#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

I don't much care but they should split the number when reporting. 10pm on Thursday simply isn't part of a 3 day opening weekend.

Some of us here don't feel the same way. I think it is a new era for cinema. Aurora changed things. 10PM is the new midnight, at least for me it is.
  • Like 4

All the theaters in SE Wisconsin had the 10pm showings instead of midnights.

I can't say all theaters in Toronto were like this because I didn't check them all, but the three theaters around me were all like this. 10pms no midnights.

I don't much care but they should split the number when reporting. 10pm on Thursday simply isn't part of a 3 day opening weekend.

I think we're going to have to adjust to them being considered part of the weekend "previews", and lumped in as such. 10pm's the new midnight -- treat it as such.
  • Like 3

Some of us here don't feel the same way. I think it is a new era for cinema. Aurora changed things. 10PM is the new midnight, at least for me it is.

Where does one draw the line, though? Big midnights are impressive precisely because it's a hassle seeing a film that late. Watching a movie at 10pm, by comparison, is no big deal.I understand a lot of theaters moved midnight showings ahead a couple of hours, but either it's a 3 day weekend or it isn't. I'm sure this is the new reality of weekend showings but... I'm just sayin' . Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

This is a phenomenal opening! The massacre last July had a huge impact on midnight shows and considering the demographic this film targets, I can only imagine how many parents didn't want their kids going to the late showings or how many adults would rather just wait until the next day. Despite this it still grossed $30m!!, that is wildly impressive.

You're crazy.If the Aurora shooting had a huge impact, you wouldn't see $30 million for a movie like this.This proves just the opposite in fact! Human beings have a short attention span, and have mostly forgotten about the Aurora shootings. At this point, anyone who is still worried about them is more likely to avoid all theater-going in general, not midnight showings.
  • Like 1

making less than 140 mill for OW is not underperforming. And I'll guarantee it will not make less than 250.

Sounds like a moving target to me. If this makes less than TASM you can't tell me you'll be happy with that.

I really don't think midnights/10 pm showings are completely interchangeable. Someone can hit up a 10 p.m. showing and still make it to work/school with no problem the next morning. A midnight showing is almost a commitment to either coming in late or being a zombie all day. More people are simply willing to see a 10 p.m. movie than a midnight movie. So from that perspective, I would've expected a slightly higher number.But I also think a lot of this audience has grown up and may be content to wait until Fri/Sat night now. And the Aurora factor could still be in play. Like others, I think we need to wait for OD numbers to know if this will be even with BD1 or get a bump from the finale factor.

• Like 1

I can't say all theaters in Toronto were like this because I didn't check them all, but the three theaters around me were all like this. 10pms no midnights.

The theaters around me a had a few post-midnight showings, presumably to cater to overflow sellout crowds or for people who didn't hear the news of the 10pm showings.

You guys aren't grasping something very basic:10pm on Thursday is Thursday12:00am on Friday is FridayThe weekend is Friday through Sunday. Thursday showings are not going to be included ever.If a studio wants to trick BOM into including Thursday showings into the weekend number by purposefully fudging the numbers, that's their own thing. It should not be done, though, and it sets a horrible precedent.

Edited by Derpity
  • Like 3

You're crazy.

If the Aurora shooting had a huge impact, you wouldn't see $30 million for a movie like this.

This proves just the opposite in fact! Human beings have a short attention span, and have mostly forgotten about the Aurora shootings. At this point, anyone who is still worried about them is more likely to avoid all theater-going in general, not midnight showings.

First of all I am not crazy, let's improve on that rhetoric of yours. I think the number would have been significantly higher and, yes, people are more hesitant to go to late showings (10pm and on) after last July. Also, I don't think it is outrageous to suggest that the aurora shooting will have a lasting impact on late showings and this is far from an original thought--this will, of course, wane over time but the event was less than six months ago. Human beings might have short attention spans (don't know what your comparing to lol) but not that short.. Edited by Clavius

From the Over/under TDKR thread:Phillip: 145Dexter: InOlive: 145-155Firedeep: More than BD2Fake: 155spizzer: mid to high 150'sEd: Not sureFTF: under 150richzhang: just over 150avatarfan: 148spizzer: 154.6aa: 150Don Niam: Hell NoRudolph: Without 3D and IMAX impossiblebaumer: 145 hoping for 150that's the first couple of pages.....so 2 people took over 160.

Where does one draw the line, though? Big midnights are impressive precisely because it's a hassle seeing a film that late. Watching a movie at 10pm, by comparison, is no big deal.I understand a lot of theaters moved midnight showings ahead a couple of hours, but either it's a 3 day weekend or it isn't. I'm sure this is the new reality of weekend showings but... I'm just sayin' .

Levels of commitment aside, it's just the new reality. Theaters are going to increasingly do it and (for the most part) reduce midnights.... and I'm fairly convinced they'll still just report the numbers like they have for midnights. So, for all intensive porpoises (:D), they'll also be considered part of the OW.Fair or rational has nothing to do with it. It's just the way it's going to be.
  • Like 2

Sounds like a moving target to me. If this makes less than TASM you can't tell me you'll be happy with that.

What are you talking about? I said to him that making less than 140 OW is not under performing.Then I said that I guarantee you it will not make less than 250 total.

You guys aren't grasping something very basic:10pm on Thursday is Thursday12:00am on Friday is FridayThe weekend is Friday through Sunday. Thursday showings are not going to be included ever.If a studio wants to trick BOM into including Thursday showings into the weekend number by purposefully fudging the numbers, that's their own thing. It should not be done, though, and it sets a horrible precedent.

The precedent has been set. It's not fudging, it's merely the new definition. At the end of the day, the studios set the rules about how/what they report and how they frame the numbers.