Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

The reason is that the reveal is a great fucking badass moment.

Exactly what I was going to say. Fuck logic. Fuck it right up the ass. That scene was awesome.It's like the T-Rex coming out of nowhere to attack the raptors at the end of Jurassic Park. Sure, the characters (not to mention us, the audience) logically would have seen/heard the 'Rex coming long before the moment where he actually shows up, but that moment, logic-defying as it is, is FUCKING AWESOME. Edited by TServo2049

You don't just pop out the sword as soon as the battle starts. You gotta build up to it. That's like, the first rule of anime, logic be damned.

It's why Goku doesn't turn Super Saiyan until he gets his ass kicked in regular form.

Del Toro talks PR2: "It will be very different"

http://www.slashfilm.com/pacific-rim-2-details/

I’m hoping to bring the same idea I had in the first movie, that was to make it multicultural and humanistic as much as possible, to make characters from many nationalities or gender, to make them equal in the scope of the adventure, in the day-to-day of the adventure. So, we’re bringing a few characters that are new and hopefully doing good work managing those that survived the first movie.

I start designing in six weeks. It takes me nine months to design a movie like that. People see the movie, and they have to see that we designed everything in the movie, from ID cards or patches, pamphlets, posters, signs, sets. I start with a core team for about six months designing the jaegers and the kaiju, you know, so we know how many kaiju, how many jaegers. We are creating some new jaegers and a lot of new kaiju. We start [designing the production] in August.

Edited by Neo

Yeah, I won't see it today like I planned. In the last two days I woke up at 7 AM in both and today was just brutal with one exam and a presentation of a project. But I will see it sometime this weekend. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

When Del Toro banged you on the head with the Drift, all about mental synchronicity/ mental fusion to pilot as one mind like the two sides of the brain and shit like that, that scene just fucks that movie logic up. So you got to be in total synch mentally to be able to pilot those robots but you don't think it is important to mention to your partner that you added weapons so you put the mission in danger and you just wait to use it on the fly as your partner looks befuddled (even if he's supposed to be able to read your mind to be able to pilot together so they think as one entity)

Maybe it's because it's her first time to experience the drift and as we all saw, the memories that came to the forefront, were those of her as a child. Those were very powerful memories that she had to reign in and take control of. You don't think that maybe, just maybe the addition of a sword might have slipped passed?
  • Like 2

If what GDT had hinted at previously turns out to be true, then this is gonna be one batshit-insane sequel.

“...the main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain and all kaiju brains were connected.”

and

“We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.”

• Like 4

I'll give the haters the undersea battle- that one got a bit murky, especially in 3-D.  But the first fight was just fine, and the Hong Kong battle was, as you say, gorgeous.

There's nothing wrong with that Hong Kong fight, it was great and the water effects were superb but the climax was such a disappointment in comparison. It was like watching a bunch of toys for in the bottom of a dirty bath, all that rich detail was nowhere to be seen. The sword reveal was pretty silly but my main complaint was the fusion reactor gun. Why didn't they just open with that every time? Punching the Kaiju proved to be unaffective in every fight.
  • Like 1

If what GDT had hinted at previously turns out to be true, then this is gonna be one batshit-insane sequel.

“...the main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain and all kaiju brains were connected.”

What is this supposed to mean?

and

“We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.”

I like this idea. 

Also I think people give Del Toro a little too much credit when it comes to the deigns of his beasts. Gareth Edwards did a lot better job with the look of his monsters and he's just a newbie in the directing business.Either way, this along with Prometheus 2 is a film I will continue to bitch about for being highly disappointed with their predecessors yet ill still be watching them opening weekend.

Edited by jessie

What is this supposed to mean?

Presumably that the kaijus now have access to all of Newt's memories, in one form or another, so they may have a greater understanding of how to attack humanity. Plus, he might have on-going mental trauma from being exposed to kaiju thoughts, which (if they take the original approach of this concept

means he'd end up being the villain.

• Like 1

Also I think people give Del Toro a little too much credit when it comes to the deigns of his beasts. Gareth Edwards did a lot better job with the look of his monsters and he's just a newbie in the directing business.Either way, this along with Prometheus 2 is a film I will continue to bitch about for being highly disappointed with their predecessors yet ill still be watching them opening weekend.

The kaiju are all very different and unique. Del Toro had to create how many kaiju for PR? I can think of 8 of the top of my head. They are all different and unique while still looking somewhat similar since they are all clones. The kaiju in Godzilla did look good, but they we're make and female of the same species. One had wings the other one didn't.
  • Like 1

The Kaijus were great. You must have been watching a different film.

and

That sounds so wacked, but awesome. I especially like

Newt drifting with a kaiju brain, since I pretty much expected that to happen.

Since Paramount/Michael Bay are never gonna hand over Transformers to a real filmmaker + the fact that Gareth Edward's Godzilla was a borderline disaster, Pacific Rim 2 is something to look forward to.  Pacific Rim was far from a perfect movie(mainly because of the poorly written and acted lead), but man it was a fun giant robot/giant monster movie because it delivered where it needed to in spades without being dumb and insulting like Bayformers.  Too bad Idris Elba won't be in the sequel.

Edited by Ozymandias