Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

I think PR was massive on OnDemand. It was literally listed under "New" on the main menu of Time Warner Cable's OnDemand channel for *months.*

Time Warner you say....I wonder who distributed that movie......
  • Like 2

You guys also have to take into account Merchandising which Pacific Rim lends itself to very very well (and I suspect is the main reason for the animated show).

It's the same reason Cars keeps getting sequels despite not being Pixar's most successful property box-office wise (or critically). It makes a ridiculous amount of money from all the toys and crap sold.

PR only had the comparably more expensive, adult collector-oriented NECA Toys though.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim wasn't particularly big on home media, and it's certainly not some merchandising giant. GDT wants to make the sequel, and apparently Legendary wants to keep him happy. I don't think there's much more to this than that

• Like 7

Good move by keeping it away from a summer release. Especially in 2017.

Hope we see Gipsy as a Mark V now and maybe Cherno Alpha back and badder than ever. I hope they don't do Kaiju/Jaeger hybrids. No need to fix something that isn't broken.

• Like 1

Very risky move by Legendary but one I'm excited for. However, Tull green lighting all these passion projects may end up bankrupting the company, or at least costing him his job.

Nah.

• Like 3

Make Charlie Hunnam a supporting role and bring in a charismatic A-lister or two. Then you'll outgross the original. 

But I was one of Pac Rim's biggest champions last summer so this is very surprising and welcoming news. 

• Like 4

Make Charlie Hunnam a supporting role and bring in a charismatic A-lister or two. Then you'll outgross the original. 

But I was one of Pac Rim's biggest champions last summer so this is very surprising and welcoming news. 

Why? I thought Hunnam did fine. Of course he will most likely take Stacker Pentecost's place in the sequel so he might move to supporting after all.

• Like 1

So this is definitely a sequel and not a prequel? Ah well, I would have liked to have seen Elba take the lead and tell his story before the first movie since he was the only actor in PR worth a damn.

I think his story along with the early pilots would have been interesting and has unlimited potential. From the early Kaijus & Jaegers, getting cancer from nuclear exposure and more.

• Like 1