Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

It is not bad.

But doesn't mean the sequel will do big numbers. The first Kick Ass sold incredibly well on HV and we all know how that ended. 

Well, I hate to sound like a broken record, but Kick-Ass 2 was written and directed by the director of Never Back Down and Cry Wolf.  It went from 76% to 29% on RT.  It didn't go down like that just because.

No I was watching the same film as everyone else, you know, that film a lot of people didn't really like?

Here are some of Pacific Rim's stats:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are Godzilla's same stats:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are remarkably similar, don't you think?  So therefore, if nobody really liked Pacific Rim, then nobody liked Godzilla.

Edited by Boner Omega
  • Like 1

I think Universal is at least going to do better in terms of giving a shit when it comes to maerketing, but WB set the bar way low. As for the idea, I'll look forward to it, just to see where Del Toro takes things. I wasn't as hugely in love with the first as some people, but it's still wholly enjoyable.

It is not bad.

But doesn't mean the sequel will do big numbers. The first Kick Ass sold incredibly well on HV and we all know how that ended. 

It was also an extremely shitty movie.

• Like 1

why should Pacific Rim 2 increase? It is a sequel coming out four years after a film that had a mediocre opening , mediocre legs (for a movie that is not a sequel or based on a YA book or comic book), average home video sales and in the end it seemed it got a mostly meh reaction from audiences. Why would the world suddenly care four years later? Why would they care about Charlie Day getting a bigger role or there being "new kaiju" or whatever? Pacific Rim basically performed like Batlleship with 3D. Their grosses in many countries are remarkably similar. Overseas PR made 199m OS excluding China vs. Battleship's 189m OS excluding China. Hell in some countries it did worse than Battleship, Japan for example.

This seems more like a vanity project than anything else. I am sure though that the studio is going to pander heavily to the Chinese market heavily, maybe even make it a flat out co production there so they can get more of the gross. I will be shocked if they don't do this. 

• Like 1

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2013

13th of the year doesn't sound so bad to me.  Maybe not a huge break out, but this is just physical media, right?  There is no way to track digital sales is there?

That is just Blu-Ray, go combined, and it drops to 29th: http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2013

As far as comps in Pacific Rims favor go, I'm really surprised nobody mentioned Hellboy to Hellboy 2.

Hellboy had like a 2.5 multi - bad for a non sequel.  

Universal picked up the movie and made a sequel.

They changed the release window, giving it a prime summer spot(nobody knew TDK was gonna do that at the time)

Both are Del Toro passion projects.

Look at the release dates too, Hellboy went from 4/2 to 7/11.  Pacific Rim is going from 7/12 to 4/7.

Of course the kajiu in the room is that Hellboy was a fuck ton cheaper to make.  But seeing as how this is happening, budget should be a non-issue.

• Like 1

Um what everyone knew tdk was going to blow up

No, I don't believe anybody predicted it was going to do $533m. I wasn't there, but I swear I've heard that there were even questions of whether Ledger's death was going to HURT its BO. Is this accurate? Edited by TServo2049

Um what everyone knew tdk was going to blow up

What are you talking about? Release dates, especially summer dates are claimed at least a year in advance. I don't know who claimed their date first, but NOBODY a year out was predicting TDK to open THAT big. It's easy in hindsight to say, that was a dumb idea, but there's nothing that can be done about it now.
  • Like 1

That would be so ironic if WB/DC slated one of their DCU movie up against it so PR2 would suffer the same fate as HB2.

At this point, that's my biggest fear, it's close to three years away. That's a long time and anyone can put another big movie in April.

Why do people say this? You probably interact with 100 people on a weekly basis and there are 6+billion people on Earth not the best sample size.

Of course its not a statistically valid survey because even with the 100 people he interacts with maybe 7 people even seen the movie.  And of course its possible that the people he knows that did not like the film are the only 3 people that felt that way.

That said there have been several people in this thread that have said similar.  I have a similar experience where I was the only one of my group that liked the first movie and I only know 1 other person that actually liked it enough to talk about seeing it.  Again we can all be isolated cases of people not liking the film.

But then you add that in with the okish opening despite a great date, 3D and Imax screen, its weak legs and a bit of underperformance on Disk sales it starts to paint a picture of not many people actually liking the film.