The Stingray

Top-10 Directors Working Today.

Top-10 Directors Working Today.  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the best director working today?

• Steven Spielberg
    • J.J. Abrams
    • Danny Boyle
    • Coen brothers
    • Martin Scorsese
    • Paul Thomas Anderson
    • Darren Aronofsky
    • Christopher Nolan
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • David Fincher
    • Other (please specify below)

Thanx for sharing Hatebox. Nothing new under the sun though. Bay IS very good at handling action, never he said he wasn't. I just think he sucks at everything else, and the spectacular final 30 min of TF3 does not compensate for the awful 1h and 30 min that came before it.

I think the article was saying that Bay's style is more sensory than people give him credit for, rather than him merely being good at action scenes. I'm not a fan, I was just posting it as a devil's advocate.

I can't believe everybody has just ignored Michael Mann. He has made Collateral, Public Enemies and Miami Vice since 2000, and they're all excellent. He also made Ali.

Obviously Stallone is another fantastic director. He can direct action better than anyone, but he's also great with dialogue, so he can create sentimental scenes too. Rocky Balboa is one of the best movies for making the best of a bad situation - nobody thought that a sixth Rocky movie would work, they were just waiting to make jokes about it, but it turned out to be heartfelt and interesting, and as a director that is what Stallone brings to the table; that ability to recognise what is needed from a project.

• Like 1

I too am limiting this to a director with at least 3 films on his resume.

11) Marcus Nispel (TCM 2003, Friday the 13th): Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 is enough to have him on this list, all by itself. The ingenuity in that film was truly awesome. His idea to film the hole in the head of the hitchhiker, using a mini camera on a piece of fishing wire was pure genius.

10) David Fincher (Zodiac, TSN, Girl With Dragon Tattoo): He showed how good he is with Seven

and then kept it going with films like the ones in brackets. A keen eye for detail and able to pay homage to some of the international greats like Dario Argento. Will win an oscar one day.

9) Sylvester Stallone (Rocky Balboa, The Expendables, Rambo): Few people can direct action like Stallone. Rocky Balboa, imo, was worthy of a slew of awards including best director and picture.

8) Ridley Scott (Gladiator, American Ganster, Body of Lies): Gladiator is one of the best of the last decade.

7) Sam Mendes (MI3, Skyfall, Revolutionary Road): I thought Skyfall was good, not great, but directing wise, it is stunning. I'm not sure how he filmed the opening train scene. Add in the quiet and subtle brilliane of RR and he cements his status and lives up to the genius of American Beauty.

6) Clint Eastwood (Mystic River, Gran Torino): Clint should have won best director for Mystic River. Gran Torino is one of the most entertaining films of the decade. At 135 years old, Clint is not slowing down.

5) Martin Scorcese (Hugo, Shutter Island, The Departed) Finally won an oscar for The Departed and it was long overdue.

4) Gore Verbinski (POTC, The Ring) Pirates 1 was fantastic and 3 was good. I hated 2 but the reason he ranks so high is The Ring is the best horror film perhaps in 15 years.

3) Steven Spielberg (Lincoln, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War of the Worlds): Not much needs to be said. He has an imitable style and 37 years after Jaws he is still making brilliant films.

2) Christopher Nolan (Memento, BB, TDK)It doesn't matter what he has done, TDK is one of this generations defining films. Robbed at the oscars, it will be remembered in the same vein as Jaws and Star Wars, films that should have won but will remain in the pysche for years to come.

1) Michael Bay (Tranformers, Pearl Harbor, Transformers 3): No one is more entertaining that Bay. His style cannot be duplicated. He runs his set like a general on a battle field and the results are explosive, literally and figuratively. He will win an oscar one day. Transformers is a hit because of his style. A visonary and a genius.

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? Michael Bay!? Baumer? Wtf!?
  • Like 1

Nolan for me. He's not perfect, but he hasn't made a bad or uninteresting movie yet. Every other big name director I can think of with enough films under his/her belt has made at least one bad one or a film I just don't care for personally. The others still need to make enough films to properly judge.More than enough films:1. Nolan2. Spielberg3. Scorsese4. Cameron5. Tarantino6. Jackson7. Del Toro8. Mendes9. Eastwood10. MangoldDirectors who I like who need more films to properly rank(in no order): Abrams, Whedon, Bird, Johnson, Webb, Wyatt, Cuaron, Affleck, Blomkamp, Jones.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™