filmnerdjamie

Tuesday Numbers (12/18)

No one should be thinking of $400m. How about a more reachable milestone like $350m?

How about $300m?It's the first meh number since OD. Depending on how other movies increased, it could drop over 20% today. Back to I Am Legend territory.

Except openers, they don't go up often.

Well, that's not entirely true: Here are the first Tuesday increases for other big releases since October:BD2: 16.7%Skyfall: doesn't count because of the week it openedWreck it Ralph: 60.4%Cloud Atlas: 40%PA4: 16%Argo: 6.4%Taken 2: -28%So it's really not that great an increase. But it has more to do with the time of year than anything.

Why not 350? Serious question, because I think a 4.5 multiplier is possible - it opened a week earlier than the LotR films, so holiday weekdays are a week later in its run, but they will come.

Because it is not going to have fantastic WOM. It is going to be very bifurcated to say the least.
  • Like 2

Why not 350? Serious question, because I think a 4.5 multiplier is possible - it opened a week earlier than the LotR films, so holiday weekdays are a week later in its run, but they will come.

Because it is not going to have fantastic WOM. It is going to be very bifurcated to say the least.

This. And also competitions will be a problem.

Well, that's not entirely true: Here are the first Tuesday increases for other big releases since October:BD2: 16.7%Skyfall: doesn't count because of the week it openedWreck it Ralph: 60.4%Cloud Atlas: 40%PA4: 16%Argo: 6.4%Taken 2: -28%

I'm sure that increase for BD2 had more to do with being Thanksgiving week, all the increases on that day were above average. WIR had its Tuesday be the election, which does wonders for kids films. CA had it the day before Halloween. Maybe increases in this part of December are more subdued?But it's still not very common.

Tuesday's top movies: #1 THE HOBBIT - $7.8M ($100M), #2 LINCOLN - $925k ($109M), #3 SKYFALL - $875k ($273M) "The Hobbit should've had a bigger increase but it can still cross $40M in its 2nd weekend. Lincoln and Skyfall continue to do well.