Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

Hopefully there'll be new characters as well. Dunno if they should focus on the same main guys.

Anyways great to hear this is getting a sequel. Always love me some more robot punching giant kaiju. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 3

Pacific Rim was the best Summer movie last year so Wohooo. I don't think Universal needed to be convinced ether. Its not a bad business move all.

3 films, an animated series, blu-rays, merch, it could be a huge money maker. Its about a brand.

What happens when a new X-men movie comes out? The X-men blu rays get promoted and fly off the shells, or Star Trek or Batman or even Jack Ryan, it brought the first 3 films awareness to a higher level. 

• Like 4

It's really interesting to read the night-and-day responses in this thread and the Snow White 2 thread. Both films did roughly the same business, neither was particularly well-liked outside its respective core audience and neither is likely to increase from its predecessor in a meaningful way. Yet here we have folks bending over backwards to explain why Pacific Rim was secretly a success, while people are (rightfully) laughing at the mere idea of a Snow White 2

Actually, throw Prometheus in there too. I suppose sequels to $400M grossing non-hits are trendy

• Like 5

It's really interesting to read the night-and-day responses in this thread and the Snow White 2 thread. Both films did roughly the same business, neither was particularly well-liked outside its respective core audience and neither is likely to increase from its predecessor in a meaningful way. Yet here we have folks bending over backwards to explain why Pacific Rim was secretly a success, while people are (rightfully) laughing at the mere idea of a Snow White 2 Actually, throw Prometheus in there too. I suppose sequels to $400M grossing non-hits are trendy

I can readily understand the PROMETHEUS sequel, since the budget was so much lower than the others.
  • Like 3

I can readily understand the PROMETHEUS sequel, since the budget was so much lower than the others.

True, but it was also the most ridiculed of the three, and seems the most likely to decrease significantly. Although how much of that ridicule is internet-only is certainly debatable

It did have the worst legs of the three, too

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 2

It's really interesting to read the night-and-day responses in this thread and the Snow White 2 thread. Both films did roughly the same business, neither was particularly well-liked outside its respective core audience and neither is likely to increase from its predecessor in a meaningful way. Yet here we have folks bending over backwards to explain why Pacific Rim was secretly a success, while people are (rightfully) laughing at the mere idea of a Snow White 2Actually, throw Prometheus in there too. I suppose sequels to $400M grossing non-hits are trendy

Good point. Snow White at least has the "adding 3d to the sequel" Option as well Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

I'm not sure Pacific Rim actually made a profit at the WW boxoffice.  I was a little surprised it was greenlighted.  Perhaps ancillary revenues allowed it to be a money maker.

Well, it definitely did not make a profit off ww box office. That's not really in question.
  • Like 2

Its pretty amazing how a 200m budget film that only made 410m WW is getting a sequel, especially when it only made 100m domestic(the most important market).  If this can get a sequel, almost anything can.

Like many have already said, it seems that Del Toro is really crucial in this. He got a sequel to Hellboy, which made less than 100m WW on a 66m budget.

• Like 2

Fuck yeah !!! This just become one of my most anticipated movies of 2017 ! Legendary are smart to greenlit this. It should increase. 200m from China

I think China is the main reason this got a greenlight
  • Like 3

Make Charlie Hunnam a supporting role and bring in a charismatic A-lister or two. Then you'll outgross the original. But I was one of Pac Rim's biggest champions last summer so this is very surprising and welcoming news.

I agree. We need a headliner for this. If they keep the budget around 175 mill incl a big star it should do 500-550 mill WW which should be enough to keep the studio happy
  • Like 1

It's really interesting to read the night-and-day responses in this thread and the Snow White 2 thread. Both films did roughly the same business, neither was particularly well-liked outside its respective core audience and neither is likely to increase from its predecessor in a meaningful way. Yet here we have folks bending over backwards to explain why Pacific Rim was secretly a success, while people are (rightfully) laughing at the mere idea of a Snow White 2

Actually, throw Prometheus in there too. I suppose sequels to $400M grossing non-hits are trendy

Um, Pacific Rim got 72% on RT and 7.1 on IMDB (compared to SW&THM's 48% and 6.2). Sure it's not outstanding acclaim but at the very least you can't claim it's not 'well-liked' by those who saw it.

And no, John Marston before you inevitably come in, its box office performance does not count as definite proof it was disliked because there are literally millions of other factors affecting that other than quality. We've been over this already.

• Like 1