The Stingray

Top-10 Directors Working Today.

Top-10 Directors Working Today.  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the best director working today?

• Steven Spielberg
    • J.J. Abrams
    • Danny Boyle
    • Coen brothers
    • Martin Scorsese
    • Paul Thomas Anderson
    • Darren Aronofsky
    • Christopher Nolan
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • David Fincher
    • Other (please specify below)

The way I set it up, the director must have made at least 3 films that I have seen from 2000 onward and can only be judged on the films made from 2000 onward. So James Cameron is inelgible because he's made only 1 film since 1997. PTA for me is ineligible since I only have seen one of his post-2000 films so far. You get the idea.So based on how I grade the films the directors have made, this is my current top 3:1. Ben Affleck (Result of 3 Films): 9.467/102. Jason Reitman (Result of 4 Films): 9.350/103. Paul Greengrass (Result of 3 Films): 9.333/10

I think Phil Lord and Chris Miller are flying under the radar right now but will be big names after 2014.   I enjoyed their first two directorial efforts.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was a movie that I surprisingly enjoyed and 21 Jump Street was entertaining as well not to mention made alot of $$.  Their next film, Lego: Piece of Resistance I think will be a hit for the younger generation and the older nostalgic generation.  They obviously have range so I'm hoping they get a chance to make a big budget picture after Lego.

Keep an eye out on these guys....just watch.

Fincher and Nolan wouldn't make my list, even though they've each made two masterpieces. They apply the same look and tone to all of their projects, and their success rate is more mixed than, say, Soderbergh's or Spielberg's, who are in a similar position. 

1. Joel and Ethan Coen  

2. Paul Thomas Anderson 

3. Quentin Tarantino 

4. Steven Spielberg 

5. Martin Scorsese 

6. Darren Aronofsky 

7. Steven Soderbergh 

8. Ang Lee 

9. Michael Haneke 

10. Michael Mann 

The order is somewhat arbitrary, cause they're all brilliant. 

Also, who the hell voted for J.J Abrams?

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Fincher and Nolan wouldn't make my list, even though they've each made two masterpieces. They apply the same look and tone to all of their projects, and their success rate is more mixed than, say, Soderbergh's or Spielberg's, who are in a similar position. 1. Joel and Ethan Coen 2. Paul Thomas Anderson 3. Quentin Tarantino 4. Steven Spielberg 5. Martin Scorsese 6. Darren Aronofsky 7. Steven Soderbergh 8. Ang Lee 9. Michael Haneke 10. Michael Mann The order is somewhat arbitrary, cause they're all brilliant. Also, who the hell voted for J.J Abrams?

Whats wrong with abrams?

1. James Cameron

2. Quentin Tarantino

3. Christopher Nolan

4. David Fincher

5. Michael Bay

6. Brad Stanton or maybe it is Andrew Bird

7. That Steven guy, he s ok. Without Lincoln, he would be a bit higher

8. Guillermo Del Toro

9. The Wachoski Siblings

10. Martin Scorcese

11. Sam Mendes

12 Michael Mann

Fall out from grace : PTA, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott whose last films ranked from meh to horrendous.

Up and comming

David O.Russell

Ben Affleck

Joe Carnahan

Joss Whedon

Matthew Vaughn

JJ Abrams