66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Jaws

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just when I thought I couldn't love a movie any more than I do....I bought the BR last night and OH MY GOD! what a film. The job they did restoring this is nothing short of remarkable. For the first time in my life (I'm still a BR neophyte) I can understand why BR is so revered. I've seen JAWS more than 1000X, honestly, and I saw things last night I have never seen before. I could see a clock in Brody's kitchen, it read 7:45AM, that's when he got the call about the Watkins shark attack. I could see signs on the street much more clearly, the opening beach scene with the bonfire looks like it was filmed in 2012, not 1974. I could almost read the labels on Hoopers wine bottles that he brought to dinner. I have never experienced JAWS like this before and I can say I feel like this is perhaps the best $20.00 I have ever spend on a HV purchase. I love this movie already, this just elevates it to something new.

Damn you best buy and it being so hard to find your exclusive digibook Jaws blu-ray!!! I want to watch this on BR so bad but I can't find it anywhere! Anyway, glad to hear it looks amazing on blu-ray, I've only heard excellent things about it. I'm also really looking forward to finally watching the documentary The shark is still working...I've never seen it and really glad it's on this BR.

Despite its legacy, I have to say that I always find it hard for myself to get into this film. I think the first half is very interesting, but overall I just can't really enjoy a story about a bunch of people hunting white sharks. Also I think the captain character was a bit over-the-top, and I wished he got killed since his first scene LOL.

Damn you best buy and it being so hard to find your exclusive digibook Jaws blu-ray!!! I want to watch this on BR so bad but I can't find it anywhere! Anyway, glad to hear it looks amazing on blu-ray, I've only heard excellent things about it. I'm also really looking forward to finally watching the documentary The shark is still working...I've never seen it and really glad it's on this BR.

I spent 3 hours last night watching the features on the BR and the Shark is still Working doc is fantastic , but I've seen it before. The making of JAWS is nothing short of breathtaking. Interviews with just about everyone and it brings you inside a time of film making that may never happen again. Spielberg literally had no finished script when he began filming and as some of you may know, Gorrlieb was rewriting pages of script on a daily basis and handing it to Spielberg in the morning and saying, ok we're doing this today. Just a remarkable Blu Ray.
  • Like 1

What's on the digibook? I had to go to 3 stores just to find the blu ray combo set and it was at a Target so I don't know what is on the Best Buy exclusive that I was looking for.And I just watched the movie last night. It looks incredible

• Like 1

Also I think the captain character was a bit over-the-top, and I wished he got killed since his first scene LOL.

I especially agree with this... I actually thought the film came a screeching stop when he was telling his story. I completely lost interest during that scene.

Still, I liked the movie as it mostly kept my attention and it was thrilling, but kind of a letdown but only because of the hype. I understand the cultural impact but just because it changed cinema doesn't necessarily mean it should get a pass. Same kind of argument has been made of Citizen Kane, a movie I enjoyed but didn't love (yet still acknowledging the technological achievements).

Despite not really loving the movie, it still has a ton of replay value thanks in large part to Roy Scheider and, especially, Richard Dreyfuss. Those two are great on screen and more than make up for any flaws.

****¼/*****, (A-, 8.7/10, 3.25/4)

Well, you guys are entitled to your opinion, but it is my favourite movie of all time, by a mile.

Not my favorite of all time, but at the worst in my top 10.For some reason, when I was watching the blu ray last night, my mind was wandering and when Hooper went to investigate Ben's abandoned boat, I was ready for the yellow eel looking fish to be the jump scare. Obviously it wasn't so when the head popped out of the boat, I actually jumped a bit. First, I forgot that was going to happen and secondly, on blu ray, it looked so real. :P
  • Like 1

Not my favorite of all time, but at the worst in my top 10.For some reason, when I was watching the blu ray last night, my mind was wandering and when Hooper went to investigate Ben's abandoned boat, I was ready for the yellow eel looking fish to be the jump scare. Obviously it wasn't so when the head popped out of the boat, I actually jumped a bit. First, I forgot that was going to happen and secondly, on blu ray, it looked so real. :P

The BR clean up is nothing short of remarkable.
  • Like 1

Despite its legacy, I have to say that I always find it hard for myself to get into this film. I think the first half is very interesting, but overall I just can't really enja boy a story about a bunch of people hunting white sharks. Also I think Quint was one of the greatest characters in movie history, and I was sad he was killed.

Fixed
  • Like 2

Robert Shaw was fantastic in Jaws as were Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider. The Character development, acting, direction, score and the entire movie is just perfect. It is no accident that this was the original blockbuster. It is just awesome in every single way.

• Like 3

Despite its legacy, I have to say that I always find it hard for myself to get into this film. I think the first half is very interesting, but overall I just can't really enjoy a story about a bunch of people hunting white sharks. Also I think the captain character was a bit over-the-top, and I wished he got killed since his first scene LOL.

What Spielberg movie from this early time in his career do you like best?

Debating what Spielberg movie is his best is like debating what's the better painting (not that I have any knowledge of art); The Mona Lisa or the Last Supper. It's subjective and there is no wrong answer. JAWS is my favourite of his because I think it is the best movie ever made. But when I see flims like Raiders, ET, Schindler's List, Close Encounters and Saving Private Ryan mentioned, I can't really disagree. They are all brilliant. I can tell you why I love JAWS but there are a lot of intanglibles as well. I just find everything about it to be perfect.

• Like 1