Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

I don't understand why Del Toro would tie himself to this when that was just a studio gig in the first place (which was not even a breakout hit nor a passion project like Hellboy he wanted to make so bad for years), he was just supposed to be an executive producer on PR. Out of the umptenth of interesting projects he seems to be scheduled on, he chose to make that, is Del Toro going through some creative crisis or what? :unsure:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I don't understand why Del Toro would tie himself to this when that was just a studio gig in the first place (which was not even a breakout hit nor a passion project like Hellboy he wanted to make so bad for years), he was just supposed to be an executive producer on PR. Out of the umptenth of interesting projects he seems to be scheduled on, he chose to make that, is Del Toro going through some creative crisis or what? :unsure:

If you actually read some of Del Toro's interviews he talks about expanding Pacific Rim's universe a lot, which includes sequels.

A Pacific Rim sequel has been one of his topic proprieties for a while, and considering how happy he was with the first one, I can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

To address a few of your points:

•I believe they can make the film for less than $200m because they have already done the R&D on much of the special effects and the PR world in general. Additionally and although not very significant, this can be made for less even while ignoring 3 years of inflation. Even Transformers 4 costs less than its predecessor.

•Cap didn't make April what it was. Fast and Furious arguably did and regardless of both films, there is simply less competition in April. Or March for that matter, which has been home to many blockbusters – Alice, Hunger Games etc...

•I think if they make a good film and advertise it right – meaning not focusing just on special effects and Robots (the advertising made Transformers look like a character piece [hyperbole, but you get the point]) – this will have a significant increase. $150m seems perfectly feasible, but that is complete speculation of course.

•I wouldn't be shocked by the notion that Europe has become more familiar with PR since its home release. Regardless, a well advertised and, potentially, reviewed film (GDT is a great filmmaker after all) has huge potential in Europe. Specifically, because this made over $400m WW with lackluster performances in EVERY MARKET expect for China. If this is actually good, think about the potential!!

What is there to suggest this movie is going to increase 50 percent or more from the first movie?  Disk sales are what would be expected for the movies gross.  From my antidotal experience for every 1 person that loved the film there was 3 or 4 people that did not like the film or could care less about the film.  Looking around the internet where this has its biggest support there seems to be a pretty big did not like it contingent.  Just not seeing what would make this break out at all.   

The world was indifferent the first time why would they suddenly get Pac Fever this time?

• Like 1

I like the first one and all, but that was because of like 60% Elba, 30% del Toro, 10% whatever there's left. So I can't really get excited for this one once that 60% is out. But well, we'll see. The first right step I would advise is to get rid of Charlie Hunnam. Or relegate the guy to minor supporting role, cast someone who's more charismatic and capable instead.

• Like 1

I like the first one and all, but that was because of like 60% Elba, 30% del Toro, 10% whatever there's left. So I can't really get excited for this one once that 60% is out.But well, we'll see. The first right step I would advise is to get rid of Charlie Hunnam. Or relegate the guy to minor supporting role, cast someone who's more charismatic and capable instead.

I like Elba himself but i thought his subplot was stupid. 

• Like 1

While if this never got made, I wouldn't blink an eye over it, but since they are going through with it, yeah replace the whole cast. 

I don't hate the first one but there was nothing really good about it either.  This gives them a chance to fix everything and make it better.  (yes make it better for my point of view as I realize some thought the first one was great)

• Like 1

If you actually read some of Del Toro's interviews he talks about expanding Pacific Rim's universe a lot, which includes sequels.

A Pacific Rim sequel has been one of his topic proprieties for a while, and considering how happy he was with the first one, I can't say I'm surprised.

Well, when you see how he treated all the secondary characters that were supposed to build that universe in the first place, they were all cartoony cardboard caricatures at best (australian pilots, the goofy scientists, Perlman's cameo) (and non-entities for the most part, see the russians and chinese pilots), I think he failed to flesh it properly so "expanding" it, I don't even fathom how boring and superficial it could be.(That middle part slog was so trite and cliche trying to build "drama" in a fishtank instead of giving us what we came to see thanks to Hunnam's blandness as a lead)

Blade 2's crew of misfits was more exciting to see interact if I got to choose.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

Hunnam almost managed to suck some charisma out of Idris Elba. That's pretty bad. He's pretty, but still, that can only help so much.

Unless your Megan Fox. ... Or evanna lynch

yes I find Luna Lovegood attractive

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

Well, when you see how he treated all the secondary characters that were supposed to build that universe in the first place, they were all cartoony cardboard caricatures at best (australian pilots, the goofy scientists, Perlman's cameo) (and non-entities for the most part, see the russians and chinese pilots), I think he failed to flesh it properly so "expanding" it, I don't even fathom how boring and superficial it could be.(That middle part slog was so trite and cliche trying to build "drama" in a fishtank instead of giving us what we came to see thanks to Hunnam's blandness as a lead) Blade 2's crew of misfits was more exciting to see interact if I got to choose.

I was a bit baffled on how quick the triplet went out. The first time I watched it, I kept expecting either the Russian or the HK team to come back in some ways. Cause with the way they were developed and went out, they were amount to almost nothing, more cannon fodder than supporting characters.
  • Like 2

Hunnam almost managed to suck some charisma out of Idris Elba. That's pretty bad. He's pretty, but still, that can only help so much.

Elba and Kikuchi should have been the lead pilots that reconcile at the end to fight together as surrogate father and daughter, Hunnam should have been killed in the second act at HK. Talk about missing opportunity and not recognizing your script potential to pimp the most boring and dull character of it all as your main protagonist

• Like 5