CJohn

Monday Numbers | The Hobbit - 6.95M | Django Unchained - 5.2M

Sorry but no. Decade-long gap is not a strength because your name doesn`t get publicity during hiatus time. Short turnover between movies keeps one hot. So Cameron was taking a huge risk here because he was way hotter right after Titanic (think PJ after Shriekapoo Oscar sweep) than he was when he started Avatar production, 10 years later. It`s a testament to his vision that Fox backed up Avatar.

Fox was reluctant about Avatar for a long time. If you knew how it got financed, you will discover that Fox financed less than half of the production budget. Edited by dashrendar44

Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher has done solid business, but unspectacular business, since rolling out Dec. 21. The Paramount pic grossed $3.4 million on Monday for a total $47.7 million.

I like how it's doing regardless of studio expectations. It'll be over $60m by next weekend most likely and over $100m WW soon after that.

Fox was reluctant about Avatar for a long time. If you knew how it got financed, you will discover that Fox financed less than half of the production budget.

Proves my point even better. Cameron has balls of steel which is why he doesn`t care if he didn`t forge iron when it was hot. He`s Iron Jim. His iron`s always hot.
  • Like 1

Of course if you add high price IMAX tickets and innovative 3D.however adjusted gross is more important and Spielberg has 2 in top 10.http://boxofficemojo...me/adjusted.htm

Nobody tries to cheat Spielberg out of his blockbuster king status. However, he was the king in 70s and 80s when his movies ended up top of the decade. His last super-blockbuster was JP that came very close to $1 billion but Titanic blew it away by coming close to $2 billion (it passed the mark with the rerelease). So from 90s onwards, Cameron took over. That`s undenibale because no amount of ajusting to infaltion could make JP pass Titanic. The boat kicked dino ass fair and square.
  • Like 4

Oh yay, another Spielberg/Cameron/Nolan argument.

You`ll notice that Nolan is almost entirely absent from the conversation. Though if he continues to churn out blockbusters as a director and godfather blockbusters, he`ll become somehting akin to a late-bloomer Spielberg (since Steven achieved his blockbuster king status before the age of 30, unheard of in the business).

You`ll notice that Nolan is almost entirely absent from the conversation. Though if he continues to churn out blockbusters as a director and godfather blockbusters, he`ll become somehting akin to a late-bloomer Spielberg (since Steven achieved his blockbuster king status before the age of 30, unheard of in the business).

I included him so I wouldn't get scalped by some rabid Nolanite.
  • Like 1

Nobody tries to cheat Spielberg out of his blockbuster king status. However, he was the king in 70s and 80s when his movies ended up top of the decade. His last super-blockbuster was JP that came very close to $1 billion but Titanic blew it away by coming close to $2 billion (it passed the mark with the rerelease). So from 90s onwards, Cameron took over. That`s undenibale because no amount of ajusting to infaltion could make JP pass Titanic. The boat kicked dino ass fair and square.

Yes but little alien sinks it when "God himself could not sink this ship". ;)

Oh jeez. Don't get me wrong, I love the shit out of Nolan, but I don't think he belongs in the same breath as Cameron and Speilberg just yet. There I said it!

I think that is totally fair. Nolan needs a few more completely original blockbusters to reach that level and I believe that can happen.