iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

No way this drops more than 50% lol. That is just insane... I understand that some people consider it bad, but I don't think it's THAT bad.

I really don't want another frustrating discussion about 2nd weekend drops. One in one year is enough.I said it..... better believe it. ;)

I predicted 88m, so this is even below my lower than average prediction. Oh well, I now think the film will have better legs than I thought as people discover it's not as boring as they may have been suspecting. I see a 340-380m finish, or right in TTT/ROTK unadjusted range.

• Like 1

No way this drops more than 50% lol. That is just insane... I understand that some people consider it bad, but I don't think it's THAT bad.

It's not the matter of good or bad. The next weekend is not exactly a holiday one, mid-Dec openers like KK, TL, SH2, IAL all dropped over 50% there. I think the best case scenario for TH would be a 46% drop of Alice in Wonderland. But it will stabilize after that. IAL dropped 18% on the Dec 28-30 weekend, I think TH could easily have a sub-15% drop to go along with great weekdays.

It's not the matter of good or bad. The next weekend is not exactly a holiday one, mid-Dec openers like KK, TL, SH2, IAL all dropped over 50% there. I think the best case scenario for TH would be a 46% drop of Alice in Wonderland. But it will stabilize after that. IAL dropped 18% on the Dec 28-30 weekend, I think TH could easily have a sub-15% drop to go along with great weekdays.

+1

I just want to point out that marketing for TH was embarrasingly lazy. LOTR marketing was one of the most inventive ever, where they really did a Gebels job of creating a monolithic cult-like devotion to the movie and director by playing up unprescended camaraderie (9 members getting tattoos is just one fo many anecdotes), PJ`s now obviously staged but once believed genuine Hobbitness (he was walking around and directing barefoot which he stopped doing ever since Shriekapoo swept the awards) , cast always appearing together and them being so young and bubbly charmed adults and teens wanted to be like them, those insane DVD extras that contianed all those cast and crew banter and OMG being such a great big family and creating a history and shit. TH has nothing. Vlogs were business as usual. LOTR had them too. KK had them too. Cast doesn`t even try to play the chemistry but all promo is done by having Freeman and McKellen on talk shows separately. Granted, bunch of actors whose age averige is 48 or something goofying around wouldn`t produce as good effect as having bunch of actors averige age 22 doing the same. But they didn`t do anything. PJ didn`t do anything about HFR backlash. JC sold people on Avatar`s 3D because he tirelessly made appearance everywhere to educate about 3D. Moreover, the camaraderie is something that TA used to its advantage to sell the movie. Actors were out everywhere together bantering, joking, goofying, praising each other,etc so audience could get the feel of a) togetherness and team work, B) that they are creating something really special, a historical movie and c) they wanted to be like those guy or hang out with them. But TH? They seem to be simply thinking that people would come because it`s LOTR prequel. Absolutely no effort to make this an event. LOTR was an experience off the screen thanks to superbly orchestrated marketing that was broadcasting in different ways that this was a historical event. Th was lazy ass. PJ&wives appear at BNAT as usual. Post some vlogs as usual. Studio reelases trailers and spots as usual. Actor by actor does talk shows as usual. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This is a depressing OW, no other way to say it, but I think WOM is every bit LOTR level with general audiences, possibly even better since the Hobbit is much lighter for those who may have found LOTR too heavy handed. I'm still holding onto 400 possibilities, and you can tell me whatever you want about how it can't have that multi, but I think it can.I do find it interesting to note how our perception is of box office around here though. If you look everywhere else the Hobbit is being called a "record smasher" and not being played as a disappointing start at all. It's really just us box office over-analyzers that are saying that.

I agree The Hobbit marketing campaign was very weak. I hope they do an epic trailer for the next one.

I never liked the second trailer much myself, especially now that I've seen the movie. They played up the Bomber fat jokes and whatnot when that kind of thing is barely even in the movie. I thought the first trailer was perfect, but after that the marketing was very weak.
  • Like 2

The Hobbit being called a record smasher is spin. Nothing but.

Go look around most entertainment sites that report on box office. The headlines on all of them are basically "Hobbit smashes December records" or something to that effect. Like I said, our perception of box office here is much different than the general public's.

I never liked the second trailer much myself, especially now that I've seen the movie. They played up the Bomber fat jokes and whatnot when that kind of thing is barely even in the movie. I thought the first trailer was perfect, but after that the marketing was very weak.

The first trailer has some stuff that was saved to the next movie. Like Gandalf

going to the ruins and facing the Necromancer

I agree The Hobbit marketing campaign was very weak. I hope they do an epic trailer for the next one.

I`m sorry but epic trailer isn`t the only reason why LOTR was an event. Eveyrone cna have an epic trailer. Cloud Atlas has one too. The way they created the sense of living the whole thing with the cast was brilliant.

Go look around most entertainment sites that report on box office. The headlines on all of them are basically "Hobbit smashes December records" or something to that effect. Like I said, our perception of box office here is much different than the general public's.

Because it did. It isn`t a different perception. It did smash December record. That`s what goes into the headline. In the main body of the text, that many people may not read, hence why the good news is in the headline, they might explain that it fell short of adjusted Shriekapoo but most people don`t even know what that means. Edited by fishnets