57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Matrix

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I feel like starting a Jaws vs TDK thread. That's gonna be a hell lot of fun if Squaremaster is involved, and I'm sure baumer will like it. :lol:

I'd have to quit as a mod if you started that thread.  Gloves would be off with Squaremaster if he decides to hate on JAWS.

• Like 1

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:

I saw The Matrix when I was 16. Naturally, it blew me the fuck away.

I am reading that there are people here who were only 12 or 13 when they watched the Matrix sequels. Others are saying that they've only recently watched The Matrix for the first time as part of a class.

Apart from feeling incredibly old, I am also curious as to roughly how old a lot of users here actually are / were when watching the Matrix films for the first time, and how you felt when you watched them.

Thanks.

Almost 4 years later and Inception is still being talked about as a mind-blowing film.

The Matrix isn't referred on any level except the bullet time sequence.

The Matrix and its sequels inspired more dialogue and discussions and dissections and dissertations than any other film (series) in recent memory.

I enjoy Inception immensely, but let's face it: it's just a simple heist film with a dream gimmick.

I haven't heard anyone talking about it recently, unless it's someone trying to grapple with the convoluted plot.

How is anything in that film even remotely as flawed on a fundamental/logical level as the Matrix' plot of "using humans for heat energy to keep the machines running for years" when their power source would most likely be depleted in a week, if that?

"Combined with a form of fusion, the Machines had found all the energy they would ever need." -- Morpheus, The Matrix (Wachowski, 1999)

Edited by max314

It is a bit hard to watch this without thinking about what happened with 2 and 3... but it remains a fact that this was one gamechanger of a movie.

There is no denying that... Inception is a glorious movie. But it will be forgotten long before The Matrix.

A+

• Like 1

Pretty terrific when it is not trying to be political and deep, the social commentary holds as much intellectual weight as movies like The Maze Runner and Divergent. The second act, in particular, is unbearable, there's so much bad exposition that it would make someone like Nolan blush. 

I thought the chosen one stuff  was atmospheric and well done, still holds up really well, especially after so many movies with the same trope, so many movies ripping it off. I also really liked Neo and Trinity relationship (even if a bit underdeveloped), Carrie-Anne Moss was great in the part, her performance alone injected the heart that the relationship needed and Reeves usual innocuous performance sorely lacked.  

It's clear that The Wachowski put much more effort in the action sequences, most of which are gratuitous, than the plot itself, something that would became evident in their later works.

Old rating: 90/100
new rating: 75/100

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:

I saw The Matrix when I was 16. Naturally, it blew me the fuck away.

I am reading that there are people here who were only 12 or 13 when they watched the Matrix sequels. Others are saying that they've only recently watched The Matrix for the first time as part of a class.

Apart from feeling incredibly old, I am also curious as to roughly how old a lot of users here actually are / were when watching the Matrix films for the first time, and how you felt when you watched them.

Thanks.

The Matrix and its sequels inspired more dialogue and discussions and dissections and dissertations than any other film (series) in recent memory.

I enjoy Inception immensely, but let's face it: it's just a simple heist film with a dream gimmick.

I haven't heard anyone talking about it recently, unless it's someone trying to grapple with the convoluted plot.

"Combined with a form of fusion, the Machines had found all the energy they would ever need." -- Morpheus, The Matrix (Wachowski, 1999)

The first time I watched The Matrix, aside from being completely blown away, I was actually thinking what if it was all true and we were now indeed sleeping in water tanks and the world was just a program as the matrix. Of cause the objective side of me told myself it's just a movie, but that what if thought gave me some good fun thinking.