CJohn

Christmas Day Numbers | Les Miserables: 18.1M | DU: 15M | The Hobbit: 11.3M | PG: 6.5M

Most of this thread has spent it's time dissing the hobbit when i think that number quite fine when looked at in context. yes it's a disappointment but to be honest the whole run has been a dissappointment, but 300 is still looking pretty good to me.here's why:I'm doing a comparison to Fellowship which had Christmas on the tuesday also. Accept Fellowship opened on wednesday, 19th December and the hobbit opened on 14th December. So if you line up christmas day on both runs, the christmas day totals for both films look like this:LOTR: FOTR vs TH: AEJDecember21: 14.5m vs 10.1m22: 17.1m vs 14.2m23: 15.9m vs 12.7m24: 7.3m vs 6.9m (EST)25: 11.6m vs 11.3m (EST)26: 12.1m vs ?27: 11.0m vs ?Fellowship followed these weekdays with a weekend of 38.7m (2nd weekend). i'm seeing a very similar pattern now after the first week had played out... this is apples for apples even though it will be going into the hobbits 3rd weekend as against Fellowships 2nd. All I am saying is, this number isn't as bad people think and those thinking 14m for christmas were probably kidding themselves anyway.

• Like 1

Oh, geez, can`t you accept the fact that now that new movies are released talk about TH is rendered irrelevant? Don`t you watch anything else but that thing over and over? Anyway, I`m seeing it tomorrow for free cause I sure as hell won`t contribute to Katie Jackson`s plastic surgery fund.

• Like 3

Oh, geez, can`t you accept the fact that now that new movies are released talk about TH is rendered irrelevant? Don`t you watch anything else but that thing over and over? Anyway, I`m seeing it tomorrow for free cause I sure as hell won`t contribute to Katie Jackson`s plastic surgery fund.

LMAO!

Posted Image
  • Like 1

Most of this thread has spent it's time dissing the hobbit when i think that number quite fine when looked at in context. yes it's a disappointment but to be honest the whole run has been a dissappointment, but 300 is still looking pretty good to me.

here's why:

I'm doing a comparison to Fellowship which had Christmas on the tuesday also. Accept Fellowship opened on wednesday, 19th December and the hobbit opened on 14th December. So if you line up christmas day on both runs, the christmas day totals for both films look like this:

LOTR: FOTR vs TH: AEJ

December

21: 14.5m vs 10.1m

22: 17.1m vs 14.2m

23: 15.9m vs 12.7m

24: 7.3m vs 6.9m (EST)

25: 11.6m vs 11.3m (EST)

26: 12.1m vs ?

27: 11.0m vs ?

Fellowship followed these weekdays with a weekend of 38.7m (2nd weekend). i'm seeing a very similar pattern now after the first week had played out... this is apples for apples even though it will be going into the hobbits 3rd weekend as against Fellowships 2nd.

All I am saying is, this number isn't as bad people think and those thinking 14m for christmas were probably kidding themselves anyway.

Posted Image
  • Like 1

I would rather read 150 other projections of possible Hobbit-runs, than reading your annoying spam/hate/whatever-posts again and again and again. It may have been fun 1 month ago, today it's like yesterdays christmas eve thread after having jumped the snake shark .

Now back to Box Office...

Les Miserables didn't quite do the 20m some hoped for, but with the Hobbit and Django out, too and the low theater count, maybe it faced a little capacity problem not being in the biggest theaters.

It's still a great number and with its Cinemascore, especially with women, it should have a long run until the Oscars.

Also, its low female share may be a good sign, as womens movies usually do good numbers on Dec 26th and so more women could come to cinemas, after all the christmas dinner stuff is finally behind them.

We have 2 other musical comparisons for ChristmasDay, we have "Dreamgirls" and "Sweeney Todd" (that one already opened some days earlier), none had a drop bigger than 35% on Dec 26th, so i can't see "Les Miserables" being an exception.

With good WOM (Ratings at IMDB and RT are up considerably compared to yesterday) and some Oscar nominations, expect 70-80m in its first 6 days and a total of more than 200m.

Django Unchained had a great opening day, no question. Right in line with "Inglorious Basterds". How can it hold from here? It probably won't do as bad as "AVP" 5 years ago, but it could be more frontloaded than other movies are over christmas, even though sellouts look not bad at all for today. It should manage to open to 45-50m over its 6day-opening for a total of 110-120m.

Parental Guidance is not the huge surprise early numbers made us believe, but it's still way above expectations. It really has to be compared to "Cheaper by the dozen", as that's a perfect match for its possible box office run. "Cheaper" had a bigger OD and movies are a little more frontloaded today, but it should make 35-40m for the first 6 days and somehow cross the magic 100m mark, maybe even as high as 110m.

I mentioned it yesterday: Holidays are exciting again, i really like that.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

Why would Django be more frontloaded then Les Mis? Django was dependent on walk ups and Les Mis was dependent on presales.

Tarantino, targeting a male audience. Look at how "The great debaters" and "AVP" dropped after opening on Christmas day. I just compared it to those, but as i said, sellouts for Django look good again today, so maybe i'm wrong and those comparisons are not the best matches.

You guys have to promise not to freak out when Les Mis drops 40%+ today, okay?

I agree with you. I think Les Mis might be more front loaded than people realize. Anyway, I loved the movie. I was not familiar with the story and had no clue what would happen. I thought it was excellent. Maybe the critics saw the theater production and felt this didn't measure up as much as they hoped. I don't know. But, going in not knowing what would happen, I was in for a real treat.

It will happen. There is no way it doesn't :lol: The freak out is bound to happen.

I'm sure it is likely to happen but it won't be because of theaters near me. The theater near me sold out all 7 showings yesterday and tonight it is 6 out of 7 with the last one getting close and over 3 hours left to sell out.Now that I think about it, Canada might actually soften the blow for drops today. Yesterday happened to fall on discount Tuesday which means ticket prices were $7.99 instead of the normal $12.99 for openers, but they are back to full price today and selling out the same number of shows.

When is N world become such controversial ? Many times even JFK address black people with it and he was definitely not racist.

Within the last few years, saying the n word has become worse than saying fuck in America. I'm not sure when that happened, but saying the n word is simply not something one does, unless your black, then it is okay to say it.

I`m sorry but how the hell you can make a movie set in time where N word was the only word without saying it or by saying some PC substitute? By playing it PC you lose authenticity. besides, QT isn`t PC and the movie isn`t supposed to make one comfortable. Quite the contrary.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Sellouts were both very strong for Les Mis, and Django today. I don't see either one of them dropping too heavily. Hobbit has a chance to be #1 today.

But why? is it the theater count? Can LM get more theaters on frdiay? Can TH start losing theaters? I don`t want TH to be #1 anymore. 2 weeks is enough because it`s less than other LOTR movies. It`s very important to prove how much weaker TH is so that other 2 get some really super strong competition they can`t fend off. Edited by fishnets