranged from this is stupid to indifferent.  Yeah it has a following on the internet so does Scott Pilgrim.   

And this is a 2 market film.  Europe could care less about this film with the movie ranking around 40th biggest in the important markets. 

To address a few of your points:

•I believe they can make the film for less than $200m because they have already done the R&D on much of the special effects and the PR world in general. Additionally and although not very significant, this can be made for less even while ignoring 3 years of inflation. Even Transformers 4 costs less than its predecessor.

•Cap didn't make April what it was. Fast and Furious arguably did and regardless of both films, there is simply less competition in April. Or March for that matter, which has been home to many blockbusters – Alice, Hunger Games etc...

•I think if they make a good film and advertise it right – meaning not focusing just on special effects and Robots (the advertising made Transformers look like a character piece [hyperbole, but you get the point]) – this will have a significant increase. $150m seems perfectly feasible, but that is complete speculation of course.

•I wouldn't be shocked by the notion that Europe has become more familiar with PR since its home release. Regardless, a well advertised and, potentially, reviewed film (GDT is a great filmmaker after all) has huge potential in Europe. Specifically, because this made over $400m WW with lackluster performances in EVERY MARKET expect for China. If this is actually good, think about the potential!!

• Like 1

COOL NEWS: Universal & Legendary to release Guillermo del Toro's PACIFIC RIM 2 on April 7, 2017! http://www.thewrap.com/guillermo-del-toros-pacific-rim-2-lands-2017-release-date/ 

Move this to main forum

Great news!  Bring it!

Posted Image

And hopefully the BO results doesn't match Cherno's fate this time around :P

• Like 3

it didn't just disappoint in the US. It disappointed in almost every market except China.  Everywhere else besides China it did Battleship numbers. That is why, if this is getting made, being partly produced with China makes sense

We are going in circles, please read my other posts if you would like my response to this. But one thing: If Pacific Rim is a massive failure and money loser and just got a sequel green lit, than the entire mechanics and business of Hollywood studio film-making have just changed – starting with a sequel to Pacific Rim. Sounds perfectly reasonable, right?.....

• Like 1