CJohn

Monday Numbers | The Hobbit - 6.95M | Django Unchained - 5.2M

Granted I know very little about economics, but why is TA's adjusted gross lower than its actual gross?

Because BOM feels like setting the average ticket price for 2013 a whole 16 cents lower than 2012 even thought it hasn't gone a day yet.

Cameron made more money with Avatar than Spielberg with his last 7 movies!

Spielberg ka-chinged every single genre, Cameron is only proven in two and makes a film per decade. A King can not reign if he's not around. ;) Spielberg is the #1 and there's absolutely no doubt about this. Lincoln hitting 160m is incredible.
  • Like 1

Churning out moderate hits twice a year does not make one king.$160m for Lincoln is not incredible, it's good. Lincoln (the man) is a very popular american historical figure, plus elections and Oscar bait... of course people are gonna be interested.

Edited by Elessar

Churning out moderate hits twice a year does not make one king.

$160m for Lincoln is not incredible, it's good. Lincoln (the man) is incredibly popular, plus elections and Oscar bait... of course people are gonna be interested.

$160m is a little more than people being interested. I think the performance has been downright phenomenal.

Highest grossing movies WW- progressive records (original runs only):Jaws (1975): 471MStar Wars (1977) : 503ME.T. (1983): 664MJurassic Park: 915MTitanic: 1842MAvatar: 2749MSpielberg: 3Cameron: 2Lucas: 1Nolan: 0

Edited by Fake

As a starter Spielberg created the term blockbuster. He owned the 80s and the 90s. When I say owned I mean really owned, not just releasing A highest grossing film of the decade, releasing a half dozen. Whatever the man touches turns to gold. Clearly he wasn't at his best recently, but that's because he's daring himself to do different things

• Like 4

just fun fact:

Films directed by Steven Spielberg have been the highest-grossing film of the year on 6 occasions in 1975, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1989 and 1993. William Wyler (1942, 1946, 1959 and 1968) and Cecil B. DeMille (1947, 1949, 1952 and 1956) are in second place, each with four films, while Leo McCarey (1932, 1944 and 1945), George Roy Hill (1966, 1969 and 1973) and James Cameron (1991, 1997 and 2009) all feature heavily with three films apiece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

• Like 1

Cameron seriously gets lucky with his movies. They're not that good. Spielberg is probably the most respected director of our time.

That's an idiotic statement. Cameron knows what works with audiences and has delivered every time. Lets end this nonsensical debate and just say they both are all-time directors.
  • Like 2